Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 1 of pre-op diet

I am on my first day of the pre-op liquid diet. I don't think it was too bad except for the following:

1) The Protein shakes served cold makes me feel nauseas. So I have learned to drink them warm.

2) I have terrible gas (from the Protein shake I believe).

I have only consumed 1 1/2 shakes (4 is actually is a lot to consume in a day) and ate a 1 lb of carrots. I have also drank 32 oz of Water. So I have half there on my first day. 2 shakes to go and 32 oz of water.

Maybe I can make it through this after all.

Any suggestions on how to help with the gas and upset stomach?

I started my pre op diet yesterday as well and am having my surgery the same day. My docotro allows his patients to use sugar free carnation instant Breakfast mixed with skim milk. Those are not bad. I have Myoplex as well...I thought I was drinking pepto...it was awful. I didnt have the gas problem. Ask about the carnation/milk combo. If I try to drink the others I fell like I am going to throw them up before I finish one.

The nurse at my doc's office also said you can add sugar free Syrup (used to flavor coffee) to the Protein shakes to flavor them. I have not tried that.

Good Luck :tongue:

I felt the same way. I have learned to drink them warm as that helps a bit. Also eating carrots while drinking the shake minimizes that feeling also.

I don't think I can do the carnation/milk pre-op but can post-op. I have a very specific list for pre-op to follow and that isn't listed. However, I will try post-op.

What time is your surgery scheduled on the 4th? Mine is 10:30 so first thing. Have you had your upper gi yet? I am nervous, I have it tomorrow morning.

Keep in touch.

I have my upper GI tomorrow (Wed). I am not sure what time my actual surgery is but I have to be at the hospital at 5:30 AM.

Hi I'm getting banded on the 5th. It is right around the corner. My doctor told me I can have as much greens as I want. I thought that will make life so much easier, however not very tasty withot all the butter and salt I'm used to putting on it but at least it give me a short break from the shake. I have serious headaches BUT when I think about how I will look after I just keep going. WE are definitely gonna make it. Good luck to you.

Pre-Op diet totally depends on your BMI. Patients to maintain a high protein/low carbohydrate diet prior to LAP-BAND® surgery. Specifically, this means no bread, no Pasta, no rice, no potatoes. The duration of the diet depends on the BMI: 7days for BMI's under 40, 10 days for 40-50, 14 days for BMI's over 50.

Thank you AliceZ that was good information. My BMI is 42 so I guess I fall in the 10 day category. It is going well thus far. I was worried about Christmas my mother cooked so much food. I did it! I ate some collard greens that's it along with my shakes. I know that I am truly ready to change my life style. Merry Christmas to all

I start semi liquids tomorrow (2 liquid meals & 1 regular meal) then on Tuesday Clear Liquids. My surgery is Wednesday 12/30. I am nervous about it but I'm glas it's not 7-10 days of liquids. I wonder why this varies from doctor to doctor.

I start on Wednesday. I find it interesting all the different pre-op diet instructions we're all given. Mine's 14 days and only 3 shakes, but all liquid all day. Can only have 1 cup of Tomato Soup and 1 cup of oatmeal with my shakes. Oh and all the sugar free clear liquids I want (jello, Crystal Light, popsicles). I'm hoping that will make it somewhat easier. We'll see! All I know is that I have to do it to get to my real goal. On surgery day, if I haven't lost weight, they will postpone surgery. They're serious about this and I know I have to be too!

I started my liquid diet today too. My doctor requires everyone to be on 3 8oz shakes a day for 2 weeks before surgery and 2 weeks after. The only thing I can add is sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles and Water, water and more water... After eating Breakfast and lunch, I know this won't be an easy 4 weeks. But it is all worth it :thumbup:)