Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

six years out and having eating problems

I'm new to this forum.

Has this happened to anyone else? Most food is unappealing to me. I think it's likely to be because I feel full so quickly and then have an aversion to the food. I don't eat enough during the day because of this and then eat sweets in the evening. My fill is fairly tight. I saw a nutritionist who was COMPLETELY unhelpful. She just kept telling me she was giving me a list of Protein foods and I'd pretty much just have to force myself to pick some and eat them. I'm worried that I might even have a protein deficiency. There are many protein foods I'm not able to keep down.

I've moved away from the city where I had my surgery. The last time I saw the doctor, a few years ago, I asked about a slight unfill, but she said since I was losing weight it appeared to be working well.

I'd just like to know if others have had this problem before I seek out a surgeon here to talk to, which I'd probably have to pay for myself. Perhaps the food aversion is unrelated to my band.

I am sorry, but I will not be much help for you. I am only 6 months post-op and already feeling the way you just posted. I am not eating sweets, but having the problem with Protein and food being unappealing. I hope others reply and we can both learn from it.

And Welcome to LBT :blink:

I'm new to this forum.

Has this happened to anyone else? Most food is unappealing to me. I think it's likely to be because I feel full so quickly and then have an aversion to the food. I don't eat enough during the day because of this and then eat sweets in the evening. My fill is fairly tight. I saw a nutritionist who was COMPLETELY unhelpful. She just kept telling me she was giving me a list of Protein foods and I'd pretty much just have to force myself to pick some and eat them. I'm worried that I might even have a Protein deficiency. There are many protein foods I'm not able to keep down.

I've moved away from the city where I had my surgery. The last time I saw the doctor, a few years ago, I asked about a slight unfill, but she said since I was losing weight it appeared to be working well.

I'd just like to know if others have had this problem before I seek out a surgeon here to talk to, which I'd probably have to pay for myself. Perhaps the food aversion is unrelated to my band.

Do some research about bariatric doctors in your area. Find out about their experience, whether their hospital is a hospital of excellence, etc.. Call their office and tell them your situation.

If you find a doctor that you think you'll like make an appointment. It sounds like you are too tight. You are eating sweets because they are slider foods. Easy to get down.

I think with an unfill you will be able to eat a bigger variety of foods, including protein. Do you like eggs? How about SF carnation instant Breakfast? How about some of the Protein Bars?

But first and foremost is that you need to see a good bariatric surgeon that you can work with. It has been too long since you've seen one and you are not eating the right or healthy foods.

Good luck.

I'm new to this forum.

Has this happened to anyone else? Most food is unappealing to me. I think it's likely to be because I feel full so quickly and then have an aversion to the food. I don't eat enough during the day because of this and then eat sweets in the evening. My fill is fairly tight. I saw a nutritionist who was COMPLETELY unhelpful. She just kept telling me she was giving me a list of Protein foods and I'd pretty much just have to force myself to pick some and eat them. I'm worried that I might even have a Protein deficiency. There are many protein foods I'm not able to keep down.

It sounds like you may need a slight unfill. You may would find more foods appealing if they weren't so difficult to eat. If you could eat foods that are better for you during the day, you may not snack on the sweets (slider foods) in the evening.

It sounds like you might need an unfill...but how far along are you in your weight loss journey? Are you at goal? Or do you still need to lose a lot? Good luck...

well I have gain 20lbs. I been to the Dr. He check my band and recheck everthing you think of relating to the surgery. he said there is no problem. I got banded in 2007 I had lost 107 lbs my weight at 193lbs, now I'm at 212lbs. All he would say that might be it. Please help, I refuse to except. I don't eat enought to keep a bird a live. Help, help. I'm so worry about gaining my weight back. I don't think, I would want live on the earth anymore. Loretta

Its one of the downsides of the band, I've noticed the same thing to a lesser degree.

I *can* eat all foods, I've yet to find one I cant keep down. But things like fresh fruit make me gag to think about eating now, and I am really not an advocate of a high Protein diet, I think fresh fruit and vegies in abundance are way more important. Yet, I find it extremely difficult to eat these foods, I just dont want them and have to psych myself into eating them.

I've gotten round it by finding ways to cook and eat these foods that make them appealing to me. For example, I cook vegies and I do have a bit of butter and salt and pepper on them, whereas before I was militant about no added fat. I will eat fresh berries with a sprinkle of sugar and a small bit of cream. All those fattening additives I was so afraid of, they dont seem to harm my weight at all now that I'm so active and am at a healthy weight, so I've learned to enjoy them, becuase I think if it means I get the Vitamins and antioxidants in the fruit, then its a worthwhile trade off. Fruit smoothies in the morning are another thing I can do, but to pick a piece of fruit from the bowl and eat it, I just cant do it (and we have a wonderful quality of fresh produce in Australia), but I've always been a little bit like that with fruit anyway.

Its just if you eat something and consistently feel discomfort from it - which I do from fruit - its only natural to not desire it as much.

I only WISH that the bad foods did that to me.

So, I guess I'm saying it is a matter of experimenting to find ways to prepare foods you struggle with or sucking it up and just eating them. If you truly cant keep them down then you probably are too tight.

Im 6 years in also with a recent fill thats really tite. like you Im very concerned now that Im not gettin enough for fuel. My workouts have putted out. Foods not appealing and Soup is my mainstay. I need to lose a lot so Im working around it now. But man once I get to goal I may have to deflate. Im concerned but needed a fill. fruit, berrys, steak, is a noway jose deal for me now. Lot of soft soup and protien shakes. Good luck. Hang in there. I think my body was in shock for a week. I was like really tired and mostly layed around but I picked up later....

I am also new to this forum.

I am having the same problem as you, but the differences is that my hair is constantly falling out. I had my lap band done in 2008, this last year I am unable to hold anything down. As far as protien shakes??? NOWAY. Im not losing anymore weight, Im stuck at 242 when I was down to 212, so I know what your going thru. I went to the back surgeons, he increased my multi Vitamins and everything else that goes along with it. Im still having lots of problems, I CANNOT HOLD ANYTHING DOWN.

Guys, you are WAY too tight. That is serious undereating and you wont lose weight that way, or maybe you will eventually but it wont be healthy loss.

You need to eat a balanced diet and exercise to lose, not eat so little that your entire body and activity levels peter out. If you cant eat a variety of healthy foods, what on earth is your long term health prognosis? hair falling out is a sure sign of under nutrition and its just no way to live life. Not fancying foods because they're hard to eat and not being able to eat them at all are two different issues.

But I do think the band tends to lead to many people eating crappy soft diets - and Protein shakes as a mainstay are not healthy - man made, artificially sweetened etc, no basis for a healthy diet. They're a supplement, not a staple.

Get an unfill, you're unlikely to gain lots as you'll then be able to eat lower calorie foods and you'll probably find you start to lose.

Haven't you guys ever seen the Biggest Loser episodes where someone's stopped losing weight and Bob or Jillian says that they're not eating enough calories?? I find if I vary my calorie intake - so some days a bit more, and some days a bit less, the weight comes off.

As far as the food aversion, you poor bandster. I would suggest getting an unfill at least for a few months until your appetite comes back... but make sure you're working out loads so that you don't gain any weight. I've had my band for a year, and find that my eating is in general getting better and better -- but I have gone through periods where ice cream and Soups are my only friend, and that's when I don't lose at all!

I have been banded for almost three years, I have not had a fill in over a year. All of a sudden in the past two weeks I am having major reflux problems, sinus problems and I just can not keep anything down. It is like anything that I eat, I throw up. Something is not right. Any suggestions?

Yes. I am to having the same problems, I take nexium everyday for acid reflux, I cannot hold food down either for this pass year. I went to surgeons told me to double up on Vitamins and everything that goes along with it. My hair has been falling out also. (really bad). Lap band done early 2008. Was at 212 now around 240-242.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU, I am right there with you..