Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

not sure if I'm ready for a fill or not. thoughts from some veteran bandsters?

I had surgery near the end of December, and had my first fill (5cc) almost a month ago. Since then, I definitely notice I have some restriction. I'm scheduled to go for another fill at the end of next week, but I'm debating whether or not I need it yet. I am satisfied at the high end of my calorie limit (about 1200/day), able to get everything down without difficulty, including thin toasted bread and Pasta, have not been stuck once (thank God), and losing at a good pace (almost ten pounds). Like expected, I'm tighter in the morning, which is fine. I have my Protein Shake and I'm good to go for a while. I usually go about 3 hours between meals before I get hungry. BUT by the end of the day, I'm eating more quantity-wise than I feel than I should be. I can usually eat a cup and a half of food without being uncomfortable. SO-do I go and get a fill next Friday? Cancel it and reschedule in a couple weeks? Get a small fill? I don't know what the right answer is. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. I definitely want to make sure I have restriction, but at the same time I like not PBing everything I try to consume, and would like to keep it that way.

I would probably not get the fill, but I don't like my band tight. IF you decide to get the fill, I would go 1cc or even less. Any more, and you will be risking becoming too tight. Discuss everything you just said with your doc and then together make the decision. DO NOT leave his/her office if the Water they have you drink goes down slowly. Make them take some of the fill out if it is too slow going down.

I personally would get the fill...it will speed up your weight loss..and for me ...that really motivated me and helped me to make better food choices. Now that I am closer to goal , I am looser....but it is really up to you. Good luck in your decision.

a cup and a half is one cup more than my doctor recommends. Most recommend between 1/2 and one cup at a setting. I would get the fill

I know my doc's office says 1/2C to 1C is a good amt to eat, and I know that I'm eating more than that at one sitting at dinnertime. But I guess I'm scared that if I get filled I'll be too tight, and have to deal with getting stuck and being forced to limit my food choices. And I'm able to stay within my calories rather easily still, so I'm not sure which gauge I should go by (calories vs. amount consumed) I'll probably call the nurse at the office and get her opinion too. (She'll more than likely tell me to keep the appt and talk with the doc about it when I come in, but I don't want to sit in the waiting room for 2 hours only to not get a fill. Plus, they kinda hurt to get, so I don't really want to get one till I need it.) I really appreciate the feedback I'm getting on this. Thanks a lot, everyone!

Abby, you sound very hesitant to get a fill, so I think you should go with your instincts. Cancel the appt and reschedule it in 2 weeks. If you still aren't ready, move it another 2 weeks. You are doing well, so why mess with success?

Best wishes,

Mimi

I know my doc's office says 1/2C to 1C is a good amt to eat, and I know that I'm eating more than that at one sitting at dinnertime. But I guess I'm scared that if I get filled I'll be too tight, and have to deal with getting stuck and being forced to limit my food choices.

As many people have said in other posts, it is a sliding scale of how much is the "right amount". It varies from one person to the next, it varies with one person from one month to the next. It varies for many people, you and I included, from morning to evening. PB'ing, or being too tight will not help you in the long run. But being afraid of getting a fill, because you don't want the momentary pain, can work against you, in the mind games we play with ourselves, blaming your desire for no pain, on not getting a fill.

And I'm able to stay within my calories rather easily still, so I'm not sure which gauge I should go by (calories vs. amount consumed)

Both, and sometimes, neither. We all know, at least I have been there, and working hard not to go there anymore, that you can have a really "bad" food choice that you manage to get into 1 cup or less. And tracking just calories, leaves out the whole spectrum of that part of the discussion around food quality, food nutrition, balanced diet. Many Dr, and many people here on the forums say eat your Protein first, your veg second, and then whatever else fits into your meal without making you uncomfortably full. Nowhere in that guideline do I read how many calories that should come to. It is talking about stopping before you are uncomfortable, so I guess that falls in the "amount consumed" gauge. But you know, intellectually, that you need to plan your meals, and work toward balanced, good choices, whatever that looks like in your world, let the band help you limit the amount of food you are eating, and then look at the big picture. If you are eating small portions of good quality, balanced food, and still not loosing weight, then maybe a fill will help you eat less. You also need to keep your food journal handy, and review with your NUT/DR/friends who help you stay accountable, your food choices. That is where the calories side of the gauge comes in. There might be ways you can cut out 100 cal here, or there, and stay within the balanced, eat a comfortable amount, and the weight will start/keep coming off.

This whole discussion is not taking into account exercise, but we will leave that for another post, since that is not what you asked about. Just my 2 cents, worth about $.01 in today's economy. :angry:

Don't get me wrong; my diet is actually quite balanced. My doc's office said exactly what you mentioned-protein first, veggies second, carbs if there's room. Which there usually isn't. Sticking to a well-balanced healthy diet isn't the difficult part. I'm really good at the journaling too, so I have a good record of what I've been eating and when. And while the fills hurt, it's not bad enough that I wouldn't go back. Hell, I survived surgery, it's not nearly as bad as that. But I just wonder if I need a fill when I'm losing at a good pace (about 2 pounds a week) and am satisfied with what my doc said I should be eating (which is 1000-1200 calories a day, well balanced, not junk). The nurse at the office said I could come in, but said I probably won't get a fill since I'm losing and not feeling hungry or snacking. So I think I'll just reschedule for another week or two and take it from there. Thank you all for your input. It's truly invaluable. I'm still getting started in this game, so it's nice to hear from someone who has been doing this awhile.

Don't get me wrong; my diet is actually quite balanced. My doc's office said exactly what you mentioned-Protein first, veggies second, carbs if there's room. Which there usually isn't. Sticking to a well-balanced healthy diet isn't the difficult part. I'm really good at the journaling too, so I have a good record of what I've been eating and when. And while the fills hurt, it's not bad enough that I wouldn't go back. Hell, I survived surgery, it's not nearly as bad as that. But I just wonder if I need a fill when I'm losing at a good pace (about 2 pounds a week) and am satisfied with what my doc said I should be eating (which is 1000-1200 calories a day, well balanced, not junk). The nurse at the office said I could come in, but said I probably won't get a fill since I'm losing and not feeling hungry or snacking. So I think I'll just reschedule for another week or two and take it from there. Thank you all for your input. It's truly invaluable. I'm still getting started in this game, so it's nice to hear from someone who has been doing this awhile.

If you are eating a balanced diet, and loosing weight, and you don't feel like you need a fill, then I think you are doing the right thing and waiting a few more weeks. I called my Dr. office before my last fill, to see if they had one two more weeks out, and they were full up, so I kept the one I had, and only got a tiny (.5cc) fill this time, and booked my next one for 6 weeks out instead of 4 weeks. We will see how I feel at that time.

Two lbs a week, you go girl, keep up the good work.

Here's what I do when I'm scheduled for a fill and I'm not sure if I need one.. I go see my surgeon anyway.. I tell him what has been going on and that I'm not sure if I need a fill or not... I let him make the decision, he's the expert.. LOL

I had surgery near the end of December, and had my first fill (5cc) almost a month ago. Since then, I definitely notice I have some restriction. I'm scheduled to go for another fill at the end of next week, but I'm debating whether or not I need it yet. I am satisfied at the high end of my calorie limit (about 1200/day), able to get everything down without difficulty, including thin toasted bread and Pasta, have not been stuck once (thank God), and losing at a good pace (almost ten pounds). Like expected, I'm tighter in the morning, which is fine. I have my Protein shake and I'm good to go for a while. I usually go about 3 hours between meals before I get hungry. BUT by the end of the day, I'm eating more quantity-wise than I feel than I should be. I can usually eat a cup and a half of food without being uncomfortable. SO-do I go and get a fill next Friday? Cancel it and reschedule in a couple weeks? Get a small fill? I don't know what the right answer is. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. I definitely want to make sure I have restriction, but at the same time I like not PBing everything I try to consume, and would like to keep it that way.