Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who stayed overnight and why?

Did you stay overnight after your surgery?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Did you stay overnight after your surgery?

• Yes
    • No
    • I didn't but wish I would have
    • I did but really didn't need to

In preparation for my pre-op appointment on the 14th, I've been reading all the Surgery Stories and notice that a lot of people end up staying overnight. I think that I want to stay overnight the day of surgery.

I added a poll for anything who just wants to quick answer but i'd love some info too. Why did you want to or not want to stay? If you did NOT stay, do you wish you would have? Was it an option?

Thanks for the info!

I didn't stay overnight and I really didn't feel nervous about that at all. If you stay overnight, the nurses will wake you up every couple of hours to take vitals. Since I was home, I took my pain meds and slept about 6 hours before I woke up. Took them again and went right back to sleep. I was home, in my bed, with my pillows, which I think allowed me to rest better.

Good luck with your surgery!

I was self-pay, so it was my choice, plus about $5,000 (if memory serves me) for the overnight stay, so I definitely chose to have my surgery and go home.

I wasn't at all nervous about not staying the night. The nurse that helped with the pre-op program said she'd recommend as short as stay as possible, primarily due to infections that sometimes get passed along in hospitals. If something had been amiss with my post-op tests, I wouldn't have been released the same day.

I was very glad to be in my own home to recover. I followed all my doctor's instructions, and I was comfortable at home throughout the afternoon and evening and slept very soundly that night, only waking up once.

All situations are different, and I certainly understand that some people might prefer or need the overnight stay, but for me, I was much happier and comfortable at home.

Hi:

My doc normally keeps patients overnight and then does a barrium swallow in the morning before release. I'm glad that I stayed overnight because anesthesia and I are not friends. It makes me nauseous and I had dry heaves most of the night. The nurses handled that better than my daughter would have! I warned the doc that I needed all that they could give me for nausea and they did, but it still was a problem for me. Most people are not as sensitive to anesthesia as I am. However, I'd do it over again because I love my band and love living in a much healthier body.

Sue

My doc requires a 24 hour stay and a barium (YUCK) swallow before he'll let you have anything other than ice chips....I would have done better at home. My aide (who was the sweetest, most adorable young man) kept walking in just as I'd drift off to sleep and waking me up, then asking why I was awake all night...plus nobody bothered to tell me I had a morphine pump or to put the pump near me (they left it attached to the IV pump which was out of reach) so I had no idea I could get anything for pain until about 4:00 am. when I was dying...had I been home I'd have had my pain meds by my side...oh well, it all worked out in the end :(

I stayed overnight because my doctor told me to. I live alone and would have had to take a taxi to the bus station then take a bus out of town and then a city bus to get home. With two dogs at home I didnt think I could survive the first night so I had someone take care of them while I was gone. I was self pay but didnt have to pay for the overnight stay it was all included in my surgery price. The next day I still had a lot of gas in me and the doctor wanted me to stay another night ( for free) but I didnt have another dog sitter lined up and I had to go to work ( yes 1.5 days after surgery I went back).

I'm glad I stayed over night. It gave me a chance to recover and if I had any problems there was always a nurse not far away. I also saw my doctor the day after my surgery so if I didnt stay over night i would have had to travel another 2 hours the next day to see him again and that wouldnt be worth it.

I stayed overnight because my insurance considers outpatient surgery as anything 24 hours and under. So overnight was still considered outpatient and no extra charge. I am glad I did. I have never had surgery before and the meds are great! So I slept great and was taken care of.

It was a piece of mind for me. If your insurance is not going to charge anymore, why not stay and get the good meds they don't send you home with and the rest you need right after surgery.

Good luck with Surgery! It is worth it :(

I stayed overnight, and it was planned. I ended up staying another night, because I had a fever of 105, and my blood pressure was REALLY high. I am glad that I stayed overnight because I think I would have been in too much pain and too uncomfortable to have gone home, plus I liked having the nurses and the extra care at the hospital.

A 1 night stay was required by my insurance.

My surgeon requires all his patients to stay for a 23 hour admit. I have already met 3 other people who are having surgery the same day, so we will be walking the halls together and will be able to compare our experiences. It's reassuring for me.

My doc has the banders stay overnight, but it's less than 24 hours, so technically out-patient surgery. He did make us do a barrium swallow before we could drink/have anything (even ice chips). I would have not been comfortable at home - not only because of the pain, but anything that felt unusual I would not know what was to be expected or not. Also, well meaning support at home is great, but they'd be worrying about me more than necessary - the nurses would just know what was needed and what was normal.

I stayed over night because I lived 4 hrs away and My Dr. wanted to make sure everything was okay before letting me go. Also I had an planned Hiatel Hernia repair. I felt better staying.

i stayed over night, and aside from the fact that i had to, i was glad that i did. i was able to get any questions answered about whether i was healing right or not, and a few doctors would come in periodically and see how i was doing. it was really reassuring, rather then being at home and wondering.

it was also really important because right after surgery, you are swollen and have to take small sips of Water, which results in a lack of fluids so being hooked up to an iv not only allowed me to get enough fluids, but it allowed my pain meds to be administered, as well as antibiotics.

when i stayed, they had you walk every couple of hours, which was more than fine because i didn't want to sit still for very long. they had you walk to help reduce the risk of a blood clot, and to get some of that gas in your tummy broken up sooner.

all in all i've got to say that i am glad i stayed over night.

i almost wish i would have stayed an extra night.

I stayed overnight and so did everyone else who was banded by my doctor that week (we were all in a pre-op class together). In the pre-op class, they said most insurances require you to stay the night so even if you don't have risk factors, that may be why you were scheduled to spend the night. Other reasons are if you have sleep apnea or more than one comorbid conditions (high bp, diabetes, etc.). They said the typical band patient leaves after 23 hours. That's conveniently right under 24 hours so must have something to do w/cost or insurance.

Now, was I glad to stay the night? YES!!! Even though they do wake you up during the night, you have a whole staff at your beck-and-call for anything you need, you have an adjustable bed, nurses that remind you that you should be walking around, and you get to talk to your surgeon and assistants when they do their rounds. I also found that a lady who I made friends w/during the pre-op class got her band the same day (right before me) so it was nice being able to talk to her. I also have two little kids at home.

Now, if it was gonna cost me a lot to stay overnight, then I wouldn't bother. I could've made it OK at home. I just think its better for your recovery if you can spend the night.

I'm not yet banded, but will have an overnight stay. My surgeon prefers it, and it's considered the standard of care by my insurance.

I'm grateful for it. I am sure I'll be ready to go by the time the discharge papers are signed and my ride shows up. But a night without worrying whether dinner for my family is planned or the dog needs to go out or homework is done is a good thing. If I were home, I'd try to do all of the above.