Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have Kaiser SoCal HMO, and I don't know who I'm supposed to ask first for the surgery; do I ask my PCP or do I have to find a surgeon first? It's also the time of year to renew our insurance and I've been reading that it's easier to get it with BC/BS, should I switch first then start the process? My BMI is 43 and I'm tired of being overweight! I've been trying since I was 11 to lose weight and nothing has worked permanently.

I want to get this process on the ball but I don't know where to start. THanks guys! :biggrin:

You might want to call your insurance company and see if it's covered, then go from there. Generally, I think you need to go to your PCP for a referral.

I financed because my insurance didn't cover it, though. This information might be completely wrong.

I have Kaiser SoCal HMO, and I don't know who I'm supposed to ask first for the surgery; do I ask my PCP or do I have to find a surgeon first? It's also the time of year to renew our insurance and I've been reading that it's easier to get it with BC/BS, should I switch first then start the process? My BMI is 43 and I'm tired of being overweight! I've been trying since I was 11 to lose weight and nothing has worked permanently.

I want to get this process on the ball but I don't know where to start. THanks guys! :biggrin:

You first have to call your insurance company to see if it's covered and then your PCP. I have BC/BS and I will tell you that they were great. I was required to wait 6 months though. I had to go through several tests. But as I said in another forum it was worth the wait because I got 6 nutritional visits and I really learned alot.

I also have BCBS and have a 3 month supervised diet. Because I have PPO I did not have to go through my PCP. I went to a seminar first and told my PCP after I was sure that I wanted it. I did not need a referral. HMO is different. Each and every BCBS policy is different. It depends on what your company buys. My husband and I both have BCBS and they are different as far as barratries go. Mine has a 3 month diet requirement, his does not. Because mine is primary I need to do the diet. Call and ask for specifics on the policy your company has.

Best of luck!

Edited by sndycnrd

Thanks guys! I guess I'm just gonna go with BC/BS PPO. And I'll call soon too! I'll update with my results. Thanks guys!

I have Kaiser So. Cal. and I believe they just recently resumed doing the lapband but they really push the gastric bypass. I got so tired of the run-around that I just self-paid and did what I want, where I want.

To answer your question, you need your primary doctor to refer you to the bariatric dept. then the bariatric dept. will schedule you for orientation. Once in orientation you register for the Options program. After 6 months of Options classes you will get to meet with the Preventative Medicine doctor.