Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The myth of exercise and weight loss

I'm pretty sure that we established that we meant excess exercise, apart from daily activity.

I am in total agreement. Exercise is good for you and has lots of benefits yes but it is not essential for weight loss. You also need to be careful of the type of exercise you choose if you do follow a formalised exercise regime as lots of sports people suffer injuries. Even playing Wii can be dangerous. LOL.

I know I should do more exercise but I am happy with the loss/rate of loss that I have achieved by only doing the "incidental" kind.

I said the original exercise comment -- tho it was aimed at a person who griped their band wasn't working but never mentioned exercise. Don't exercise then, it's not my body and you are an adult and do whatever the hell you want to do. My weight isn't going down so I am in the "unlucky" group that needs to exercise. Also, I got fat by sitting on my ass all day not moving. I wish I could lay around all day like a previous poster said and lose weight. I wish!!!! Regardless...Good luck to all in your weight loss struggle!!

Edited by Mangofish

One of the things that really stuck w/me during the pre-op education class is when the psychologist explained that the only consistent difference they've found between those who lose 100% of their excess weight and those who plateau at 60-70% is that the ones who go all the way to goal exercise every day or almost every day (6-7 days per week).

I suspect that this is the case because muscle is metabolically active and helps you burn more calories (even at rest). But, even if you can get to your goal weight without exercising, you probably aren't going to be happy w/the results if you still have a high percentage of body fat. Mine is 51% right now and my goal is to get to 30% (or less) by the time I reach my goal weight.

My boyfriend always says, "loosing weight is 80% what you put in your mouth. How good you look afterwards is 80% exercise". He looks damned good. So I am gonna go with what he says. (not trying to say anything about what was posted, just adding on)

I totally agree with this, i lost nearly all of my weight without excercise. However i wish that i had excercised throughout as perhaps i wouldnt have to work so hard to tone the muscles now so i look like a godess with no clothes on :)

Yes, you can lose weight without exercising. But you probably wont:

- lose weight as fast

- lose all your weight

- remedy all your health problems as quickly or fully

-chave the benefits of positive self esteem and

achievement that exercise can give you over and

above what you achieve diet wise

- look as good when you have lost your weight

enjoy the benefits such as feeling happier,

better, sleeping better to as great a degree

- have a tool which will keep your weight off forever, without requiring strict dieting to maintain

- be able to get away with eating things like wholegrain carbs as a regular part of your diet to the same degree

- be able to enjoy treats like a cookie, or a glass of wine as often

- be able to develop the same healthy relationship between food and activity and your weight

- retain as much lean muscle and lose as much fat as possible.

Exercise is so not about just losing weight and so much about all of those things. Plus people that value their fitness and athletic achievement naturally tend to eat better becuase they want to preserve that.

Losing weight IS all about what you put in your mouth. Revitalising your body, mind and life is about what you put in your mouth AND what you do to burn it off. That said , exercise need not be formal - gardening or swimming is great if running's not your thing. You just need to do a lot more of it for the same burn.

Exercise has definately been my downfall...I try to get in 30 minutes 4-5 days a weeks but it rarely ever happens that way. I teach Pre-Kindergarten so I get a lot of exercise at work with my kiddos though. I lost 100 pounds in a little less than 8 months. My skin is just now starting to get a little loose feeling so I'll be stepping up on the weights and cardio to try and tighten things up a bit but I feel awesome with what I've accomplished so far without a constant exercise routine. It is neccessary though to have good muscle tone so you don't have as bad of a time with the flappy skin. :)

Plus I always have really good ideas when out running - its great thinking time. I have to get my sixth grade class up to perform in assembly next week, we simply cant agree on what to do. So...... I went for a run and BINGO, my idea came to me. Quick, simple, easy and doesnt require negotiating with a bunch of 11 year olds.

You've gotta love that.

having just returned to full time work, its big time stress relief to me, I really value my running and boot camp time.

my hubby bought me a wii fit plus with some other games too i play those doesnt feel like excercise but 2 hours later an i burn 300 cals just playing boxing its awesome and i dont feel like it a chore it enjoyable, it works for.

Same here. I bought one for the family back when I knew I was going to get this surgery (November 09) and just started using it in January. It is soooo much fun but I'm telling you, that hula hoop one is a killer! I spent about 30 minutes on it just trying to beat my husband's score and the next morning...whew! Talk about sore hips!

But it's a truth, not a myth. Also equally as true is that ANY physical activity = exercise. If you're not considering your gardening, etc. to be such, then you're not only passing on faulty information, but also shortchanging yourself, by using inaccurate labels.

Betsy,

I am sorry you seem to be offended by my post...but I stand by every word.

I was very clear that my definition of *exercise* was a formal regimen such as a gym or program such as you would do with a trainer, etc. I was also very clear that we do not need such a formalized program, but that a healthy active lifestyle was an acceptable substitute.

So I am not passing on faulty information, nor shortchanging myself by using 'inaccurate' labels.

The math doesn't lie. If you cannot lose weight without exercising, then you are eating too many calories for your body's needs...assuming you do not have a medical condition that is causing it...and that's the bottom line.

Also, as I said in my post I was not arguing the merits of exercise or an active lifestyle.

I'm glad you can lose without exercise. I can't. Not a pound, not an ounce, not a gram without vigorous, daily exercise.

I'm fine with whomever wishes not to exercise, but really take exception with the sort of blanket statement that its necessity is a myth. It's necessary for optimal health. It's essential to a balanced, healthy life.

And for many of us, it is crucial to weight loss. If I'd accepted this 20 years sooner (you know, back when I was insisting the same thing you're saying now), I would never have yo-yoed up to the point of requiring bariatric surgery.

Exercise is a critical part of the equation, health-wise. For some of us, it is critical to weight loss. (And really, skipping it WILL ultimately affect yours, whether its while losing, during maintenance, or as you see the scale climb back up because you've lost muscle mass as you've lost weight, and therefore have a far lower metabolic rate.)

You don't have to believe it if you don't want to. And you don't have to do it.

But it's a truth, not a myth. Also equally as true is that ANY physical activity = exercise. If you're not considering your gardening, etc. to be such, then you're not only passing on faulty information, but also shortchanging yourself, by using inaccurate labels.

imnot saying that i dont do excercise i do but i use the games on wii to burn calories and excecise games such as biggest looser usa to add tone and strengh back up again whilst still burning calories. we dont have to runa marathon every day to loose weight and get fit, i cant because of disabilities anyway. but i have gone back to work now after 2 years not being able to because of my disabilities caused by avery serious car accident i had in jan 2007, that will also help ok im not throwing 1 ton bags around all day im a receptionist in a busy hotel chain, but im moving around for 8 hours a day.

Plus I always have really good ideas when out running - its great thinking time.

That's my problem...it gives me time to think...of all the things I could be doing if I wasn't walking on the treadmill. :)

Elfie, I'm not the least bit offended by your post; I don't agree with it, and stated why--for ME--it doesn't hold Water.

I'm glad you can do it without exercise. I can't. I'm okay with that--I like exercising. You're okay with your approach; all's good.

But I don't think it's splitting hairs to point out that exercise doesn't HAVE to mean lacing up shoes and heading to a gym. I would define your activities (gardening, etc) as exercising.

Saying that you are losing without exercise, then, is inaccurate; going a step further to say that exercise isn't necessary for loss is not fully responsible in that light. You're losing--AND you're exercising.

I realize that not everyone CAN exercise. (I actually have physical issues that have required HUGE modification in what I do, so I truly, truly understand this.) I also realize we all have different definitions of exercise.

The main thing I wanted to share is that, once upon a time, I was as convinced as you are that exercise was not a huge part of the equation. And that, as I've gotten older, and my body has changed, that has changed. While I once could lose without exercise, I now cannot. Body composition changes---i.e., weight loss combined with lean tissue loss due to inactivity--crashed my metabolism. This is something I'd like to see others avoid, because it's caused me such trouble.

Jachut really summarized the benefits of exercise well. I can't begin to tell you how much better I feel ---and how much better I lose--when exercising.

But YMMV--and that's fine. Everyone is different.

Because I suffer from Vitamin D defiency way before surgery, it is crucial that I exercise to strengthen my muscles. I can't weight to get back to my aerobics and strength training because it helped me so much. I think exercise and activity are confused. Like another poster said, unless you sit or lie still 24hrs, you are doing some physical activity just in your normal every day activities. I don't think the OP was trying to convince people not to exercise, but to encourage those who cannot do aerobics or run to know it is possible to drop weight. I cannot without doing some exercise routine, but every person is different.

But I don't think it's splitting hairs to point out that exercise doesn't HAVE to mean lacing up shoes and heading to a gym. I would define your activities (gardening, etc) as exercising.

I'm not going to argue the definition of exercise vs. healthy active lifestyle but there is a difference in most people's minds. When we talk about an active healthy lifestyle, we don't talk about target heart rates, cardio, how many minutes a day, times a week, etc. That is all beside the point.

Exercise or a healthy active lifestyle, while beneficial in many ways (which I agreed to in my OP), will only help you lose faster by burning more calories, building muscles that burn more calories and increasing metabolism...but it's not *necessary* to lose weight.

Losing or gaining is simple math (assuming there is no medical reason such as hypothyroidism, etc.) -- calories in vs. calories out.

It's just not logical (nor possible) to be 200 pounds and eat the calories necessary to sustain 140 pounds and say you won't lose weight.

Yes, inactivity slows the metabolism. That's why, when figuring daily caloric needs, it's important to note the activity level...but a slow metabolism doesn't stop you from losing weight. It just means you'll lose more slowly...but you will lose.

Even if you go on a starvation level diet, you will lose weight even though your body becomes very efficient at conserving calories and you'll lose more slowly. Just look at the walking skeletons in areas of the world where famine is a way of life.

Calories in vs calories out. Exercise or any activity will only accelerate the process.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to *not* exercise. More power to those who do and even enjoy it. I merely am trying to blow this myth out of the Water because I believe it actually hinders people's weight loss. Too many people give up before they start because they're told that unless they curb their eating *and* exercise, they won't lose weight and they don't want to exercise. When the truth is that they only need to reduce their calories to lose weight...exercising just gives a bonus.

Only when we understand that our weight is directly related to what we put in our mouth, will we be successful at taking it off.