Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was totally craving pizza today so I jumped online and ordered an American Legends chicken pizza on a crispy thin crust and BBQ Wings. I was terrified of getting stuck so I chewed each bite then discreetly spit it into a napkin and only swallowed whatever residue was in my mouth... When I was done, There was about 1 1/2 cups of Chewed Pizza in my Napkin and I ran it down the garbage disposal...

The taste and feel of the cheese and chicken and crispy crust in my mouth was sooo Wonderful! I haven't had pizza since before I was banded on Dec 4th so this was just so delicious.... Since I knew I was spitting it out, I was taking normal sized bites like I used to take so I could really experience it in all its glory! It was so awesome to chew a real bite! It's like the different tastes buds around my mouth were getting to tastes so many different flavors at once... Haha... I had to be especially concientious to not swallow since they were bigger than my "normal" bites now...

Am I a total Glutton food addict for enjoying this pizza so much? I feel sooo Guilty now even though I didn't swallow 90% of the food or more... I feel guilty for how much I enjoyed it, like a drug addict getting a shot of their favorite drug.... I feel bad for how much pleasure this brought me, like I haven't changed one bit and I'll always be a fatty fat fat because of how much I love food....

Has anyone else ever done anything like this? Does anyone else feel this way?

Yes! I did that with a brownie this week! One of my students brought brownies for their birthday & I have been really good since banded 12/30/09 but I don't know something about that brownie was calling my name. I took a large first bite & man it was good! I swished it around my mouth then spit it out. Yumm-O! I took one more bite & repeated the same thing. Then I threw the brownie away.

Anyway sorry to relive my moment but I think you (we) are normal. You've lost about 25 pounds & that is outstanding. This band we have isn't around our brain. We have to train ourselves to think differently about food & not beat ourselves up when we don't live up to what we think we should be doing.

Enjoy the Super Bowl & Go Saints!!

We're human. Today I had my "revised" superbowl feast :woot: ... 4 bbq wings & 2tbs of spinach dip. Do I feel guilty... hell no. I actually feel proud. Even though I've been SURROUNDED by all of this food today, I showed some growth and discipline. A year ago, I would've eaten at least 20 wings, chips, beer, & a nice sweet treat for good measure. So don't beat yourself up to badly, tomorrow is another day!!

Best,

Lauren

GO SAINTS!!!! :)

Funny this was mentioned to day.. Lots of food around.. I was banded on January 13th.. I too would take bites of things and spit them in a napkin.. There was this yummy 7 layer dip I would take a chip suck off the dip(healthy version of the dip) and would throw away the chip lol.. :) I got through it though.. Tomorrow is a new day..

Im in the soft food portion about 11 days after surgery. I had some nice beanless chilli with a little parmesean cheese and it was awesome. Getting Protein from food is much better than drinking it!!!

I made a huge crock pot of chili last week and have been enjoying that at least once a day every day.... I put lots of Beans in it, but Man, I was just thinking about that pizza and craving it sooo bad.... But I made it through... Thank God it's Monday and a whole new fresh start... Plus I see my Dr. Tomorrow... I don't think I need a fill... I think it's perfect just the way it is....

Is chili a slider food? Someone on another thread said it is. I eat chili all the time. No fat, low cal and high Protein. Someone please clarify.

And yes, we are all food adicits! Otherwise we wouldn't be in the shape, or position, we are in. It's very hard to retrain your thought process to no longer think of food as "yummy" and "wonderful". My therapist tells me to replace thoughts such as these to, "We need food to sustain life." So HARD to do this!!!

I have read that chili is a slider food so I made it super thick... I actually thickened it with a large can of refried Beans instead of the Masa packet that comes in the six gun seasonings mix... 1/2-3/4 cup is very filling and because of all the Protein, it sticks with me for about 4 or 5 hours.... I used Black beans, White beans, Kidney Beans and refried beans plus ground turkey, sauted onions with red, and orange Bell Peppers..

I have read that chili is a slider food so I made it super thick... I actually thickened it with a large can of refried Beans instead of the Masa packet that comes in the six gun seasonings mix... 1/2-3/4 cup is very filling and because of all the Protein, it sticks with me for about 4 or 5 hours.... I used Black Beans, White beans, Kidney Beans and refried beans plus ground turkey, sauted onions with red, and orange Bell Peppers..

Sounds yummy! Opps. I'm not supposed to say that...lol

I think I'd be very careful about adopting a chew-and-spit habit; it's is a feature of a form of bulimia, and heading down that path might not be an approach you want to take. It might be a better idea, in the future, to find a good alternative---and actually eat a bit.

(I admit: I'm having a hard time imagining "discreetly" spitting a cup and a half of food into a napkin at a party!)

I totally understand the craving for pizza; I'm so glad that a local pizzeria makes a crustless pizza--it's a lifesaver. The "crust" is a thin layer of very lean sausage, and the nutritional info on it is surprisingly good.

it seems like a lot of people feel guilty about every little thing that they put in their mouth. I got the band to avoid all of that. Plus, most people were recommended the band because they don't usually make poor food choices, but rather have Portion Control problems. Everything is fine in moderation, I think.

Since I've been banded I have had iced cream, french fries, whatever I felt like, but just a little cause that is all I could fit in. And I don't feel bad!!:)

I'm glad you were able to "enjoy" your pizza. Yesterday pizza was sounding really good, but we had ribs instead. I should say everyone else had ribs, I made a pork shoulder Saturday in a crock pot and ate that instead, as the beef ribs we make, though tender, are very fatty and still tend to be a bit grisly.

I made a dessert for yesterday's festivities that allowed me to partake of it.

1 box low fat vanilla wafers

3/4 stick of butter

Crush wafers in food processor, add in melted butter, mix then pat into 9x13 inch pan, bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Let cool.

1 8 oz fat free cream cheese

1/2 cup Splenda

1 tsp vanilla

Mix and spread on top of crust.

1 box sugar free banana pudding

1-1/2 cups fat free milk

Mix and spread on top of cream cheese. Let set in fridge for about 20 minutes.

3 bananas - sliced thinly, layer on top of banana pudding

1 box sugar free chocoloate fudge pudding

1-1/2 cups fat free milk

1 8 oz contain extra creamy cool whip

Mix pudding and milk till dissolved, add cool whip. Spread over bananas. Let set in fridge for 20 minutes.

Top with dollops of cool whip (I used a cake decorating bag with tip) and chocolate curls (use a vegetable peeler on a large Hershey's bar), one per dollop of cool whip.

It was such a pretty dessert and really not bad for you at all. I cut it into 24 pieces.

Shoot...I'd just rather eat the food and enjoy it. Even though you aren't swallowing, you are taking in quite a number of calories despite that. If I'm going to get the calories, then I want my tummy to be satisfied too. :)

I can't eat regular pizza because the dough gets stuck, but my son loves those Totinos pizza rolls and I had about 6 of those this weekend. Satisfied my craving for pizza, had an acceptable number of calories, and filled me up.

it seems like a lot of people feel guilty about every little thing that they put in their mouth. I got the band to avoid all of that. Plus, most people were recommended the band because they don't usually make poor food choices, but rather have Portion Control problems. Everything is fine in moderation, I think.

Since I've been banded I have had iced cream, french fries, whatever I felt like, but just a little cause that is all I could fit in. And I don't feel bad!!:)

I concour! I typically eat healthy foods, I just eat too much. Every now and then, I want a burger...w/ fries. Granted I am only 4 weeks post op so I have not had a burger post band, but yesterday at a superbowl party I enjoyed some of everything, chips, dip, brownies. I just didn't hover over the food like I did preband. I still ate too much, but I ate less than 1/2 of what I would normally eat at a party. The good news is, I am not going to eat too much today, or tomorrow or proabably the rest of the week so it is ok for me to enjoy myself and act like a normal person on special occasions.

I was very good for about the first 6 months. Didn't eat anything that wasn't super nutritious. Now adays, if I crave pizza, I'll have a slice but it has to be crispy crust or I struggle with the dough.

Just because we are banded doesn't mean we can't ever enjoy food again. It is best not to deprive yourselves of everything you crave. The important part to learn is moderation. I find that allowing myself a treat from time to time helps me to learn what moderation is. It is okay to enjoy a slice of pizza. What we don't want to do is rush in and eat the entire thing or many slices.

One thing that really helps me to stay on track is this................If I work out in the morning before I go off to work I am less likely to eat the fattening foods. The thought of working my butt off at the gym is a great reminder that I don't want to ruin my day's hard work by stuffing my face. Thin tastes way better then food anyday!