Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did it take?

How long did it take from the time you did your seminar to the time you were given your surgery date? What happens between then? I have my seminar this saturday. My Dr referred me last week and my insurance has already approved me but I was curious what will go on from after the seminar. Thank you for your replies.

I can't tell you how many times I asked this question. Honestly, I just wanted to GET THERE already!!! Every office is different, as well as surgeon/insurance requirements for the surgery to be covered.

I attended my seminar on 7/2, had my first appointment with the surgeon on 7/10 (got WAY lucky, as he had a cancellation), insurance approved me on 9/24 and I got banded on 10/21. My surgeon was actually booking end of November/beginning of December, but they canceled someone's surgery for not losing the weight they were required to, so I was blessed to get in a month earlier. The thing that stunk is that they will not schedule that surgery until you have insurance approval.

When you say your insurance approved you prior to the seminar, is that an approval letter or a pre-authorization that they will cover it pending a waiting period? I know for mine, I had to do a barium swallow/pulmonology clearance, EKG, sleep apnea test, psych clearance, and complete a 3-month supervised support/nutrition program (along with losing 10 lbs) before they would even submit everything to insurance for approval (and from what they told me, my insurance is the easiest to get approval for this procedure).

If you go self-pay, that is a whole other issue, as I think most of the red tape isn't as bad and you're able to get in a little sooner.

I hope this helps! Lots of luck to you!!

How long did it take from the time you did your seminar to the time you were given your surgery date? What happens between then? I have my seminar this saturday. My Dr referred me last week and my insurance has already approved me but I was curious what will go on from after the seminar. Thank you for your replies.

My seminar and first doc visit was on 9/29. My preadmission workup and nutrition counseling was on 10/15. I had my psych eval somewhere in between the two. My surgery was 11/3.

I'm told this is unusually fast though.

I too went through the process fairly quick.

I have BCBS PPO.

Went to the seminar in September, submitted info to insurance and had my pick of dates in October (selected 10/29 because of committments).

I went to my seminar on 7/1, first Dr appt on 7/21, three months of supervised diet, and was approved through my insurance on 10/1. Had my surgery on 10/19.

Every surgeons office is different, and I hope your processing goes well!

Best wishes!

I had to go through the 6 month process before my insurance would approve me. I've never done a seminar since my mom has lapband, I know a lot about it, 3 of my friends have it and my boyfriend has it. I don't need to go sit in a class all day to learn stuff I already know. Needless to say, it's been 10 months, and I'm still not banded! It's just one thing after another!

Wow,thank you everyone. I have a pre auth from medicare. I am disabled due to a broken back. I have been overweight all my life and have looked into this surgery for over a year. I wanted to do it and then would say nah I can lose the weight. Just kept going back and forth now I finally scheduled the seminar and go saturday. I know it may be awhile before I have surgery but I have no idea what I will be going through. Thanks for all the replies.

I had to go 6 months before my insurance would approve my surgery. After my seminar I went to my first consultation with the doctor about 2 weeks after and received a tentative surgery date. After I finished all my pre-surgery requirements my surgery date was moved up a week to 10/23/09.

Wow !

I went to my consultation on Oct 28 and my date is November 9 so less then 10 days. I'm a self pay so maybe that sped it up. I know it is quick but I have been thinking about it since April.

No pre op diet so I have been doing my "food" bucket list this past week :-)

Wow !

I went to my consultation on Oct 28 and my date is November 9 so less then 10 days. I'm a self pay so maybe that sped it up. I know it is quick but I have been thinking about it since April.

No pre op diet so I have been doing my "food" bucket list this past week :-)

I am a self pay also. My seminar is Tuesday (YAY!!!), so it shouldn't be too long until my surgery? A friend of the family had the band done by the doctor I'm going to. She went to the seminar and 3 weeks later had her surgery. She set her surgery date up at the seminar. Has anyone else done that?