Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can eat just about anything...

I had my surgery on September 4, 2009. I have had two fills with a total of 4.7cc in a 10cc band.

After my second fill I was very restricted for about a week. After that, nothing.... It has been 6 weeks and I have gained 3lbs... My Dr. thinks its my food choices and wants me to see a dietican.. I know some of its my choice in foods but I think if I was restricted enough, I couldnt eat breads and LARGE PORTIONS...

Does this mean I need another fill??:smile2:

Depends on what you're over indulging in, if it's bread then yes you probably need a fill but if it's a slider food then restriction can't do much for you. Of course this is just my individual experience.

Well, that is one of the hazards of the Lap Band. It is very easy to defeat. If your "bad eating habits" have always included soft and slider foods, then you are gonna have a problem with the band. Restriction will only help just so much. A lot of people who have the band are not told about this when they sign up for it. And if they are, they often don't listen.

It is one of the first lessons I was taught way before I was banded that my food choices have to change. I ate whatever I wanted in whatever quantity I wanted and I had to make a decision about it. I chose not to eat those things any longer. It hasn't been easy but definitely worth it. Protein solids and veggies; calories in versus calories out makes it very simple. Are you counting calories or watching your intake at all? Are you exercising at all? It makes a big difference in your weight loss efforts.

I've had 2 fills and so I am still dieting and going to WW. My doctor said I would need to do this until I get to the right restriction. But even then you need to be thoughtful about what you eat. You need a few more fills yet so don't get frustrated with yourself.

I had my surgery on September 4, 2009. I have had two fills with a total of 4.7cc in a 10cc band.

After my second fill I was very restricted for about a week. After that, nothing.... It has been 6 weeks and I have gained 3lbs... My Dr. thinks its my food choices and wants me to see a dietican.. I know some of its my choice in foods but I think if I was restricted enough, I couldnt eat breads and LARGE PORTIONS...

Does this mean I need another fill??:unsure:

Your doctor doesn't think, he KNOWS it is your food choices.

You may or may not need another fill but what you definitely need is to change your eating habits.

Contrary to popular belief, the lapband and fills do NOT make you lose weight. You lose weight when you burn more calories than you are eating.

Have you been logging everything you eat? If not, start doing that. It will help you and your doctor/nutritionist see where the problem may be. It may also surprise you. You may be eating more than you thought.

Eat only 3 meals a day and space them out 5 hours.

Try to eat more meat and vegetables than you do grains. If you have trouble here, eat the meat first, then the vegetables then the grains.

Chew each mouthful long and hard. Not only will this keep the food from getting stuck, it will give your stomach time to tell you when it is full.

Stop eating when you are full. You do NOT have to clear your plate.

Do not drink with your meals. This only helps the food slide through to your real stomach and defeats the purpose of the lapband.

Drink at least 64 ounces of Water a day. None within 30 minutes of a meal.

This is what the dietitian is going to tell you.

Didn't your surgeon go over all of this?

I've heard it all 4 times from my surgeon and I'm not even banded. I have to hear it again on January 11th.

You can do this!

Keep reading here. Read what the successful people have done and try to follow their examples. Read what the failures have or haven't done and try to steer clear of their mistakes.

sorry to hijack the thread but what are some of the slider foods you guys speak of, i wanna avoid them =] thanx

sorry to hijack the thread but what are some of the slider foods you guys speak of, i wanna avoid them =] thanx

Slider foods are basically any food you eat that "slides" straight down to your real stomach.

#1 on the list is ice cream.

The there's pudding, yogurt, Jello, any liquid containing calories, mashed potatoes, cottage cheese, Soup, etc...

Not speaking from experience yet but these are the foods I plan on keeping to a limit.

Slider foods are basically any food you eat that "slides" straight down to your real stomach.

#1 on the list is ice cream.

The there's pudding, yogurt, Jello, any liquid containing calories, mashed potatoes, cottage cheese, Soup, etc...

Not speaking from experience yet but these are the foods I plan on keeping to a limit.

Sorry -- and not to sound contrary, but speaking from experience --

Yogurt, soup and cottage cheese are absolutely not slider foods. Skim milk yogurt (137 calories/14 g Protein per cup) is a staple in most WLS diets, as it is very high in Protein and relatively low in calories and fat -- especially if you opt for the low fat versions. Greek yogurt is even higher in protein. Yogurt can replace Mayonnaise in many fatty recipes. The same is true for cottage cheese (163 calories/28 g protein per cup) which can replace ricotta, or simply be enjoyed on it's own. And unless you get the ultra creamy/fatty Soups, soup can be a very good food choice -- it can be filling and yet low in both calories and fat.

Slider foods are those foods that slide through your new pouch and that add empty calories into your daily diet, so, for instance, sugary drinks, high carb foods, deserts, and so forth.

Sorry -- and not to sound contrary, but speaking from experience --

Contradict all you'd like. I am still learning here too.

Thanks for the info!

Does this mean I need another fill??:unsure:

When you say "large portions" how big a portion are you talking? For instance, how many scrambled eggs do you typically eat at a sitting?

Now, think about how those eggs prepared? With milk? Whole eggs, egg whites or egg substitute? Cooked in butter or cooking spray? With or without cheese? Served plain or on toast?

If with toast, how many pieces? Is it buttered?

And what is on the side? Bacon? Turkey or regular? How many pieces? Hashbrowns? How are they prepared? How many do you eat?

We make dozens of choices with very meal. Writing down what you eat, how much you eat, and how you eat it is key to success, I think, as it makes us aware of the choices we've made -- both good AND bad.

If you need the nutrition data for a food item or recipe, a good resource is Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com I'm sure there are others out there, but that's the one that I use and I love it.

Best of luck to you!

Contradict all you'd like. I am still learning here too.

Thanks for the info!

Well then I wouldn't contradict at all, as I don't like it, ha ha! And trust me you're so not alone -- I'm still learning, too!

Thanks for this info. I havent heard it enough, I think this is the problem, my Dr. doesnt have a post op program to help answer all of these questions... This is just what I needed! Thanks again!

I do need to start journaling again.... This will probebly help me alot. I joined the gym last week and plan on starting this week. What types of excersise do you do?

Thanks again for the post!

If your dr does not have a post op program ask your insurance most often times they do