Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

All I do is walk is this enouph?

Okay I live in hickville and the nearest gym is an hour away ( wouldnt know where to start if I had a gym to go to) As of now I walk a mile and 1/2 every day but thats about it. What can i do at home to work some muscle? If anything? If I did drive to a gym where should I start.?

Okay I live in hickville and the nearest gym is an hour away ( wouldnt know where to start if I had a gym to go to) As of now I walk a mile and 1/2 every day but thats about it. What can i do at home to work some muscle? If anything? If I did drive to a gym where should I start.?

I use the Wii Fit at home. There are also tons of DVD's on the market that you can do at home also. And walking is good for you. You can increase your speed as you go along. I will never be able to run but I'm at a brisk walk right now. That burns calories.

I have always heard that walking is the best exercise. I walk as often as I can. It also is the cheapest to start with as you can do it anywwhere without extra equipment.

After I lost 70 pounds, I did get the Wii fit and I now have the Wii fit plus and I love them both. I can't do a lot of the activities on them, but what I can do is a lot of fun and is good for you.

Remember, as long as you move you are doing better than not moving. Try walking a little farther or a little longer each time.

Walking is considered the best exercise you can do. Therefore, you are right on track. Just increase your distance and speed. About four miles a day should bring you about 3 pounds a week lost if you are eating what you are suppose too. Don't forget to drink your Water too!

Hi marmar...

Walking is perfect to do! You can also add Water bottles to your walk or just use them as weights at home. You'd be surprised how much the Water bottles weigh after a little while. They are easy to hold and curl. Carry them with you when you walk and you can work your arms as you walk. I also got the EA Sports Active and love that as well. I've added that to my Wii Fit Plus routines when the weather doesn't cooperate for me to be outside to walk.

Good luck on your journey. :tongue2:

I use the Wii Fit at home. There are also tons of DVD's on the market that you can do at home also. And walking is good for you. You can increase your speed as you go along. I will never be able to run but I'm at a brisk walk right now. That burns calories.

I walk during my lunch at work with a co-worker for 30 minutes. Sometimes we can get in about 1.5miles. I then do about 30 minutes of Wii fit...mostly aerobics in the evenings. I have always been very active even in the 300# but because of that and the damage to my joints, I have to be careful with certain exercise. I love weight training and boxing. When i added the Wii fit, I doubled my weight loss!. So any movement is good movement!

Turn some music on and dance around!!

I am walking everyday. I definitely feel it helping me tone my body. I do hills on purpose to work harder and try to increase my speed when I can. You can do exercises at home too, like push ups, sit ups etc. But just keep walking....

Google circuit training, there is loads and loads you can do at home with virtually no equipment to get really fit.

Walking is great, it shoudl be something everyone does often and at the start of your journey, when you're heavier and havent been active, then its perfect to get your weight loss going. It will build some muscle and fitness.

But the human body is designed to walk long distances and unless you're a dedicated power walker, it will be really difficult to build impressive fitness and lose 100% of your excess weight, gaining the type of body muscle tone most of us want, with walking alone. It will simply get too easy and wont continue to benefit you in the same ways.

You can progress your walking into running when you're ready by adding intervals of jogging, gradually expanding them etc, just as when you can jog long distances, you build in periods of real running.

There are so many body weight exercises that will benefit you too - pushups, dips on a chair, planks, squats, lunges - try lunge walking around even your backyard and see how much THAT hurts, lol.

You can build circuits by say, doing 20 squat jumps and running a short course (or using a skipping rope for 2 minutes), do 3 sets of that, then change to push ups and skipping, then change to say sit ups and skipping, use playground equipment to attempt things like pullups as you get stronger, the ONLY limit is your imagination.

personally, I made myself a sandbag out of a bag of garden mulch and I love hoiking that around rather than using weights. Twenty squats with a 15kg bag will get your heart rate up pretty well!

I find this sort of thing easy to make up because I have a fair degree of anatomical knowledge and knoweldge about health and fitness, but you can research it and find all sorts of free programs and demos on the web and especially youtube. The only limit is your imagination.

But do take it slowly, obviously I'm using things I like to do as examples and I'm pretty fit and no longer carrying excess weight. But you definitely dont need a gym to get really fit.

At the moment, if you committed yourself to say 2 circuits a week where you mentally prepare yourself to work REALLY hard - feeling a bit ill and man am I going to be sore tomorrow type of hard - and then walk the other days at a more pleasant intensity, that would be a fantastic start for you. The duration of walking is great for fat burning, but you will really rocket your results if you can push yourself for two really intense sessions every week.

With driving to the gym such a bit committment, dont feel pressured to have to do it. But if you can visit twice a week for a short period to do a circuit class or a personal training session or similar, explaining what you want to achieve, you will pick up knowledge about how to do these types of exercises so that you can design your own program at home.

Edited by Jachut