Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My band has slipped.. opinions on what to do?

Hey guys Im new on here.. My names Hali im from tx. One of the nurses from the hospital that I go to suggested this site. I was banded in Dec of 07 and I have lost about 50 lbs. I have had a lot of problems with throwing up so the doc thought my band was too full and my stomach was probably swollen so he kept taking stuff out and putting it back in. I played that game for about a year until everything came out of my band. Now we have found out that my band has slipped probably from all of the throwing up. I have to have surgery again to either remove it or replace it. They said that this hardly ever happens.. only to about 1 out of 200 patients but I'm scared that it will happen again. They also told me that they have better bands now that they believe I will do better with. If I do not get another band then there is a big possibility that I will gain my weight back pretty fast.. What do you guys think? I'm not sure what to do..Either way I have to have surgery pretty soon :drool:

Hi, Halimc I have a friend whose band has slipped also, she just was informed about 4 months ago. Her dr took all the Fluid out and told her to come back in about 6 to 8 weeks to see if it fixed itself. Unforuntaley she hasn't went back because she doesn't have insurance. She had the same symptons you have had, vomiting alot. I googled some time ago what happens when your band slips, and it did say that sometimes it fixs itself with removing all the fluid but most of the time you have to have surgery. I think you should go ahead and have it fixed or replaced at least that's what I would do in your situation. I was banded on 04/15/09 and so far so good. I hope everything works out for you keep us updated..

My dr didnt say anything about it fixing itself.. but after reading a couple of threads I am seeing that it is possible. I am just afraid if I get a new band that it will happen again you know? After having this bad experience I dont want to go through it again..

I was rebanded last Thursday due to a slip. We think the slip occured in January when I got really sick and thru up big time. I didn't have the usual symptons that people get when their band slips, just burping more than normal. I am a couple pounds past goal (orginal surgery was Aug. 2007). I am very thankful that I could be rebanded. Am looking forward to plastic surgery on tummy in Jan. The surgeon said the rebanding shouldn't interfere with the plastic surgery. I will say this, when you get rebanded you start like you've never been banded. I am on liquids for 3 weeks (usually two weeks is norm) but they want to be extra careful with me. Things happen sometimes and you just got to do what is best for you. In this case the rebanding was the best thing for me.

You should research and consider the sleeve procedure instead of the band. It works on the same principle as the band, but it's permanent.

Thanks for the tips you guys. Good luck with the new band. Let me know how everything goes. I guess it is better to start over then to just get it taken out because if I just give up then everything I have done will just go to waste. I think im leaning toward getting a new band.

Hi,

Someone in my lap band support group just got rebanded yesterday. She told me that she really thought she could make it work without her band, but she started gaining weight and decided she needed another one. I think she feels relieved because she has that tool to help her.

Good luck, and let us know what you finally decide.

Debbie

Hi Halimac,

I just had a revision on 11/5/09. My stomach moved up and thru the band. I had a VG band (which is not even used anymore), and now have a LAP-BAND® APL. I was thinking of switching to the sleeve, but my surgeon didn't have alot of experience with it and I wasn't comfortable about the finality of it. Especially since I had a problem with my LAP-BAND® - at least I had the option to totally remove it if I needed to. With the gastric sleeve, they take away 75% of your stomach and it's not reversable. (However, it does have benefits over gastric bypass because the food you do eat is digested, and the Vitamins are absorbed)

Take your time, and do your research. Only you can decide what is right for you. I do remember praying that he was going to be able to put in another LAP-BAND®.. my doc didn't know until he went in the day of surgery if it was going to be just a removal, or a replacement.

I just know that I probably would regain my weight back if I didn't have some sort of help. If my band fails again, then I may opt for the sleeve.

Good luck!

Brenda

Thanks you guys for all of the replies.

I do believe that if I had the band removed I would gain weight. I have gained a little just from the doc removing all of the Fluid from the band. Even though my band has slipped it still makes it a little bit easier for me to eat with everything out. Im not sure that the sleeve would be the right choice for me being only 21. That makes me kind of nervous. I liked the band when it worked properly and my doctor says they have came out with a new band that is better. My band right now holds 10ccs and he wants to put in a band that holds 14ccs. He says it would be more comfortable for me. Do yall have different band sizes?

Does anyone really know what causes the band 2 slip. And r there signs 2 look for so if u havent had any sickness or throwing up should i consider this a blessing.

Hali, I see you are in San Marcos. I graduated from college there, and my son is going to school there now as well. (Also age 21) It's a great place!!! Lucky you....

As for the band, I have heard that if the band hasn't slipped a lot, it can fix itself with the Fluid out and a liquid or mushy diet for a few weeks. Try that, but if it doesn't work, do all you can to make it right. You worked so hard for a couple years now to get your life the way you want it, don't give up. If the doctor is willing to give you a new one, if necessary, do it. They DO have better bands now. Mine is 10 cc but it has little pillows of padding on the inside of the band and is very comfortable. The older ones kind of cut into the stomach tissue. Ultimately it's your decision, but don't give up hope.

Ms. Gucci- My band slipped because it was too tight and a lot of times when I ate my food wouldn't go down. So after throwing up many times it shifted out of place. My doctor told me it doesnt happen to many patients.

Aubrie- I do love it here. It is such a fun place to be! What is his major? I think I am leaning more towards getting a new band. I don't want to go back to how life was before and I would like to continue losing weight.

Hali,

My son is a History/Anthropology major. He wants to be a museum curator. Like at the Smithsonian...... A little different I guess.......

I loved going to school there. It's changed so much since my "era", but it's still a really nice place. When I visited my son I couldn't beleive that places like Cheatum Street, Palmers, Grins, Gils Broiler, etc. were still there!!! Ah a Manske roll and a grins burger. Now you know why I put on so much weight!!! LOL

Ohh yesss sooo many good places. Its hard to have a lapband as a college student. Im not gonna lie lol I have a friend who works at Palmers. I love their $2 appetizers. I wish they would stop building stuff here though.. Its so crowded! We just got our third sonic lol

So I have officially decided to go through with the lap-band replacement. My insurance has approved to pay for it. My insurance did not pay for my first lap band sooo I'm pretty happy about this. My surgery is scheduled for Dec 15. Im not too excited about being on liquids and what not again but I am happy about getting a fresh start. I hope everything goes right this time.