Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared please help

Hello, I am terrified. I am having terrible acid reflux and am scared that my band has slipped. I have a fill doctor that I can go to for a barium swallow and x-ray, and am planning to do that asap. But I got my band in Mexico so I'm wondering, what do I do if I have to have my band removed? Is there anyone out there who had to have their band removed due to slippage and insurance paid for it since it is causing medical problems? I know my insurance doesn't pay for putting a lap band in, but I'm wondering if it will to take it out. And what doctor should I see? Should I go to the emergency room? Please help. Thanks in advance :Yawn:

Dear Devotion, I am so sorry to hear you are feeling so poorly.

You did not mention when you were banded, and when this all started.

I suggest the ER if you cannot eat or drink anything in the past 12 hrs.

If you can, put yourself on a clear liquid diet until you can get in to see the doctor. Do not lay flat, elevate your upper half as much as possible when you relax. And I would stress to the person you talk to at the dr.s office that you are in distress, and need to be seen ASAP.

As far as insurance goes, they all vary, so to say for sure whether they cover after care or removal is impossible to say.

Keep us posted and gentle hugs are being sent to you.

~Cheryl

First thing is to calm down, if possible. You haven't given a lot of info. How long have you been in distress? Are you still urinating? Have you tried something like Pepcid Complete which is chewable and will settle right through.

By all means go to the ER if you feel that is best.

Good luck,

Mimi

Sorry I did not give more info. I do appreciate the responses so far. Essentially, I have been having severe heartburn for about three days and feeling nauseous. I've been taking Zantac to help with the heartburn. I've also been coughing a lot from the acid reflux (feels like liquid coming up in my throat suddenly). Finally, and sorry if this is TMI, but my stools have been orange in color. Something is not right. I'm going to go to the doctor I see for a barium swallow and x-ray but I have to wait a week to do that since she only does them on certain days. Again, I had my surgery in Mexico - it was a year ago - and I went to a great doctor. If my band slipped, it is my fault because I've been bad lately eating around the band and vomiting. :Yawn:

I know I will have to have the band repositioned or replaced if the band has slipped, but my question is - if the band has slipped, is this an emergency situation? Do I need to go to the ER? And for those who've had this happen, did insurance cover removal of the band if you went out of the country to have your band put in?

Hi there! I am sorry you are struggling with your band. I was banded in March of 08 and just had a revisional surgery 11 days ago.I am also here in AUstin.

I had a form of a slip - a dilitation - and the band had moved a little. I was very ill and symptomatic for about 8 months. I ended up with dehydration and in urgent care clinics several times for Fluid. I just assumed my vomiting was a normal side effect of the band. It can be to some extent, but not the extent in which I was vomiting.

It is my understanding that if the band fully slips and it's an emergency situation, you can not get ANYTHING to pass through. The nurse described it to me like a Water hose being kinked. Of course you should contact a medical professional for advice on this, but you could be suffering from the dilitation like I was. But as long as you are staying hydrated and don't have any other problematic symptoms, it's probably not an emergency room situation.

I know that if you show up to the ER, they have to treat you. Payment can be worked out later. If your insurance doesn't pay, you can pay it out or make other arrangements.