Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone start with a BMI over 50 and not be successful with Lap-Band?

I met with my surgeon yesterday and he told me that people who have a BMI over 50 do not succeed on with the Lap-Band and that gastric bypass would be a better solution for me. Well I know I don't have to choose today which surgery I want, but I was upset. Now granted my height isn't going to change, but if I start working on my habits now I will lose some of my weight pre-surgery and be under the 50 BMI "curse" as he made it sound. I was just curious if anyone else has been told the same thing and if you still decided to have the lap-band.

Thanks.

Hey there! You don't have anything to worry about. I started with a BMI of 52. and now am at 49.5 since my band day of 11/15/09. Just follow the liquid diet and what ever your doctor instructs you to do. I just had my first fill yesterday and am doing great. I will start the gym Saturday to bump things up a bit. I haven't had any issues eating anything and yes, I have cheated a bit. Some chocolate here and there, ice cream one night (half scoop though). I also eat a scrambled egg sooner than I was supposed to but you have to remember to chew everything really good.

Don't stress over the diet and it will come naturally.

Best of luck!

Sounds to me that he is pushing is preference on you.. I was banded on May 19, 2009. My BMI 2 wks before was 63.61. I have lost about 68lbs including my 2 wk pre-op diet and my BMI is now 51.49. My cholesterol has gone from 238 10 days before my surgery to 177 at the end of September. I am totally off one of my Diabetes meds and cut the other one from 1000mg a day to 250mg every other day.. I think I have been successful and so does my surgeon.. he tells me every time I see him how well I am doing... If you truly want the band and this surgeon will not do it, go see another surgeon.. do not let him change your mind unless he can give you other reasons other then that people w/BMI over 50 don't succeed, why he thinks that the bypass is better for you. Every person is different and your success is all up to you and how you work your band... and just for the record. .my surgeon NEVER tried to convince me that the bypass would be better.. I told him I wanted the band and he said ok.

I met with my surgeon yesterday and he told me that people who have a BMI over 50 do not succeed on with the Lap-Band® and that gastric bypass would be a better solution for me. Well I know I don't have to choose today which surgery I want, but I was upset. Now granted my height isn't going to change, but if I start working on my habits now I will lose some of my weight pre-surgery and be under the 50 BMI "curse" as he made it sound. I was just curious if anyone else has been told the same thing and if you still decided to have the lap-band®.

Thanks.

My BMI is 52 and my doctor loved that I chose the lap band. In fact, he's tired of doing bypasses. He says that those with bypasses can eat anything and still lose the weight, however they can gain it back. For example, they can eat a BigMac everyday and still lose the weight, but it's not healthy weight loss and they can gain it all back. Or something like that... lol. The lap band teaches healthy options and can lead to a healthier lifestyle.

I would get a second opinion if I were you.

I'm still getting the band, I was just curious if anyone else had been told this. Besides if I start the diet before surgery I will lose weight and possibly lower my BMI anyway, it didn't make sense logically that he would have said that.

I think you should find people who are at least 2 years out from banding to see how "successful" they are. My BMI was over 50 and I have lost a great deal of weight. But that doesnt mean I am successful. Success, for me at least, comes after maintaining for some time.

There are days when I wish I would have looked harder at the sleeve. It seems it would be a much easier lifestyle. But then again, I have no experience to draw from on this.

I started out with a BMI over 50 and I don't think it means a thing. In fact, my doc just told me that I've done better than most of his bypass patients. And for the record, I didn't lose any weight before surgery. I tried but I failed yet again. I doubt it would have made any difference if I had taken off 30 lbs and got my BMI under 50. After all, I'd still be the same person with the same food issues. After the band was placed, I had some control and then weight-loss was doable. It's alot easier eat better when you aren't starving all the time.

I do agree with Minime, that success is best defined long-term, but I'm getting there.

Cindy

My doctor at first was saying the same thing because I was over a 60BMI--he said I needed to show him that I could change my relationship with food. Also, the heavier you are, the more difficult the surgery gets--needs to see what he is doing. Well, I completely ignored him. I dropped 30lbs and have dropped an additional 22 on the pre-op so far and now in the 50's. What I found is the doctor assumed a great deal about me.One that I just eat and eat--not the case--I eat 2-3 meals--just not always the right portion size, even healthy food. Also I don't mind exercise--schedule just changed and became hectic that I started neglecting myself. Doctors assumed at BMI's that you are too addicted to food to change the relationship with it. You have the right attitude--I intend to prove him wrong!!!

Edited by shadst8

i have a bmi over 50. it's about a 58-58.

i was just banded on the 5th, and already i have lost 10 pounds, so i would have to disagree with your surgeon.

when i went to my seminar, and talked with my surgeon he said that those with more weight to lose generally do so faster than those who have a less significant amount to get rid of.

I met with my surgeon yesterday and he told me that people who have a BMI over 50 do not succeed on with the Lap-Band® and that gastric bypass would be a better solution for me. Well I know I don't have to choose today which surgery I want, but I was upset. Now granted my height isn't going to change, but if I start working on my habits now I will lose some of my weight pre-surgery and be under the 50 BMI "curse" as he made it sound. I was just curious if anyone else has been told the same thing and if you still decided to have the lap-band®.

Thanks.

I'll be blunt. Your surgeon is an ass!

My BMI was 55+ in September when I first met with my surgeon. We discussed my eating habits and sedintary lifestyle a little. He then discussed the pros and cons of each and asked me which procedure I was interested in having done. He did not try and steer me in one direction or the other and I don't think any surgeon should because of BMI.

I am not banded yet but have done enough research that I could probably perform the procedure on myself. Well, maybe not that much.

Losing weight with the band or bypass has nothing to do with your BMI. It is all about your eating habits and lifestyle. If you are ready to alter these a little then you will succeed with either.

Keep doing research on this site and others and you will find this to be true.

Good luck!!!

I'll be blunt. Your surgeon is an ass!

Well saidl:lol:!