Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

do u have a sudden urge....

A make over can involve color or highlights, new cosmetics, new clothes to go with your new attitude.

If you have long hair and it looks good and you don't want to cut it short, who says you have to?

the over 50 thing is silly to me. Who made up that rule?

Lots of cookie cutter women with the "graduated wedge/bob thing". At any given event at my son's school at least 10 women have some version of that haircut. I should know I had it at one time too. Looked nice, but what a pain in the tush to keep up with. Just because it is popular, doesn't mean it works for everyone or is everyone's taste.

Live and let live, I say. I think short hair can be sexy and that touseled long bedroom hair is to die for.

Halle berry looks better with short hair and Christie Brinkley and Jane Seymour (over 50) both look amazing with their longer hair.

I'm certainly not a movie star, but my hubby loves my hair longer. I'm in my late 40's and it is to my middle back. I have been blessed with thick, wavy hair and why should I cut it because someone said as I am getting closer to a certain age I should?

Guess what is the best about your thread? We're all losing wt and feeling good and want to shed the old fatter image. I say go for it! New haircut, just a trim, new color, new clothes...any and all can make us feel terrific and in the end, isn't that what we should want not only for ourselves but for other woman as well?

Strut your shorter perky do, flip your long hair, enjoy your classic bob.......and enjoy every second of this experience. I wish all of us a successful journey !

Sam, well said. I like your attitude.

My experience has been that folks pretty much like to see you the way you are when they meet you. Meaning if your hair was long when you met DH or whoever, and you cut it short, he'll probably prefer it long. If it was short and you grow it out, he will likely prefer it short.

Hi Sam,

Don't think that it is a rule about long hair after 50, it is just that I have seen several(ages 60+) women around where I live (including my aunt!) Who have dyed their long grey hair coal black (with some cheap hair dye) and have absolutely no highlights. That coupled with their deep facial wrinkles does not look good!

So, if you are going to get a really good professional hair color...go for it!! If you have the money to really go all out on your makeover, why stop at a Tummy Tuck? If you want a face lift ....go for it!!

I am saving my money for a tummy tuck a couple of years after I reach my goal weight! Wish I could have a whole body lift, but will have to rely on my wardrobe to cover up other saggy parts!! I am really looking forward to having that new wardrobe!!!!! and maybe some new glasses also.... and of course SHOES!!

Do whatever makes you happy and have fun doing it!:drool:

Even though it has only been a few weeks since I have been banded and I have only lost 20 lbs, I felt ready for a change. I had my hairdresser turn my blond hair back to dark brown and put in caramel highlights. I also changed my hairdo the inverted bob for a different haircut. I have got a lot of compliments on my "change". I just cant wait to lose this remaining weight!

I am a hairstylist and have been for many years. I love this discussion. I believe the key is to do what makes you comfortable. What ever that is will be the most attractive thing you can possibly do. Have you ever seen someone with wild hair and actually thought it looked cute on them? You know you can't do it but for some reason you think they look cute? It is because they are comfortable in it. I wear a fairly wild cut and color, and people always like it, I can not be comfortable in long hair even though I have tried it a few times. The word conservative does not in any way describe me. I never try to talk people out of their long hair though because I know they are comfortable and that is the most important thing. I think every one is pretty so go for it!! I have found that my taste in clothes has already changed after only 20 lbs. I don't like hardly anything in my closet anymore. I have taken tons of it to the thrift store already so time will tell!!!

Have fun with all of your makeovers!!!

Hi Sam,

Don't think that it is a rule about long hair after 50, it is just that I have seen several(ages 60+) women around where I live (including my aunt!) Who have dyed their long grey hair coal black (with some cheap hair dye) and have absolutely no highlights. That coupled with their deep facial wrinkles does not look good!

So, if you are going to get a really good professional hair color...go for it!! If you have the money to really go all out on your makeover, why stop at a Tummy Tuck? If you want a face lift ....go for it!!

I am saving my money for a tummy tuck a couple of years after I reach my goal weight! Wish I could have a whole body lift, but will have to rely on my wardrobe to cover up other saggy parts!! I am really looking forward to having that new wardrobe!!!!! and maybe some new glasses also.... and of course SHOES!!

Do whatever makes you happy and have fun doing it!:thumbup:

Dear Diana,

I do understand your comment with the jet black laquer color, and would add that the other extreme of over bleached blonde straw consistency hair is rather fake looking as well. Of course if we wanted to keep this going, I would add the certain shades of red that make Bozo the Clowns color look tame. lol

Then again, maybe my medium brown color would be boring to the above mentioned ladies. Whose to say?

That's why Miss Clairol comes in many shades. lol

On a personal note, I think I am just hyper sensitive to anything I perceive as criticism. I think women in general need to be nicer to each other. Afterall. with all the crap we handle on a daily basis, home, work, family, etc., we need all the support we can get.

(getting off my soapbox) and reaching for my cup of tea..lol

Now, girlfriend...let's talk SHOES! (smile)

Oh Beth, what a great idea to go to a wig shop and try on styles first! I'm 55 and when I was about to turn 50, I went for a hairstyle consultation. My hair was very short, graying, and had been permed forever. I hated it. I followed their suggestions and stopped the perms, lightened the color, and am growing out the hair. It's not long by any means, but it's definitely more flattering for me at my current size.

As I move my way down the scale, I definitely want to reconsider the hairstyle, just as others are doing. It can make a huge difference and if I don't like it, well, hair grows back :thumbup:

You are your own "Barbie Doll."

Maybe in the past you didn't feel comfortable showing off, changing hair styles, or drawing attention to yourself. You said you kept your hair long partially to hide the back fat. You don't have to do that anymore. You can decide to do whatever you want to do, and not worry about the attention. Such a great feeling!

David