Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining weight to so insurance will pay for Lap Band

This taxpayer is willing to take his chances and wait until later. Maybe by then they will have dispatched Medicare or at least closed the loopholes in the disability laws.

That doesnt answer the question. Moral issues of whether medicare should cover this or not, lets pretend it will. So how is it ANY different to treat a patient now, at a BMI of 34, than later at a BMI of 45, when the patient ALSO has a raft of comorbidities chewing up even more tax dollars for ongoing treatment?

Would we be arguing about whether she ought to be treated for her diabetes or not, or would you be happy for your tax dollars to pay for that?

I find so many people in this community have this inbuilt attitude towards weight loss surgery, that its somehow OK as long as the patient is massively obese but if there's even a HINT of cosmetic benefit, look out! For someone to suggest that SHE looked ok at 184 and 5ft 2 so therefore there's no need for surgery is just plain stupid. Its a BMI of 34. Its obese.

So tell me, how does waiting for another 120 lb to creep on benefit anyone?

If I had to make assumptions about you - I'd guess you're fairly young and full of your own self righteous and as yet unfounded political opinions, that you grew up easy, had everything on a platter and had the opportunity to make of your life what you pleased. You hate people that have very large families because they're sponging off your tax dollars by having kids they cant afford. But you'll be happy to take the benefit of THEIR tax dollars when you're old and infirm and all those kids are out there working.

Miss Cleo, you need to find a new profession. Your psychic abilities are lacking terribly.

That doesnt answer the question. Moral issues of whether medicare should cover this or not, lets pretend it will. So how is it ANY different to treat a patient now, at a BMI of 34, than later at a BMI of 45, when the patient ALSO has a raft of comorbidities chewing up even more tax dollars for ongoing treatment?

Would we be arguing about whether she ought to be treated for her diabetes or not, or would you be happy for your tax dollars to pay for that?

I find so many people in this community have this inbuilt attitude towards weight loss surgery, that its somehow OK as long as the patient is massively obese but if there's even a HINT of cosmetic benefit, look out! For someone to suggest that SHE looked ok at 184 and 5ft 2 so therefore there's no need for surgery is just plain stupid. Its a BMI of 34. Its obese.

So tell me, how does waiting for another 120 lb to creep on benefit anyone?

OK. I will be blunt.

The BMI never made a difference to me.

I don't believe in public assistance for the able-minded. If somebody has the ability to chat on the internet and collaborate to scam the American taxpayer, they have the ability to work.

I don't care if somebody has a BMI of 99 and pops like a balloon. I shouldn't be unwillingly paying the bill for their elective surgery.

We have people in this country unwilling to work because they are depressed and some because they are morbidly obese. I am both, as are most of the members of this site and we all work. Somehow our society has become so liberal that these people not only feel no shame but they are openly trying to cheat us.

Anybody concerned about her well-being can send a check.

I couldn't have been any more blunt than that.

Wow, nice.

I guess political opinions differ, but I sure hope neither of you are ever in a position where you need help.

Karma can be a bitch.

wow.. do you guys see what you are being brought into? The poster asked a question.. she didn't ask what YOUR opinion on her having the surgery was. sheesh.

If you are really that upset about our healthcare system, then do something about it.. or shut up. I seriously hope you guys vote... cause if you don't, you have no right to open your mouth. If all you are going to do is sit on your butt at your computer and whine that she's ripping off the American people, take a gander at our government.. you think they are all honest hard working American citizens? Give me a break.

I vote.

I don't believe in karma.

I'm done with this thread. I think my pain made me a little more bullheaded than normal and I really said exactly was on my mind in a way that I probably shouldn't have but you can't take it back and I do believe that it's foolish to make yourself gain weight to get a weight loss surgery.

Perhaps the orignal poster should continue to eat cookie dough to lose weight though. It seems to be working.

Swangirl/gal/whatever: Just so you know, I'm a taxpayer myself. I worked full time as an RN until I got mentally ill. I still continue to work part time as an RN. I was on BC/BS until my husband got laid off and now he works full time at a place that doesn't offer health insurance. My Medicare has become primary. I pay for my toddler, who we adopted, to have private health insurance. I didn't see the need for me to continue to have private health insurance when I had Medicare.

I am obese, don't care what you say, and I honestly don't think I'm scamming anyone. I also have hypertension, which I'm sure would be considered a co-morbid thing. All I wanted was a little support...I now know to ignore your opinions, so thank you for that!

Blessings, Michelle

Yes Swan Girl she has Medicare but you think it would be better to pay thousands and thousands more for the care she will need if she continues to become obese and develop serious health problems? GET A CLUE!

YOUR TAX DOLLARS will be paying for her health care if she get diabetes, heart problems, high blood pressure, high cholestorol, and the mirade of obesity related health risks.

You think that will cost less than preventive medicine now?

I don't understand this ignorance at all. She needs preventive care. No she is not starting off at 300 lbs and BMI of 52. But why does she need to risk her life, when she can get care NOW?

She wants to be healthy. 184 lbs is not a Healthy BMI at her height. This isn't about what she LOOKS like. Lapband is about Saving your life, eliminating Health risks.

:eek: I agree with you, Completely. Nicely put.

Wow, nice.

I guess political opinions differ, but I sure hope neither of you are ever in a position where you need help.

Karma can be a bitch.

Just read this thread and I am gobsmacked.

I cannot believe how narrowminded and bigoted some people are.

And the worst thing is this is supposed to be a support site!

I am very glad that I never had to have a BMI of over 40 to qualify for surgery.I looked disgusting with a BMI of 32 and anyone that said otherwise would have been lying. I looked 10 months pregnant - could not get clothes to fit as if they were big enough to go over my stomach they were way to big everywhere else.

So glad that I had the option of surgery before I ended up not just obese but morbidly or super obese.I can't see how a person that carries on eating until they get to that category are deserving of surgery whilst those that try to stem the problem earlier aren't.

As someone else has already said - what a bunch of hypocrites!

Edited by elcee

Come now, are you really informed enough to form and opinion on a country that is half-way around the world's medical system?

Our healthcare system is just fine.

This taxpayer is willing to take his chances and wait until later. Maybe by then they will have dispatched Medicare or at least closed the loopholes in the disability laws.

you think our health care is fine until you lose your job and your benefits, and lose your retirement , your home etc. or are denied a treatment by a pencil pusher. I am talking about honest hardworking folk finding themselves in this situation.... Too many are in the cold. There are always those who cheat the system but too often the honest people and their families are screwed.

Hey everyone. I'm 5'2 and weigh 184. My BMI is 34. I'm on Medicare; you have to have a BMI of 35 for Medicare to pay. Any suggestions for me? Paying out of pocket is not an option. I loaded up on cookie dough last week...I've almost polished off one package but it is killing me and I have to gag it down. I stepped on the scales today hoping for 190 or close, and I've lost 4 lbs!!!!!! This is driving me nuts!

Anyone know of something heavy I can stick in my bra when I meet my surgeon????? j/k....MAYBE! ARGH!

Blessings, Michelle

if the end goal is to be healthy, cookie dough is not your best bet. Always keep the intention in mind.:thumbup:

Just read this thread and I am gobsmacked.

I cannot believe how narrowminded and bigoted some people are.

And the worst thing is this is supposed to be a support site!

I am very glad that I never had to have a BMI of over 40 to qualify for surgery.I looked disgusting with a BMI of 32 and anyone that said otherwise would have been lying. I looked 10 months pregnant - could not get clothes to fit as if they were big enough to go over my stomach they were way to big everywhere else.

So glad that I had the option of surgery before I ended up not just obese but morbidly or super obese.I can't see how a person that carries on eating until they get to that category are deserving of surgery whilst those that try to stem the problem earlier aren't.

As someone else has already said - what a bunch of hypocrites!

So, should all surgeries be covered? There have to be some guidelines. And, I am with those who think it it stupid to intentionally gain weight. So sue me.

OP, that said, are you off the meds that caused the initial weight gain? And what does your doc say about that link, the potential for loss, and your illness? If you can't lose while on the meds how will that change if you continue to take them? I know that if I was on meds that caused weight gain, as I have been, that I could not quit eating even with a surgery, kwim? I'd have found a way to cheat the system.