Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovering from surgery with small children...

...Is it possible? Or should I hold off on this process until my kids are older? :smile2:

I'm a stay-at-home-mom to an almost 3 year old and a 5 month old. My husband helps, of course, but... Someone around here has to make MONEY so I leave it up to him! :w00t:

Would I be able to recover and care for my kids? Or... ``With their ages would that be nearly impossible?

(I'm attending seminar next Wed and will be able to meet with a surgeon only after I've attended that-- so I am SUPER early in the game!)

You will have lifting limitations for about 4 weeks. With an infant, I imagine that would be difficult without full-time help.

I didn't have any lifting restrictions. Just don't do what hurts is what my doc said. I have a 5 year old and he was very understanding and gentle. I am sure you could explain to the 3 year old mommy has a boo boo on her tummy. I would find a sitter for about 3-4 days. I wouldn't put this off. Think off all you are missing out on. How hard is it for you to keep up with them? It will get harder as they get older.

For my son's fourth birthday we got him a power wheels harley. He took off down the street on it and didn't hear me yelling for him to stop. I tried chasing him but just couldn't catch him. He almost ended up in traffic. The neihbor saw this happening ran inside to get her teenager to chase him down. I was scared and humiliated all at the same time.

There also was another time he ran out of a store into a parking lot. He was scared of the store potty.

It is so worth whatever it takes to get this done. Maybe your husband can use a few sick or vacation days. Even if you had someone come to your house and you watch them while they take care of the kids. Your still there just not doing the heavy duty things. A teen would be great for this. They could hand you the baby and you could still feed her/him. Now, that I have the band I realize it is worth everything I have gone through to get it.

I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old and am 5 weeks post op. I too think you should go ahead with it. Is there a friend,family or neighbor that could help while your husband is at work. I wasn't suppose to lift for 2 weeks. I think you should do what you can to do it now. Becca

Thanks for the quick responses! I have so many questions... But, I really feel I need to do something now. I've coached competitive gymnastics for years-- I was put on bedrest while pregnant with my 5 month old and have not returned... But, even at this weight (243) I'm still active-- can still even do back handsprings and stuff... Gosh... I just can't fathom how much BETTER I could feel with all of this weight pulling down on me! I want to enjoy my kids!!!

I have a 2 year old and a 2 month old baby. My surgery is scheduled in 4 days. Even though they are both small, this is really the best time for me to have the surgery since I am still on maternity leave and I can recover before going back to work. We will use a babysitter for the first 3 days and my husband will be home with me the rest of the week. I want to be a good example to my kids and this will give me the chance to teach them better eating habits thru my example & I will be able to run & keep up with them.

I had a 3yo and a 1yo at the time of my surgery. I didn't lift my 1 yo for a couple of days. My 3 yo was understanding when I showed him my stomach and why he had to be careful.

I had my surgery on a Thursday and by Monday it was just me plus I run a in home daycare. I found it easier to pick up my little one if I sat on the couch and got him up there with me. Then I would stand up and pick him up from the couch. I also had to change diapers on the couch because I couldnt get down and up from the floor very well.

Edited by TracyW2

Guys, a five-month-old is different from a toddler. And heavier than a 2-month-old.

I understand the desire to have it done right away--really, I do.

But talk with your doctor. S/he will tell you whether there are lifting restrictions, for how long, and for how much weight.

You don't want to learn that you have a restriction when the nurse is reading your discharge instructions and you have no backup at home.

Betsy, I agree... Especially since I have a darn needy 5 month old. LOL This is one on my growing list of questions to ask at the seminar. I'm under the impression here that it takes a good bit of time to get approved and get your surgery date-- so it might be a moot point. Heck... Calvin might be a toddler by the time I'm scheduled!

It's even more rough because... I'm not entirely certain I would tell the people who could help me out that I'm considering WLS. My mom is great... But, she would NOT be supportive of "the easy way out" of being obese. Which is frustrating. I suppose if it comes right down to it, my husband can use some vacation days to take the brunt of the baby.

I'll be quizzing my doctor as soon as I can! And thank again for such quick responses!

I love the name Calvin--and you're right: by the time you get approval, he may be very mobile!

I was just banded on 23 Feb and I am not allowed to lift anything heavier than 5 lbs for two months. I don't have any kids, but I do have nieces and nephews that I care for from time to time.

Melissa: I totally understand about not telling anyone about WLS. I've only told a few choice people, and that does not include my mother, either. She would not understand, as you put it, taking the "easy way out". She would just say "stop eating!" We are trying to arrange babysitting ourselves.

Hey Melissa. I have three kids, ages 1,3 and a daughter just turned 6. I had spoken to my doctor about the lifting restrictions regarding my 29 lb 1-year-old and he said that wouldn't be a problem...I could pick him up as long as I went slowly and was used to picking him up beforehand. HOWEVER, I will have abnormal lifting restrictions after the band because of an umbilical hernia that is being repaired at the same time. That is the only thing causing the lifting restriction for me.

All doctors are different and you should always speak to them first and ask for their reasoning behind decisions. It should be noted, though, that my band doctor, Dr. Vallina, was a pioneer in laparoscopic appendectomies back in the early nineties...he did my appendectomy through my belly button and three small ports...and he is doing my WLS (very weird coincidence - didn't know until I had my meeting with him that he was my appendectomy doc), so I am fairly confident that he understands lifting restrictions in regard to lap surgery.

I went through SitterCity and found an awesome sitter. She will be here for the first week throughout the day to deal with any lifting issues. My parents (don't get me started on crazy weight loss moms) will be in Egypt and not able to help, fortunately or unfortunately, not sure which. My husband works fairly long hours, too, and is very busy right now so extra time off really isn't an option for him.

You have a decent amount of time to figure it all out, but you sounds like an organized person, so my guess is, you'll end up with a good plan that will work for all of you. Good luck...I'm so excited for you. When you finally get to this point, it's almost a relief to be done with the decision.