Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions before going forward with lap-band...

7. Do you have restrictions with taking pills? I.e. is Tylenol still effective, does it digest regularly, etc.

I use liquid Tylenol and it works just fine. It's a 'slider'.

8. What about drinking alcohol? Is it OK occassionally?

Yes.

Thanks guys...I forgot one LAST question (I hope!)

9. WHY IS IT YOU CAN'T DRINK liquids, LIKE Water, RIGHT BEFORE, DURING OR AFTER A MEAL?

Because Water helps food 'slide' through...even if you have restriction.

The whole point of the band is to fill the upper stomach so that your brain gets the 'full' signal. If you drink with your meals...or right after, the water helps thing out what's in your pouch and it will slide right through.

I was told that drinking 30 minutes prior means you'll fill your pouch with water and not be able to eat as much...which doesn't make sense since water (at least for me) slides right through.

I don't have to worry about that one unless I eat a baby. :smile2:

ROFL...although there were days when my children were growing up that I wanted to that very thing. Fortunately, they lived through those stages and are now mature, responsible adults on their own.

I have one to add:

I know pretty much everyone will probably have a different answer, but.... What does it feel like when you are stuck? Another adjective besides "umcomfortable" please :-) does it feel like bad cramps? bad gas? a punch in the stomach?

Uncomfortable would be an understatement. It's painful enough to make my eyes Water. When I'm stuck, it feels like I have a rock stuck in my chest. It takes all my concentration to just sit and try to relax and allow it to go through. Tensing up does not help the situation.

when you are stuck is there anything you do to fix it or just let it take it course.

when you are stuck is there anything you do to fix it or just let it take it course.

I will usually just try to wait it out for a few minutes, but if it doesn't resolve itself, I'll take a *gulp* (sip won't do it) of Water and it immediately comes right back out, usually with the offending item...or at least it shifts the offending item so it's not stuck anymore.

If you do this, make sure you're standing over the waste basket or sink because it is a very immediate reaction. This is not throwing up, by the way.

thanks all this information on here is great so when i do get banded soon i will no what to expect.

7. Do you have restrictions with taking pills? I.e. is Tylenol still effective, does it digest regularly, etc. Yes, Tylenol is still effective and digests fine. The band doesn't change our digestive tract.

8. What about drinking alcohol? Is it OK occassionally?

Yes, you can have alcohol on occasion. I find it does interfere with weightloss though.

I am so happy to have my band. I have tried and failed at losing weight more times then I can count. The band has made losing easier because I don't feel like I'm starving.

I have some real concerns about moving forward with the lap-band® and well, no one whose been through it to ask.

I've decided I want to do it, my appointment is finally next week, but I am hung up on the below.

Hopefully this is the place :-)

1. Do you FEEL the LAP-BAND® around your stomach? Does it feel tight or uncomfortable? No, you really can't feel it. The week after lapband surgery I felt pressure in the area of the band but it did go away.

2. I think giving up soda will be really hard. WHY must it be done? Carbonation causes stomach gas that can cause the band to slip out of place. The gas also can cause extreme discomfort.

3. What is the purpose of the liquid diet pre-surgery? And post? Pre surgery is to shrink fat around the liver to make it safer and easier for the surgeon to work around the stomach. Post surgery diet is to aid in the healing process.

4. Did your insurance company cover the procedure? How long did the pre-auth take? Did you have to do psych evals, etc? My insurance wasn't covering lapband at the time so I was self pay.

5. The port - does it physically bother you? Can you see it initially, after losing, etc? My husband is kinda freaked out about it.... The port area is bothersome for about the first 4-6 weeks following surgery. Now I can't even tell it's there.

6. Does getting a fill hurt? Or does it feel like getting a flu shot / giving blood? My doctor numbs the area before the fill so I don't feel anything.

Thanks!!

My only regret is not getting banded years ago.

I am confused....this shouldnt suprise anyone after a while....lol.

I have read alot of the posts and most people talk about a pre-surgery diet of 2 weeks. Meaning liquid Protein shakes and sensible dinner etc.

Today I spoke to my doctor and told him that ive been hearing about this two week diet before banding...he said the only pre surgery diet is the day before of Liquid Protein other then this there are no restrictions or diet beforehand...afterwhich there is for two weeks. He said he heard this from others but there is no need for me to do this.

Is there anyone else who's doctor also feels this is not a recommendation?

I am nurvous as well about the port being seeing or uncomfortable esp when filling up air......The doctor told me that mine will be in back of the bellly button so no one will see it and it wont hurt when filled as this is where the initial one incission will be so aftewards the site wont hurt anymore....is he for real I think??? lol (not holding breadth)

going to the endocronologist now....good luck me!!

I am confused....this shouldnt suprise anyone after a while....lol.

I have read alot of the posts and most people talk about a pre-surgery diet of 2 weeks. Meaning liquid Protein shakes and sensible dinner etc.

Today I spoke to my doctor and told him that ive been hearing about this two week diet before banding...he said the only pre surgery diet is the day before of Liquid Protein other then this there are no restrictions or diet beforehand...afterwhich there is for two weeks. He said he heard this from others but there is no need for me to do this.

I am nurvous as well about the port being seeing or uncomfortable esp when filling up air......The doctor told me that mine will be in back of the bellly button so no one will see it and it wont hurt when filled as this is where the initial one incission will be so aftewards the site wont hurt anymore....is he for real I think??? lol (not holding breadth)

going to the endocronologist now....good luck me!!

It's my understanding that only patients with a BMI over 40 have to do a pre-op/liver shrinking diet.

I'm not sure I understand your question about the port. The port does not fill up with air. It also sounds like you may be talking about a single incision surgery which I know nothing about.

I am pre op and I am very scared after reading all the comments but I will proceed for now

It's my understanding that only patients with a BMI over 40 have to do a pre-op/liver shrinking diet.

I'm not sure I understand your question about the port. The port does not fill up with air. It also sounds like you may be talking about a single incision surgery which I know nothing about.

I had a BMI under 40 and had to do a 2 week pre-op diet. I think it is more doctor specific that weight/BMI specific.

I have read of others who did not have to do a pre-op diet, or only had to do one week or a couple of days. It varies.

As to the port. The location also seems to vary with individual surgeons. Mine is located on my left side about 3 inches to the side of and one inch below my belly button. Getting a fill (which is saline, not air) does not really hurt, but it does involve needles, so your mileage may vary. There are lots of posts here about fill experiences. Some do report some pain. That has not been my experience.

Your doctor could also be referring to this where the incisionis done through the bellybutton, but the port is placed on the abdominal muscles:

Trans-umbilical Lap Band Placement

Dr. Ganta's Approach

Dr. Ganta is believed to have performed the first trans-umbilical LAP-BAND® procedure in the state of Texas without leaving any visible scars on the abdomen.

This remarkable new technique, pioneered by Dr. Ganta, involves complete navigation and placement of the LAP-BAND via the incision at the belly button and leaving no visible scars on the abdomen. The port is tunneled via the belly button incision into the standard location and secured in the standard fashion.

Today I spoke to my doctor and told him that ive been hearing about this two week diet before banding...he said the only pre surgery diet is the day before of liquid Protein other then this there are no restrictions or diet beforehand...afterwhich there is for two weeks. He said he heard this from others but there is no need for me to do this.

My doctor said the exact same thing. No special diet before hand, except for only liquids the day before surgery and afterwards I was back on regular foods by the end of the second week.

My BMI was over 40 (still is I think) and I didn't have to do one.