Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Help. I`m a "Diet Junkie"

I am seriously considering going on a diet and do not know whether it is a good decision. I have been banded for 3 months now and have had 2 fills already, totalling 5.5cc in a 10cc band. My next fill will be on January, 29th.

I`m yet to feel restricted and this is somehow frustrating. I`m following all the rules that come with the band and have so far lost 28lbs. I`ve learnt to “throw away” the scales and only weigh myself once a month and as far as I know the scale has never gone the wrong way since the op.

I`m not one to compare the pace of my weight loss with others` but I cannot help comparing the pace with my previous extreme weight loss sessions. I would have lost more than twice this weight in 3 months. The unfortunate aspect is that I was then unable to maintain the loss when I came off the diet. One of the diets consisted of milkshakes, Soups and bars. The 2nd one consisted of only Protein based foods. I`m sure most yo-yo dieters know of these diets.

The question I am asking myself now is do I go on a diet whilst I have not got any restriction and then fully utilise the band when I`ve reached my goal to maintain the loss or shall I wait for restriction?

I also want to know whether anybody has done this and what effect, if any, it had on their band.

I`m seriously struggling with this and need support and advice in this decision making.

Ack! I seriously feel your frustration, kcg. I have lost about 30 lbs post op (all while starving), and had a fill last week that didn't do anything! I went into support group last night literally scowling because I'm actually pissed at my band that I am doing 150% of the work and it's not doing anything right now! I just want it to do it's job!

Are you exercising? Doing cardio on a regular basis?

I'd actually check with your nutritionist about doing any kind of diet while banded. I have heard some of these diets can do more harm than good, which is why the results are not typically long-term.

Your next fill is 10 days away. Perhaps wait it out to see if the third time really is the charm and if not, you could talk to your surgeon and/or nutrition to get creative on how you can jump start the weight loss again?

Please let us know what you decide. Hang in there!

Juliensmom, Thanks for you response. It gets quite frustrating when you do all that is expected of you but do not appear to be getting anywhere.

I will restrain myself from goingon any specific diet until my next fill and discussion with the bariatric nurse / surgeon. I`m hoping that the next fill gives me some form of restriction because as you said, I am currently doing all the work. The band is just not working at the moment. I think a little bit of patience is required.

Good luck with your weight loss journey and I will keep you informed of my progress.

kcg,

There is no reason you can't go on a diet. If you've been successful on previous diets with the problem being that you 'go off' them at some point and regain, then you may actually have some success at losing weight prior to restriction...and by the time you get restriction you'll be ahead of the game.

I am only a few months out myself, and I eat low carb. For me, it was/is the only way I am going to be able to control my hunger. Most of my meals consist of grilled or baked fish or poultry and lightly cooked veggies. No potatoes, no Pasta, no bread. I get my dairy thru cottage cheese and yogurt mostly.

So, you could say I am "dieting". But I consider eating low carb more of a way of life.

Also, even though I have lost 100 lbs, I still am about half way to where I need to be. So, if you only have 60-75 lbs to loose, you are half way there also. No idea what your goals are.

Hey,isn't 4 0z meals a diet in itself? I like to keep things simple its my only focus along with a more active lifestle.

Be encouraged! You're actually right on track. Yes some people lost extreme amounts of weight in 3 months. HOWEVER, the lapband is designed to help you to lose weight at the rate of 8-10lbs per month.

If you've been banded for 3 months and you've lost 28lbs you're RIGHT on track. Continue at this rate (let's say 9lbs a month) So 9lbs a month times 9 remaining months to your bandiversary puts you at losing around 9x9= 81 another 81lbs in a year's time. For a total of 109lbs down? That's amazing results.

There will be weeks or months were you don't lose as much or even sometimes *gasp* gain, but be encouraged that you're doing everything necessary to lose the weight for good.

Hi kcg,i feel the same way i work out harder since being banded it just doesnt seem fair.still have very little restriction.haven't reached that dreamland sweet spot.still feels regretful often

My nutritionist said many people do WW within the confines of the band and she could tell me the points I'd need to lose and be healthy, or that people do modified Atkins. It is not a one or the other.

I don't think it is an issue of Fair or Unfair. We have a problem. We have to work at it.Hard! Unfair is 3 Earthquakes in Haiti within a week. Unfair is my mother dying an agonizing cancer ridden death at 62, while my father the drunken, verbally and emotionally abusive a$$hole walks the Earth. Having to stop shoving food in our mouths is hard, but not really a fairness issue.

What a bunch of lovely people. ElfiePoo, Minimeme, Larraine M, ymjackson1 and Cassieme1, thanks a lot for your comments and advice. Quite helpful. I`m going to be careful with what I eat and get my exercise routine going.

I guess if this strange thing in my tummy does not want to play ball at the moment, I have to keep going and try to be kind to myself. I guess I have to work harder that I thought possible with the band.

Upon re-reading my response I thought: HMM Angry much!! Did not mean it to sound as nasty as I fear it comes across. Sorry if it was.....

:biggrin:

My nutritionist said many people do WW within the confines of the band and she could tell me the points I'd need to lose and be healthy, or that people do modified Atkins. It is not a one or the other.

I don't think it is an issue of Fair or Unfair. We have a problem. We have to work at it.Hard! Unfair is 3 Earthquakes in Haiti within a week. Unfair is my mother dying an agonizing cancer ridden death at 62, while my father the drunken, verbally and emotionally abusive a$$hole walks the Earth. Having to stop shoving food in our mouths is hard, but not really a fairness issue.

TracyNYC, as you pointed out, it is hard work trying to lose the weight without restriction. Hun, it should not be an issue of fairness / unfairness. Thanks for your contribution.

Sorry to hear about your mother`s suffering and death. Hope you are granted the peace required to be able to deal with the pain.

I`m sure the people of Haiti are grateful that they are all in our thoughts, prayers and considerations.

Upon re-reading my response I thought: HMM Angry much!! Did not mean it to sound as nasty as I fear it comes across. Sorry if it was.....

:biggrin:

Hun, I was not offended at all, I just could not remember including "fair" / "unfair" in my postings and spent a lot of time re-reading my postings. LOL. Life has a habit of taking us through these journeys. Wishing you all the best.

Edited by kcg
spelling mistake