Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking water to clear blockage

When you say sliming do you mean that you salivate continually until the blockage goes through? I think I am having a stuck moment right now. I have serious pain below my breasts right between them. I cannot quit spitting because I feel like I am going to throw up if I swallow. I have had this before and it is hit or miss. I make sure I chew my food really well and wait between bites. I cannot drink anything to clear it because that causes extreme nausea. I was eating a salad tonight and last night and cannot eat even two small bites before I experience pain. I just want it to go away. :blush:

Yes, Joyle, that is sliming! And that pain is something stuck. Welcome to band land!

I have found if I gulp some Water down, that will usually bring it up and out. Now mind you, I have never minded stuff coming up (i.e. vomitting--but this isn't true vomitting). It is the fastest route to pain relief.

Otherwise, walk walk walk. That will often help the pain. Some use paypaya enzymes to help break down the stuck food, or sip pineapple juice.

As a note, I have read of folks who cannot eat lettuce. I am fine with it. It is sort of a find what foods you can and cannot eat type of thing.

Best wishes!

Denise

Edited by Cocoabean
Because I can spell enZymes!

Hey Ladies....

I will get my first fill on Jan.28th so i don't have quite the restrictions that some of you have. I usually eat everything fine and every once in awhile i will feel something kinda stuck or slowly going through and its alright i have usually just drank Water and it goes through. I am used to eating fast sometimes because i have lil ones and i have been doing an awesome job at learning to slow way down when i eat. Well last night i bought a chicken tortilla wrap and took a couple bites then my son wanted it so i quickly took one last bite and swallowed the other i had in my mouth without even thinking about it....NOT a great idea!!! So i drank water thinking it will work cuz the other times it did oh no not this time..:blush: The chicken came up and so did the water i drank and the water was still cold lol kind of felt weird....I didn't mind it coming up too much cuz it is alot different than throwing up..There is no gagging or anything it is kind of a waiting game though lol This is the first time i have had something get stuck that i couldn't wash down. Since this happened before my first fill i am going to try even harder to make sure it doesn't happen after i get my fill...lol and if it does i'm not gonna drink water...lol

I have gotten "stuck" a couple of times since my last fill.

Still NOT at any sweet spot though :blush:

I am HAPPY when it comes back up -- it tells me I didn't eat it right, and MAYBE it was an amount I shouldn't be eating.

Yes -it does hurt though.

I got some hamburger meat stuck last night. Good Lord it was painful. It went on for over two hours. First time it has ever been that bad. I called the surgeons office, but he had already left. The lady at the office said I needed to go to the emergency room right away. I really didn't want to go through all that, but hey, if it's stuck and not going up or down, you HAVE to do something! My husband said "Lets try one more thing". He had me lie over the arm of the couch with my head going down towards the floor. He put a bowl down there by my mouth and starting patting my back. I just "let it happen"...and all the hamburger came right up! Now of course this is gross and I hope no one is reading this during lunch, but let me tell ya, it was FAR better than driving 45 minutes to the emergency room. Then I would probably have to wait a few hours to see a doc or wait for my surgeon to come. It gave me immediate relief. I am on liquids for a day or two so the irritation can heal up. That was a close call for me. It is one lesson I will carry with me from now on. I think I just got too hungry. I wanted some meat and I wanted it now...so I ate too fast! Different things work for different people, but those who have been stuck know...you are willing to try about anything to make it go away!

I ate some carrot sticks yesterday --- and they got stuck....

WEIRD.... that carrots are something that would get stuck.

After about 10-15 minutes of severe pain - it all came right back up ---

I got some hamburger meat stuck last night. Good Lord it was painful. It went on for over two hours. First time it has ever been that bad. I called the surgeons office, but he had already left. The lady at the office said I needed to go to the emergency room right away. I really didn't want to go through all that, but hey, if it's stuck and not going up or down, you HAVE to do something! My husband said "Lets try one more thing". He had me lie over the arm of the couch with my head going down towards the floor. He put a bowl down there by my mouth and starting patting my back. I just "let it happen"...and all the hamburger came right up! Now of course this is gross and I hope no one is reading this during lunch, but let me tell ya, it was FAR better than driving 45 minutes to the emergency room. Then I would probably have to wait a few hours to see a doc or wait for my surgeon to come. It gave me immediate relief. I am on liquids for a day or two so the irritation can heal up. That was a close call for me. It is one lesson I will carry with me from now on. I think I just got too hungry. I wanted some meat and I wanted it now...so I ate too fast! Different things work for different people, but those who have been stuck know...you are willing to try about anything to make it go away!

Hamburger was one of my worst ever stuck foods! It went on for over 5 hours!

I spoke with my surgeon the next day. He said that even though it is ground it is very hard on the band due to the fact that it can have a lot of gristle in it and we don't get that chewed enough.

I am still very cautious when I eat burger. It scares the tar out of me.

I really like your idea of letting gravity help you!

Denise

has anyone noticed that when you vomit its not like a real vomitting, at least not for me.. just curious...

Im coming up on a year and I THANK God that I may not be where I would like to be BUT IM NOT WHERE I USE TO BE. HALLEJUAH!... I STARTED OUT AT 337LBS I AM NOW 255LBS AS OF TODAY PRAISE THE LORD.

has anyone noticed that when you vomit its not like a real vomitting, at least not for me.. just curious...

Yes, especially if I drink Water in an attempt to get rid of the offending item. It goes down, and then just comes up again. Sort of a reverse of gravity. There is no heaving or retching involved. Just an urp! And out it comes.

Denise

What do you mean not like real vomiting?

Carrots are something that I can't do. Anything with "fibers" in them like carrots, asparagus, celery, and artichoke hearts are nonos.

Well....vomiting is a personal thing and maybe one person vomits different than the next...but yeah, it isn't like a real vomit for me either! When I have the flu or a stomach bug...now that is real vomit. Can you all believe we are talking vomit????? HA! I guess with the band, no subject is off limits. We have all types of changes don't we! Anyway, I think what a real vomit is...that forceful, through the nose, sour, burning, heaving puke that spews forth like Mt. St. Helens. A food stuck vomit is simply the culprit.... accompanied by a mouthful of slime....making it's way in a less forceful, less obtrusive manner, back up through the esophagus and out the mouth. More of a blessing than a curse. Anyway, that's my take on my personal vomitting experiences! Sorry...didn't mean to be overly graphic here...but someone did ask!

I completely agree with the vomitting comments. It's funny because I try to talk to my family about it, but to them it's just too gross. LOL

I can honestly say thought that I've been getting stuck daily on something. Some of it may due to my chewing, but it's become somewhat normal for me. I slime almost everyday. I have only vomitted about 5 times because of being stuck, but had one episode of being filled too tight and my port flipped which caused uncontrollable vomitting and an emergency surgery to fix. Needless to say, after that, I haven't gotten another fill...

I have a huge fear of vomitting, but when you're stuck it's almost a relief. I don't make myself, but unlike viral vomitting, I don't avoid it either.