Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thoughts, questions, wondering why the scale isn't moving...

**Warning: novel-length post ahead**

I'm a little over six weeks out from surgery, and finally eating regular foods, just in much smaller amounts than I used to. I need help in getting my mind wrapped around a few things.

In the two weeks after surgery, I lost 17 pounds. The next week, maybe 1 more. In the last three weeks, I have lost and gained the same 2 pounds over and over. A bunch of people at work know I had the surgery, and keep calling me "Miss Skinny" and asking how much weight I've lost. I've told these people not to expect miracles, and that healthy weight loss would be 1-2 pounds a week, but I haven't even achieved that yet. Now I just tell them I haven't weighed myself in a while. I'm so embarrassed that my body is now under their microscope, and I have nothing to show for it. Besides that, in actuality, I weigh myself every day, and it's frustrating to Celebrate a pound lost only to have it back in a few days.

My surgeon told me at the followup that he put 4cc in my band during surgery. Because of that, he won't do a fill until at least three months after surgery. Holy crap, that means I have to wait until January! I don't think the 4cc is enough. True, I am eating WAY less than I used to, but I still eat more than I am supposed to, and can eat any food that seems to be a problem for other people (bread/pasta, nuts, tough meat). I am just concentrating on getting in the basic necessities (plenty of Protein and water), and keeping smaller portions while still walking away from the table satisfied, but not stuffed. Some of my larger meals have probably been around 1.5 cups (meat, veggies, and starch combined), instead of the 1/2 cup I should be having. I know I could eat even more at a time, but I stop myself out of fear that I might stretch my pouch or something. Luckily, I have never had nausea or pain after eating.

The strange thing is that I don't stay hungry all the time like I expected. I eat my meal, and it keeps me satisfied for 3-4 hours. If I needed a fill, wouldn't I get hungry sooner? That's the part that is confusing me.

Since my next fill is so far away, I've been counting Weight Watchers points for what I eat. In all, I eat anywhere from 18-24 points a day. If we say a point is around 50 calories, that means I have between 900 and 1200 calories a day, which is basically on target. Considering I lost 50 pounds in the past doing 28-32 points a day, something is wrong here if I'm not losing weight. I even bought Wii Fit and have been exercising with it.

This is not the result I expected! Dieting and exercising and getting no results is just pissing me off, and that Halloween candy is starting to look better and better every day. This is what caused me to gain a bunch of weight the last time; I hit a plateau, said f--- it, and went back to my old habits. But I can't give up now - it took me too long to get this darn band. Is this still considered the "healing phase"? Should I not be worried yet? What else can I do?

Thecooley,

My advise, continue. Be patient. As hard as it is, patience works. From your post I see that you have lost 18 pounds since your surgery 6 weeks ago. That is 3 lbs per week. Not numbers to be dismissed. You are still healing and this is what others refer to as bandster hell.

I am one of the "slow losers". I lost at a rate of 1.3 lbs per week. Frustrating at times sure but much better than where I was.

I would switch up your eating...1500 calories on day...900 the next. Switch up exercise...walk/run intervals. Also, I would call your Dr. back and ask to come in for a fill earlier. All Drs. are different (mine let me come in often in the beginning for fills) but maybe there is room for discussion.

Finally, try so hard not to listen to anyone. Everyone has an opinion. Yours is really the only one that counts. (I am trying to take my own advise as I write this!)

You are doing great.

Tracy

I'm not banded yet, but I know back when I was trying to lose weight, I'd only weigh myself once a week. Doing it daily can really get us down, because we may retain Water one day or have eaten something heavy the next (even though not calorie laden), making our weight fluctuate daily. Shoot, even not having a BM can making us go up a pound.

Perhaps you should try that so you're not beating yourself up so much.

Please don't get discouraged. We all lose at different rates, and it seemed like I stayed the same forever the weeks following my surgery. I could tell by my clothes that I was getting smaller, but the darn scale wouldn't move. Every day when I sat down in my rocking chair at work to read to my class, it felt a little bigger. The scale? Didn't move.... Then, it went down three pounds, then back up one, then down two more. It seems my body was really fighting giving up that weight. As large as I was, it didn't want me to lose an ounce.

The only thing I am doing differently than before is that I do not eat most of the things I used to eat. I have not had candy or small treats because I thought it would cause me problems with sticking too the eating plan I was given. I have not eaten nuts, bread, or high carb foods even though I love them. Although my doctor wants me to have no carbs, not even lowfat yogurt or veggies, I do allow myself a few carbs each day. I feel so sick if I stay on meat and cheese only. My goal is to lose weight, not be miserable all the time. I can't wait for the day that I can have salads and more veggies. I was supposed to go to my nutritionist Thursday, and had taken the day off from work only to have them call at 7:45 and cancel the appointment. Bummer, huh? I hope when I see her later this week I can add more veggies and maybe nuts back into my diet.

Good luck, and hang in there!:Yawn:

Hi, try to eat or drink more Protein to help with the hunger feeling...I was told by my nutrionist that if I need to eat some protein every 3-4 hours, its okay. Of course, as long as its like 2-3 oz. of protein, that might help too. I wasn't getting enough protein for my body to stay satisfied. As I posted in another repsonse, my surgeon believes in slow fills, so I've had to try to compensate satisfying my hunger and not be so frusterated with the scale not moving as quickly also. I try to wrap my head around the fact that I eat like 1 cup of food 3 or 4 times a day and the weight isn't flying off too. If you try to look at the fact that at least you've made a big step to get rid of the weight for good and that it will take time for it to be a healthy weight loss that probably won't come back....it makes you smile a little bit.. Keep up the good work