Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 6.5 yrs and need some support

Hi all, I'm new to this forum. It's been a long time since I have sought help since I was banded.

I had my band put in May 30, 2003, so I am 6.5 yrs out. I only had problems with a couple of overfills in the beginning. Everything went as planned. I lost 110 pounds in a year, which I was very happy with, UNTIL.............

I have PMR (Polymyalgic Rhuematica) a condition that causes me such pain in my upper arms that I can't hardly move my arms to feed myself and it gives me severe temporal headaches. Unfortunately the cure for this requires large daily doses of prednisone over a LONG period of time. I've had this once before and the symptoms went away after a yr with treatments. It's been a year and a half this time and I'm still having symptoms when trying to wean off of prednisone. My problem is when I take prednisone, it irritates my stomach...........stomach swells............band is too tight.....no fill.....pill goes through...no stomach irritation, so I had to have all my fill taken out. I've been on this medication for a year and a half and have gained BACK 50 pounds! I need a fill..........I need my band to curb my eating...............I'm so down! I can't get the fill until I'm off the prednisone and right now it looks like I'm going to have to go the full 2 year recommendation for getting rid of this stupid PMR.

Any words of encouragement?

MrsMikey357

I'm sorry for what you are going through. All you can do is your best to keep the weight off. Make sure you eat foods high in Protein and stay away from foods that contain a lot of fat, sugar and carbs.

Can you walk without pain? If so, you should try to walk for an hour or more each day to minimize the weight gain and perhaps you will even lose some weight.

I know you are depressed, but try not to let yourself gain anymore weight. Perhaps you can join Weight Watchers and begin losing again. Just a suggestion!

Hang in there!

Donna

Oh, MrsMikey! I am so sorry about you having to take the predisone. Many members of my family have had to take it. I know what a horrid medication it is.

But at the same time, it is a wonderful medication in that it has kept them alive and in my life.

All of them gained weight while taking this medication. I understand what you are going through. It must have been terrible to be told you need to take again it to help your condition.

I admit that I don't know much about your condition. But all I can do is encourage you to hang in there. The medicine is important for you to take. Most times it is the only option for the condtitions for which it is prescribed. I know it takes a toll physically and emotionally. But know that you have the band in place for when you can step down the dose and to help you lose the weight when you are feeling better.

I don't believe that there is anything you can do to battle the predisone caused weight gain while on it. Other than focusing on the fact that it is helping you feel better and the hope that you can one day come off it. It sounds like you have maybe 6 months left on this round. You have made it a year and a half, you are nearly there! Do what you can to minimize the gain (I know, not much!).

Welcome to lapbandtalk, we are here for support!

Denise

I'm sorry for what you are going through. All you can do is your best to keep the weight off. Make sure you eat foods high in Protein and stay away from foods that contain a lot of fat, sugar and carbs.

Can you walk without pain? If so, you should try to walk for an hour or more each day to minimize the weight gain and perhaps you will even lose some weight.

I know you are depressed, but try not to let yourself gain anymore weight. Perhaps you can join Weight Watchers and begin losing again. Just a suggestion!

Hang in there!

Donna

Thanks Donna,

I watch what I eat already, the problem is you could drink Water with prednisone and gain weight! I have difficulty walking because of some other problems, but I lost the 110 without exercise. As for WW.......if it worked for me, I wouldn't have needed a band.

MM357

Thanks Donna,

I watch what I eat already, the problem is you could drink Water with prednisone and gain weight! I have difficulty walking because of some other problems, but I lost the 110 without exercise. As for WW.......if it worked for me, I wouldn't have needed a band.

MM357

I do understand. I took prednisone for a few months many years ago and the weight gain and other affects were awful during that short span. I understand WW and/or dieting in general is difficult which is why you got the band, but I was trying to offer a suggestion that may help you to minimize your weight gain so that you don't have to lose even more weight once you get to feeling better and get your band in working order again. I'm not really sure what it is you would like us to say to you or what kind of suggestions you are looking for so I'll just bow out now rather than say the wrong thing.

Sorry to hear of your condition, and yes as you know the weight gain is because of the medication.

Be encouraged because you know that you can lose the weight again. You already have the tool in place and once the medication and treatment is done you can go back to losing. I know it sounds like a step backward, but really you're the encouragement and testimony to the band. Yes you're going through this now, but you'll lose not once but twice because you have the tools and knowledge on how to do it, and do it successfully.

You're a testimony and inspiration to others. Yes you may have some tough times, but get back on it, as soon as you're able and do what you can... setbacks are part of life, but it's when we overcome them that make us great!