Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

old bandster looking for support, direction, advice

I was banded quite a while ago. Long enough that I should have reached my goal weight by now. :w00t: I did fairly well right after surgery, then hit a plateau, then lost some more, then plateaued, and now have gained. I'm still well below my starting weight and I want to get back on track and use my band to help me get there so I'm looking for some support!

I feel like I have failed. I was given this tool to use to help me lose weight and I feel like I have done everything in my power to get around it. I am a food addict for sure, and I do not recognize when I am feeling full. I had (have?) what I felt was good restriction from 5 fills over a year or so (I've been banded a lot longer than that, no fills recently). But I consciously eat things I know I shouldn't, eat too fast, too much, well y'all know how it goes. My life is super stressful and I use food for comfort. Another issue is I don't want to go back to my original surgeon, long story.

So, what do I do now? I'm at the point where I feel like I've given up on my band. Don't get me wrong, I WANT to get back on track but I just can't see how I can at this point.

Thanks for listening.

First thing I"d do is go back to the doc's office. I was told that after you reached your "sweet spot", you should be seen every six months and that they would check the amount of Fluid in my band and "top off" if necessary because a small amount of Fluid can (for lack of a better word choice) evaporate. Now, I've had a couple of unfills over the time since I've been banded and I know how much difference just .2cc made so that's a big possibility.

Second, go back to the basics. It's way too easy to over time, add a little more food to what you're eating and up your calories without thinking about it. 3 oz. of lean Protein, a vegetable and a serving of whole grain carb. If you're truly hungry in less than 4 hours, you definitely need a fill. If you have to snack, make the snack Protein, around 70 calories. A boiled egg, an ounce of low fat cheese.

Third, JOURNAL. Write down every bite you're putting in your mouth. You may see exactly where your problem is.

Good luck!

you are only a failure if you give up... obviously you have not.

You are able to recognize that what has sabataged the band so far, perhaps a talk with the psychologist would help? A food journal is an EXCELLENT idea. I use one and have taken to adding two more bits of information in addition to what I eat. I also write down WHY I ate it and what type of MOOD I am in at the time. It has helped me see a pattern that I am working to change.

Good luck to you :wink2:

I just joined today so I just saw your message. I am in the same boat you are. I was banded in 05. I've not gained any back but have other issues...like using throwing up to eat what I want, it's too easy to do. Would love to talk to you more.

Personally I need more than 5 ccs to feel properly restricted. You might want to see yor doc for another fill....that might give you some more motivation!! Good luck!!

If you are having issues with your Dr, find another one in your area. You just need to get back on track and maybe a fresh face and fresh ideas will help. Good luck

Hi there You have to take 1 day at a time. 1st of all you are not a failure because you haven't completely given up. The good thing is you regnized you have a problem and it's time to fix it. You need to say it's a new day with new rules. Make a menu for the week and follow it. Cut up some fruits and vegatables and have healthy Snacks available. Stay away form the fast foods. You have to get back to exercising. You have to start somewhere. You can't sit there feeling sorry for yourself and thinking you are a fealure; because if you do you will never try to get back on track. You didn't go through this surgery for nothing. So I say to you Work that band. and not let it work you. You can do it. I believe in you.:willy_nilly:

Too Much, well said!

Typo, how are you doing?

It would be great to keep this thread going, as I have been struggling also.

My insurance no longer covers my band, so I am not checking in as much as I should, but I do walk every day. I think that is the only thing keeping me from gaining right now til I can get my head in the right place again.

Hey Typo -

1st step - you are here.

2nd step - you realize what you did in error, and are willing to change.

3rd step - Let's try and keep motivated - I was banded 2 years ago, just had a revision, and want to start losing again too.

I need to plan out my food, keep the crap (slider foods) out of the house, and get to the gym at least 3x's a week. I am commited to it.

Brenda:thumbup:

This is a great thread I can relate to. Been stalled at -122 lbs for a very long time now, months, and it is my own careless eating here and there, nothing big as I do have restriction, that is keeping me back. I decided to get some counseling from the psychologist I had to see to get my psych clearance for surgery. I am hoping she can help me sort out why I'm using food again to comfort me when I am stressed. I have had the most stressful year job wise I can remember in maybe 20 years and it started in mid-February and has never eased off and it still is projected to go now until April so I am going to get professional help.

I do like the suggestion about writing out a food plan and eating only what is on that instead of just journaling and writing down what I am eating. Plan for portions -- now that might be a good slogan for 2010 for me!

Hi everyone.

This is exactly the thread i was looking for. I was banded in April 07. Lost 40 pounds and kept it off, until recently and i've gained 10 back. i was looking for others who may be in the same situation and looking for encouragement and a team to go through this.

I was figuring to make an appointment with my surgeon's office "after the holidays" , but also thinking of just doing it sooner so I can avoid another unnecessary 5 pounds or something.

I really need to make this work. i really thought the band would work better for me. Being away from the bandwagon, i did not have to face having it. but tonight, just looking around on this site, i've learned there is a name for what i eat and it's sliders. The best thing is now i know i'm not alone. The next thing is to just stick to getting this type of support. I didn't want to be the only one. It's great to come where i can be understood and maybe helped.

Can i please join in your thread and who's up for finishing what we started? I need to do this. I'll be making my appointment tomorrow and see if i can get a fill.

this feels good just writing here.

Yes, those of us who know we have to hang in here for the long time need to support anyone who asks. I saw a psychologist yesterday about how I have been eating to deal with my job problems and she is going to help me get on track. First thing she told me is to get away from the toxic man I am stuck with at work who has a real anger and control issue. I kept trying to fix the situation over and over in this whole year and she said simply - he is not fixable. Work on yourself and make yourself a priority -- which is what I did as I got cleared for surgery and through my first year. So, yesterday I did get 1/2 hour workout in over lunch on the recumbent bike and that was a positive.

Toxic men are always a problem. I have always been my thinnest between relationships. But since I'm married and the kids are getting a little older, I'm mentally making more plans to work on me. I have to stop though and separate reality from the excuses in my mental plans. Working out is something I miss, but my excuses include blowing out my knee or not being able to sleep because I worked out too late at night.

Good job on working out at lunch! Keep that up!

I told my husband this morning about how i was searching on this site last night and discovered others that have found comfort in food and that they have a name for it "sliders". I told him about my plan to get back to my surgeon's and get a fill. He tried to talk me out of it and said i should just eat healthier. I have restriction eating healthy. I have to get back to basics and re-learn the band rules.

So glad to find this site. I lost eighty three pounds and then had to get get some of my fill taken out. I went crazy and resorted back to my old eating habbits! It took me eight months and twenty pounds to get back to the doctor for a fill. Ive lost six more pounds & it is extra hard during the holidays to stay strong. I brought food to share for an office party, but I left the building and had a healthy lunch away from all the goodies at the office. So please don't give up, get back to the doctor and get a fill asap. Don't beat yourself up about it, learn from the mistake and move on. Together we can do it! Best wishes for a healthier and happier New Year! :tongue:

Plateaus can be very discouraging especially if we fall into bad habits. Plateaus can also be the way that a body has to try to encourage us to fall back to the so called good old days,

What I find great about the band after 2 1/2 years is that before band I could lose weight but than I would gain the weight back and then an additional 10 lbs. Now if I plateau or even gain 3 to five pounds I do not freak out but go back to the basics and start again. I find it easie not to give up and go back to the old ways of stinking thinking of saying what the use I will always be fat.

When I am on a long plateau I usually tend to rely on the NSV especially when they pertain to health issues.

At my highest weight of 320+ I had diabetics sleep apnea, back and knee problems, Could barely get off the couch and had a great deal of trouble sleeping and tired all the time.

Now no diabetes, no sleep apnea, no knee or back problems, tons of energy, and my grand children can barely keep up with me.