Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

scared of saggy skin!!!

Im only 18 years old, currently 200 pounds and my goal is 130. Im hoping to be banded at the end of Jan.Im so afraid that after surgery and after losing weight im going to have really ugly saggy skin, i know i could never pay for liposuction its taken FOREVER for my insurance company to even approve lapband!

has anyone else had alot of problems with sagging skin? Because im so young do you think it could maybe go back into place?:smile2:

I'm really concerned about that too. I am 24. I read that it really depends on how many times your weight has gone up and down, your age, if you smoke, and if you exercise.

I will be sad, but it's better than being unhealthy, I guess.

It depends a lot on genetics but also how heavy you've gotten and how long you've been that way. For women, a couple of pregnancies probably do the most damage, only we dont know at the time because of all the fat we have!

I reckon at your age and weight, you've got a really good chance of getting out of this pretty lightly. That's what's good about tackling 70lb instead of 140!

You might have a teeny bit, but believe me, you'll be so thrilled to be normal and thin and when you look around you so many people these days are so big, that a bit of loose skin goes unnoticed. I mean, when everyone under the age of 20 is walking round with their butt crack showing and their muffin tops bulging over their jeans most of them look worse than a bit of loose skin ever will, lol. Dont I sound OLD? tee hee (I dont mind a pair of butt crack baring jeans myself)

At your age, I bet your skin bounces right back. A Few things you can do to help the situation... make sure you get in the daily recommended Protein AND find an exercise you enjoy and do it every day (or almost every day). Oh yes, and definitely don't smoke. Smoking breaks down collagen in your skin and makes it less elastic.

thank you guys your information helped to ease my mind a ton! and no i deff. dont smoke, dont need that going aginst my health aswell! i think i would rather risk the saggy skin and be healthy anyways, so im up for the challenge!

Get a dermaroller and some good skin firming cream! And I dont want to be the pessimistic one in this situation, but losing weight from the lapband is most likely going to give you saggy skin regardless of your age. Your age will more or so have to do with how well your skin will snap back, but that could be over a couple years.

The best thing you can do is to be preventive. Saggy skin is not inevitable. You can dry brush your skin to get rid of dead skin cells and improve circulation, you can use a dermaroller which improves skin regeneration and your skin's collagen supply.

But yeah, there are tons of skin products you can try. Just focus on skin rejuvenation and elasticity.

Get your required Protein and work out, lose body fat and not muscle and you'll be fine. Loose/saggy skin is created when you lose muscle and not fat. Period. - Doesn't matter if you lose weight from lapband or natural or any other way.

Im only 18 years old, currently 200 pounds and my goal is 130. Im hoping to be banded at the end of Jan.Im so afraid that after surgery and after losing weight im going to have really ugly saggy skin, i know i could never pay for liposuction its taken FOREVER for my insurance company to even approve LAP-BAND®!

has anyone else had alot of problems with sagging skin? Because im so young do you think it could maybe go back into place?:blink:

You have everything in your favor. I bet you will look fabulous. And I wish I would have done something when I only had 70 to loose.

One thing I have always done is I put oil on my skin after I step out of the shower before I dry off. Then I follow it up with lotion on other parts like my tummy.

Get your required Protein and work out, lose body fat and not muscle and you'll be fine. Loose/saggy skin is created when you lose muscle and not fat. Period. - Doesn't matter if you lose weight from LAP-BAND® or natural or any other way.

What do you base this info on? I have not see that to be accurate at all.

eta: I believe that Vitamin C affects the elasticity. Taken internally. I don't think that I believe there is anything you can apply to make the skin elastic.

Edited by MissyMS

eta: I believe that Vitamin C affects the elasticity. Taken internally. I don't think that I believe there is anything you can apply to make the skin elastic.

• My own 140lbs+ weight loss in less than a year (pre-band)
  • My multitude of celebrity fitness personalities and professional athlete clients I represent.
  • My doctor and their doctors/trainers.
  • Multitudes of medical and fitness research on the subject over the last 5 years.

Vitamin K is what creates skins elasticity and promotes collagen along with Vitamins C, E, A and B complex.

If you research it you'll find many sites and references on the subject. Here are some that are written in layman's terms for the general public:

The Myth of Loose Skin

Dieters: How to Avoid Loose Skin Problems by Janice Elizabeth Small Simply Slimming

How to Tighten Loose Skin After Losing Weight: Saggy Skin Can Be Prevented and Fixed, Page 2 of 2 - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Now you may be asking ok but??? The process as the first link goes into is that Protein feeds and builds your muscles, your muscles burn fat, in turn keeping your skin tight.

I could show you some medical and industry sites as well that give you breakdown on how you should eat x amount of grams of Protein per what you weigh and want to weigh to avoid excess skin.

If you research the topic in depth, you'll come to find the same conclusion.

After re-reading this thread I think you may have been meaning to quote and respond to princess rockem and her skin cream application repsonse before my response.

If it was in fact meant for me - please see above. If not either way good info for everyone :smile: