Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I under stand there is nausea.. but is that it?

The anesthesia causes me to have very bad nausea even when they give me meds to help.

The only other thing that comes to mind that has been a real drag since being banded is the thinning hair.

Everyone will be so different. You have youth on your side. The younger you are, the better you heal.

Now that I think more about it, I had severe fatigue for longer than most. I also had left shoulder pain from pressure on my phrenic nerve for months. But I think your age will help you bounce back from that type of stuff fast too.

I would think fatigue because of the change in eating and your body needing so many calories to run your body at a certain weight. but my mom was saying something about gas problems and she is afraid that i would get that and be embarrassed with myself over that. but out of most the things i read on here didnt have any such thing

would think fatigue because of the change in eating and your body needing so many calories to run your body at a certain weight. but my mom was saying something about gas problems and she is afraid that i would get that and be embarrassed with myself over that. but out of most the things i read on here didnt have any such thing

Vixian,

The previous poster is correct. You are young and the side effects should be minimal. However, that being said I must add the the day I had my surgery there were 2 other people having it the same day. I was age 40 surgery day the other person was in her 40's or early 50's (can't quite remember) and the third person was 20. Myself and the other older woman handled the surgery very well. The 20 year old had the most problems as she couldn't stop puking. I felt so bad for her and there was nothing I could do. The nurse really took care of her and worked her butt off to make her comfortable but it is one of those things that you don't know until it happens. Anethesia obviously affects people differently. I guess you don't know till it happens to you but just be mindful it could happen and it sucks.

That being said I must add the anethesia used in Mexico where I had my surgery and what they use in the states(I had my gall bladder removed in 06) is quite different. No hang over crap from the stuff they used in Mexico. Recovered much quicker however my memory isn't as good from the day as it is from my gall bladder surgery. Could just be me and how I handled the difference.

I guess my point is anethesia is weird and affects folks so differently. Can't count on one persons experience however you can relate to one more than the other.

Good luck.

Vayron

Oh,

One other thing. Fatique is not a factor for me and still isn't. Been on a 21 day liquid diet and hunger the last 3 days has been almost unbearable but I'm not tired. Been reading these boards for a while and some folks have horrible fatique. I guess it comes to knowing yourself and how you have re-acted to previous diets etc.

Vayron,

I have never had anesthesia so i am hoping it will go good because i have decieded i want this. I dont wanna feel like crap about myself anymore or be embarassed by my experiences and all that i read about teen success on an oparah site. and if anyone can find a failed teen one please send it to me. I am just so depressed that i would even let myself get like this.. because i love to rollerblade, bike and swim.. and i can do any of them like this.. i am either embarassed of i nearly faint from trying. Thank you all for posting so a site like this it helped me alot

I would think fatigue because of the change in eating and your body needing so many calories to run your body at a certain weight. but my mom was saying something about gas problems and she is afraid that i would get that and be embarrassed with myself over that. but out of most the things i read on here didnt have any such thing

I do seem to have more gas, but you do learn to control your body functions just like when you don't have the band.

Sometimes during or after eating you need to burp. For me it isn't one of those big ones where you could burp the ABCs. Even in public you can just put your hand to your mouth a little and the people around you don't even know you burped. As far as the other end, yes I do seem to fart more. But you learn to control that too just as you would now. Go to the bathroom, pass gas when you have a moment alone.

It all works out and I think you will have a much happier life as a young adult if you can kick this obesity thing. Good luck on your life journey :smile2:

By "side effects," do you mean the expected after effects immediately postoperatively, or the lasting effects of being banded?

For the latter, I've had NONE. No nausea, no vomiting, no tiredness, no weakness related to "starvation" (because all of our bodies have PLENTY of reserves to provide us wi energy). I have been hungry, but expect that I will experience less of that as restriction improves. I pee lots more--because I drink lots more. Really, that is the most significant side effect. Oh, unless you're counting positive ones, like losing weight and LOTS of inches!

If you're asking about the immediate postop stuff, most doctors medicate their patients preop to avoid postop nausea. You will have a very, very dry mouth, and possibly a sore throat (related to intubation during surgery). You will have pain, but it won't be unmanageable---accept the pain meds that are offered to you. That may bring another side effect: Constipation. Plenty of fluids, a Fiber supplement, and a stool softener (the latter two only if okayed by your doctor) usually do the trick.) The pain meds may also cause your scalp and face to be itchy; unless hives form, this is NOT an allergic reaction, but rather an expected (and harmless) side effect of narcotics.

I under stand there is nausea.. but is that it?

I had no nausea. I did have gas pains and bloating. Overall, that is the only side effect I had from the surgery.