Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Regrets?

I am new to the group and have been thinking about the Band for quite awhile. I realize at this point in my life I'm not able to lose the weight like I used to. I have had two major knee reconstrcuts and I can't exercise like I used to, hence lot's of weight gain.

My brother has had the surgery and I see the good as well as some of the bad with his experience.

I'm sure like most of you I'm having thoughts about failure (If I have to resort to something this drastic then I must be a failure), how this will effect my life (both good and bad).

So lot's going on inside my head. But I also know that if I don't get this weight off I will be much worse off.

So My question to you all that have had this are what are your regrets, would you do it again or try other means to get to your weight loss goals?

My wife and I are going to an info seminar Monday so I'm sure that will answer alot of my other questions. Hopefully $$$ won't be an issue, I am on TRICARE as I'm retired military, and I know they now cover this surgery.

Thanks in advance for the info.

D:thumbup:

Just one that I didn't do it sooner......

I've struggled with my weight most of my life in the last several years I've been going up and up. My brother died at 43 of aa massive heartattack, all of my dad's brothers dies of heartattacks adn my dad had heart problems but eventually died in a car accident. I had two blockages myself at 42 and almost had open heart surgery so this could have meant life or death for me.

Ditto here. Wish I had done it sooner. I fooled around with a lot of research for a long time. Not a bad thing because I found a wonderful surgeon and staff in the process which for me was essential in my weight loss efforts. I look in the mirror and think about what I looked like and how unhealthy and inactive I had become and it makes me so sad that I let it happen. There are so many emotional issues and physical issues associated with weight gain that shorten our life span. What a gift I found with the band. It is still a lot of hard work and there is a boatload of eating temptation and people trying to sabotage your efforts but it is worth every defiant "No thanks. I don't need that piece of pie today." I am still adjusting to shopping for normal clothes but I am thrilled about it just the same.

Wish I would have done it sooner also. You mentioned that you felt like a failure but I like what someone wrote and that is you fail when you stop trying. I wrote myself a letter about all my experiences with trying to loose weight and why I wanted the lap band one of which was my knees. I had two knee replacements so I know what you mean by sitting around getting fatter and more depressed. I love my lapband and am down 43 pounds so far.

Just want to say thanks for all the info and support. We will be going to our first step in this process tomorrow. Info seminar at the hospital about the surgery. I will have a list of questions for them.

I alrealy gave my Dr. a list of history so he could write up the consult for the insurance co. I'm hoping that there isn't too many road blocks on their part. I think I should have most of the bases covered that they want to see (unfortunately) sleep apnea, over 100lbs + weight tables for my height, bad knees, bad back. Don't know what more they would need to see to approve.

Wish me luck!

i was banded on aug 21, 2009. I went thru all the hoops! 6 months of a doc supervised diet, multiple psych appointments (like 4!), a couple sleep studies, i ran the whole gamut! 4 months out i've lost 45 lbs. i've dropped from a size 20 jean to a 14. I'm off one of my two blood pressure meds. my knees never ache like they use to. I've had 5-6 fills and recently one small unfill.

A friend asked me the other day if my weight loss were to end here would i do it again? Oh Yes. even if 45 lbs was the end of it i would do it all over again. I feel great! I can't really see the weight loss when i look in the mirror but i hear other people can, lol! eventually i'm sure i'll start to recognize it and thankfully I know it's not the end, as the weight is still coming off. and i know it can be even better.

No regrets at all!

My only regret is that I did have the band sooner. My wife and I both had the band in September 07. She was ready a couple of years earlier.

I have always been able to loose weight but no matter how much I lost I would always gain the weight back plus an additional 10.

I had developed diabetes, sleep apnea and both knees and back pain not to mentioned unable to move around well. I was a size 56 + weight size 3 x shirts.

Now no more diabetes, no sleep apnea, no pain in my knees or back, I wear size 36 pants and medium shirts.

So I would definitely say the whole adventure has been worth it. Even If I fluctuate or hit a period of time where I do not loose weight the fact that I have not gained more then a few pounds here is amazing.

Jack, Congrats! My wife and I went to the info meeting last night and everything was going great until they said they basically did not accept insurance. So now I have to find a provider who will accept TRICARE. Other than that I'm ready to go. Looking forward to FEELING GOOD!

THIS VERY DAY!!! is my Bandaversary. I'm now FIVE YEARS postOp!!!

I don't think I would have been alive now without the installation of my Little Angel of the Silicon Fist.

My worst day postOp has been far far better than my best day in the preceding 15 years.

Regrets? Only that I waffled so long.

Cheers on your journey.

Belated Bandaversary Jack. What a terrific accomplishment. Yestereday I was with my grand daughter and father and mother and dear wife at Disney Land and it felt great to know that I did not have to worry if I was going to fit in the seat.

Take care.

I would have to agree with all the others; my only regret is not having it done sooner. I began this process on April 28, 2009 (306 lbs). That was my first appointment with the surgeon. I began my pre op diet that very day. I had surgery on August 28, 2009. I had dropped 50 lbs by surgery. Here it is December 30, 2009. I am down 107 lbs (199 lbs). I feel better than I ever have in my entire life. I will be 40 this coming year and I am definitely in the best shape I have ever been in. It has not been easy, you get out of this what you put into it. I have worked hard to acheive the results that I have. If your willing to make changes in your lifestyle then the lapband is the perfect tool to help you.

Best of luck,

Doug