Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So If I complie a list of things one cant eat drink after the Op can someone respond?

Coke?

Diet Coke?

ice Creme?

Chocloate?

pizza?

Vinegar?

potato chips?

white bread?

pastries?

croissants?

Thx!

I'll weigh in. Of course, a lot of people have different band experiences. I'll let you know what my doctor suggests and what I've found through experience. I've had my band 5 months and got my second fill this week. My doctor's philosophy is the eat Protein first, then maybe a bite of potatoes and some vegetables. When you've got good restriction, you can't take in enough of the foods you need if you eat non-nutritious foods.

Coke? Too much sugar and the bubbles will give you bad pains and possibly stretch your pouch.

Diet Coke? The bubbles are not good for you for reasons stated above.

ice Creme? You can eat it if you want to stop losing weight; I've been down that road

Chocloate? Ditto above, but a bite of really dark chocolate isn't bad, and I use chocolate-flavored Protein shakes.

pizza? For me, the crust is too much bulk, but I'll occasionally have the toppings.

Vinegar? No problem.

potato chips? Empty calories and hard to resist. Tortilla chips have gotten stuck.

white bread? When I've had this, it's become stuck and has come up, painfully.

pastries? Goes down easy but probably has too many calories and sugar.

croissants? Very high in fat, so you might want to avoid it.

You can probably have a bite of these foods to taste without causing a problem, but I've found in my personal experience that one taste leads to too many.

Good luck!

I can't tell you what you will be able to eat but I can tell you what I can eat!

Coke? I could but I don't

Diet Coke? Yes

Ice Cream? Yes, low fat

chocolate? Yes I can but I am satisfied by much less

pizza? Sometimes, - only a little, no crust. Sometimes not at all.

Vinegar? Yes

potato chips? Yes, just a few

white bread? No

pastries? No

croissants? No

Someimes I can eat things and the next day I can't, - or a can before a fill but not after.

Are you still deciding about surgery or are you definitely going ahead?

Coke?

Diet Coke?

ice Creme?

chocolate?

pizza?

Vinegar?

potato chips?

white bread?

pastries?

croissants?

Thx!

I don't want to be an ass but everything on this list with the exception of vinegar and perhaps Diet Coke is GARBAGE!

Let's say that none of these pose a problem. Is this what you plan to continue eating?

I've only been banded for seven months, but here's my experience. I haven't tried to drink ANYTHING carbonated since I was banded because I was told not to...forever...and I haven't tried. I was also told not to drink from a staw. I forgot once, and took a sip (I was using it to stir my tea) and it was actually a little painful.

As for foods, there is nothing I have found that I can't eat. Now, there are plenty of things that I SHOULDN'T eat, but nothing that I can't eat if I take small bites and chew well. I have gotten stuck about a half a dozen times (resolved itself very quickly) on bready things, but I have been able to tolerate those same things since if I eat very slowly and chew very well.

Back to the things I SHOULDN'T eat...I know I may just be rationalizing, but here's my theory anyway. For me this is a complete lifestyle change, not a diet. I know myself well enough to know that I will eat pizza, chocolate, french fries, etc. for the rest of my life. I'm not going to eliminate those things now and then eat them again when I'm at goal. I eat absolutely anything I want now, but I only eat a tiny bit of those "bad" things. I don't have to eat a half a bag of chips. I can eat a handful. I don't eat a half a pizza. I eat two tiny (or one large) slices of thin crust. I don't eat a bag of chocolate truffles. I eat one or two. Am I losing more slowly than some? I'm sure I am, but I am making changes that I feel I can live with forever. I got this band so that I would not diet ever again.

I know this rant may seem a little off topic, but this is the most common conversation I have with people who want to know about my band.

I'm feeling like a hypocrite after my last reply. You can probably find a dozen posts by me on this site that say there is no such thing as a bad food when eaten in moderation. Not to mention I had an ice cream sandwich an hour ago.

I apologize but I think what got me was that there were no nutritious foods mentioned. Perhaps a favorite fruit or nut?

Amy - your approach sounds sensible and realistic. Once I begin the journey, I'll follow your lead. BTW, it seems to be working very well for you. :thumbup:

Joyce

btreiger I was glad to see you replied again! I think if we could totally avoid all high fat and high sugar foods we would have lost our weight without the band!

The band gives us the Portion Control that we couldn't keep to in all our previous attempts to lose weight. Of course healthy foods are the way to go but it is nice to be able to have the odd treat.

Oh you guys rock!

thanks for responding .. i really dont want to feel that i am so punished for eating!

moderation! indeed :thumbup:

and touch and go as needed :)

I appreciate all of your responses!

My band has been very tight since Sept. There are so many things I just can not eat or it will cause much pain or slime or other bad reactions. For me this is a good thing and it keeps me in check. Many others have said potato chips are a slider food and you can eat them around the band. I do not agree with that. I can not eat them. I also can not eat hamburgers, french fries, pizza, bread, paistries, steak, Pasta ..........my list is long.

It is interesting going through the grocery store.

Edited by Humming Bird

Amy - your approach sounds sensible and realistic. Once I begin the journey, I'll follow your lead. BTW, it seems to be working very well for you. :thumbup:

Joyce

Thanks, Joyce. I try not to compare myself to others and just do my thing. I couldn't be happier with my progress. Good luck on your journey! It is indeed a journey. I wish you the best of luck and success!

I'm feeling like a hypocrite after my last reply. You can probably find a dozen posts by me on this site that say there is no such thing as a bad food when eaten in moderation. Not to mention I had an ice cream sandwich an hour ago.

I apologize but I think what got me was that there were no nutritious foods mentioned. Perhaps a favorite fruit or nut?

It is a list of things one CAN'T eat

For me, every day is a little different. I don't like to deny myself anything. I find that if I keep up with the exercise, there is no (small amount) food that I can't eat at some time. Except for carbonation and white bread (most breads really)...I stay far away from those two things!

I struggle with a lifetime of being a compulsive eater. My band keeps me mindful of the amounts. My band saved my life.

Edited by kirafiki
Forgot to say something