Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

day of fill eating?

my first fill is tuesday morning. while my surgeon has not given me any instructions (ie. fasting), are there any rules of thumb you go by the day of your fill? -- i mean before it.

i have a Breakfast meeting and i was planning on just grits. yay or nay?

thanks!

my first fill is tuesday morning. while my surgeon has not given me any instructions (ie. fasting), are there any rules of thumb you go by the day of your fill? -- i mean before it.

i have a Breakfast meeting and i was planning on just grits. yay or nay?

thanks!

You can eat anything the day of the fill. After the fill my Dr. said just liquids for the remainder of the day. The next day you can go back to the food you have been on. Just make sure that you do not drink fast. Take smaller sips then what you have been doing because I made the mistake of drinking too fast after the fill and I experienced the stuck feeling as which I vomited too.

Most people don't feel restriction after the first fill. I did. Good luck to you.

I was wondering the same thing....Not about what you can eat AFTER a fill but should you go in with an empty pouch or eat normal? Will it make a difference in the amount of restriction you think you feel? I have read that some people are told to drink a sip of Water just after fill, will it make a difference if you go in with somthing already there?

First, it's important to remember that every surgeon has their own way of doing things. I usually have my fills late in the afternoon, so obviously, I can't go all day not eating... so they tell me to eat light, mushies and liquids... when I would go in the morning, then I have to go in having not eaten yet. My surgeon says liquids for 24 hrs after the fill. Other surgeons say Clear Liquids for a few days, then regular liquids for a few days and then mushies for a few days... your best bet is to call your surgeon today and ask what they want or don't want you to have before you come in that day for your fill. Also, ask them how long they want you to be on liquids after your fill. You really can't go by what everyone else does, you need to follow YOUR surgeons instructions... they have their reasons for doing things the way they do... good luck!!

Will it make a difference in the amount of restriction you think you feel?

that is exactly what i am wondering. i am eating about an hour before my appointment. that is why i was thinking about a slider food (grits) so i will not have much in my pouch...

i don't know the science....

For a fill under fluoro, I was told no solid food two hours prior to an appointment (liquids were fine). Not much was said for an in office fill. Often times we decided I needed a fill after a consultation, but I took it upon myself not to eat two hours prior to an appointment, just in case I needed an adjustment.

You really can't go by what everyone else does, you need to follow YOUR surgeons instructions... they have their reasons for doing things the way they do... good luck!!

thanks. my surgeon has no day of fill rules. i know that already.

i am really just looking for rules of thumbs, tricks of the trade, etc based on others experiences.

well, since it sounds like you are going in for your fill like an hour after your breakfast meeting... if that is the case, I would not have anything other then maybe a Protein Shake. Even grits, while a slider food, could still be sitting in your pouch.... and if there is food in your pouch when you get a fill, then you won't get a true reading on the fill amount... If you have a several hours after your breakfast meeting before you go in for your fill, then you should be ok to have some grits. If anyone asks why you are not eating (and they don't know about your surgery), just tell them that you are having blood work after the meeting that requires you to fast.... they will not know any different... if they know about your surgery and ask, just tell them you have an appt w/your surgeon for a fill and your stomach must be empty....

thanks. that is what i was trying to understand.

i stride to live my life open and honestly. the reason why it is a breakfast meeting is because i knew i would not want to be at a lunch meeting after my fill. my staff knows what is going on and there is no need to explain anything as far as why i am or am not eating!

thanks again.

Good luck!! Let us know how it goes. Feel free to email me if you would like. I have been banded almost 7 months.. I am happy to answer any questions... I realize I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have been banded and successful so far.... you can email me at untfluter@comcast.net

thanks. that is what i was trying to understand.

i stride to live my life open and honestly. the reason why it is a breakfast meeting is because i knew i would not want to be at a lunch meeting after my fill. my staff knows what is going on and there is no need to explain anything as far as why i am or am not eating!

thanks again.

Good luck!! Let us know how it goes. Feel free to email me if you would like. I have been banded almost 7 months.. I am happy to answer any questions... I realize I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have been banded and successful so far.... you can email me at untfluter@comcast.net

thanks! that is very generous of you.

i just looked at your profile and see we are probably neighbors. in fact, my daughter was born at the hospital where you had your surgery!

Who did your surgery?? I had mine w/Dr. Paul Wizman.. I LOVE him.. LOL Your daughter was born at Northwest Medical Center in Margate?? That's cool!!

thanks! that is very generous of you.

i just looked at your profile and see we are probably neighbors. in fact, my daughter was born at the hospital where you had your surgery!

Dr. Bass in Hollywood did my surgery. I am really happy with the aftercare and support i am getting from his office.

I went to the NWMC seminar last year and was turned off by the surgeon's attitude toward fills and success rate. I don't know if it was Wizman or not.

Dr. Bass has done a lot of people i know through work (liberal insurance policy) and comes highly recommended.

I met Dr. Bass at the S.Florida Walk from Obesity this year.. you might know a good friend of mine... Dr. Bass did her surgery too... Dr. Wizman does his seminar at his office...so I'm not sure if it was him or not... maybe he did it at the hospital last year... but he has been great... as a matter of fact, he filled me a week before thanksgiving... Water went down fine during.. but i couldn't get anything down hardly... the next day, after being in the OR all day and 3 yrs of support group meetings, him and his nurse met me at their office at 8:45pm to take some Fluid out... not may surgeons would do that... anyway, email me at my comast... let's get together since we are so close to each other!!

Dr. Bass in Hollywood did my surgery. I am really happy with the aftercare and support i am getting from his office.

I went to the NWMC seminar last year and was turned off by the surgeon's attitude toward fills and success rate. I don't know if it was Wizman or not.

Dr. Bass has done a lot of people i know through work (liberal insurance policy) and comes highly recommended.