Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LapBand Warranty???

Hello everyone.

I was hoping someone could help me figure out if there is some sort of warranty (for lack of a better term) on the LapBand, and any surgery required to fix any complications should they arise?

More specifically, are subsequent surgeries for removal of the band, replacement of a defective band, adjustment of a slipped or erroded band, fixing a flipped port etc etc...included in the orginal price of having the surgery, and if so for how long? 2yrs? 5yrs? Longer? Has anyone gotten this in writing before their surgery?

I'm guessing they cover you for a year or two at least (I hope) but anyone know if it can be longer than that? Does it depend on what clinic you go to? Has anyone heard of an option to buy extended warranty? (It sounds like i'm shopping for a car, but you know what I mean) :thumbup:

In particular, I would like to hear from those of you who have been banded or are planning to be banded at either SWLC, CIBO, TLBC (now called SlimBand), or SpaDiva with Dr, Miller (as I am likely to have it done at one of those clinics).

The reason I ask is that the surgery is not cheap as most of you know, and despite the fact that most complications are rare, they do happen (and I dont just mean during surgery or within a year of the surgery, but also 5-10yrs down the road when a band can erode or slip or break etc etc...). So I guess I was just wondering up to what point does the initial cost of the surgery cover all those things? It would be difficult to pay 16-18K for the surgery only to have to spend the same amount again in 3 to 5yrs should something go wrong etc.

Sorry for all the questions. I searched the forum for this topic but I havent seen any posts on this issue in particular.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by cando29

I'd suggest you ask your doctor's office about this. Never heard of an extended warranty on a band either.

The one thing I do know specifically is that my doctor stitches (by means of a stomach fold over the band as I understood it) so that it can't slip. Does your doc do anything similar?

I was self pay (not at one of the clinics you mentioned), and we had the option to buy an extended warranty, and it was pretty expensive. It's been over a year, but I think the initial warranty that the surgeon provided for us was very short. I'm pretty sure it was six months, but it might have been a year. That's definitely something you should check with your doctor's office.

I know Dr. Miller at SpaDiva in Montreal does stitch the band to the stomach, but despite that there could still be other issues with the band down the road.

I have asked some of the clinics this warranty question and for some reason I dont seem to get a very clear answer (perhaps because I have not yet comitted and I am not yet a patient of theirs so to speak?).

Some clinics said there is no limit and they will fix anything at any time free of charge, but I find that hard to beleive, and there certainly arent any policies or anything in writing posted on their websites so I thought I would ask those of you who have been through it at any one of those 4 clinics I mentioned above. Did any of you sign a contract or get anything in writing? Just curious.

I guess it would also be nice to compare the 4 clinics on this point. It might help make up my mind on which one to go with (after considering the surgeon ofcourse, and making sure I am confortable with the clinic etc..obviously its not all just about the warranty when making a choice but it does factor in).

Edited by cando29

I slipped and I'm having it reparied tomorrow. It's been 27 months since orginal surgery. My insurance company is paying for the surgery tomorrow. My band was stiched to my stomach but sometimes things just happen. Wasn't my fault wasn't the bands fault.....

dfav, I take it you were just outiside the 2yr mark and the clinic would not cover the repair? If you dont mind me asking, which clinic did you have your surgery at?

Also, my insurance (SunLife, Federal Gov policy) would not cover the surgery for the band, but I never did ask them if they would cover any surgeries after the fact for repairs or removal etc. Hmm, I wonder if they would. Did your insurance company cover the initial surgery by any chance, and if not, how come they agreed to cover the repair?

Good luck to you by the way, I hope all goes well! :thumbup:

Cando,

I believe all those that replied to you were banded outside of Canada given their replies. Things are done very differently outside of Canada then they are here. You really have to be careful as to how you word things perhaps. I think you should be asking the clinics that you are interested in going to, what their post op follow up includes instead of calling it a warranty.

I was banded at SWLC 4 years ago and I have unlimited lifetime access to post op support and follow up. I had to have my band replaced earlier this year and everything was covered. I don't live in the GTA so I get my fills locally from a fill nurse that the SWLC has trained to do their patients. Yes I pay her but then I don't have to travel to the clinic so I save 2 days of travel, loss wages, all traveling expenses so it's worth it to me.

I know of all 4 of the clinics you are interested in going to. Don't let the price alone sway you one way or the other. Make sure you know exactly what you are getting for your money. I am super happy with the care I have been given at SWLC and continue to get from them. I can't speak for the other 3 since I didn't go there but just make sure you really do your homework before deciding.

Many of the clinics offer free consultations so you could do that. I know that SWLC will do telephone consults for those that live out of town and your consultation is with one of the surgeons so you get to ask all your questions directly to the person who is performing the surgery.

Good luck with your decision to choose the best clinic to suit your needs.

Cando,

I believe all those that replied to you were banded outside of Canada given their replies. Things are done very differently outside of Canada then they are here.

You're right, at least for me. I didn't notice this was asked in the Canada forum until now. :thumbdown: I try to pay attention to which forum a question is asked in before I post a reply, and this one totally slipped by me. Sorry about that.

As far as I know the only band clinic in Canada offering lifetime aftercare is my clinic which is The Surgical Weight Loss Centre in Mississauga. This includes any complications or need for replacement and lifetime fills at their clinic in Mississauga. Just one of the reasons I feel our clinic is tops.

I was just banded at CIBO a few days ago. If something goes wrong with your band, such as a leak or port problem, they will replace it free of charge as that is a product defect. I'm a little less clear on slippage and erosion, but I believe it's covered too. And yes, considering I had this done recently, I really should be better at knowing these answers. They told me what was covered and what wasn't, but I didn't get it in writing, which is too bad. I would think that if you've stretched out your pouch due to constant overeating, then they really shouldn't be on the hook for fixing it. Things that were not of your making though, such as a flipped port or band slippage as just one of those things that happens, I would completely expect them to fix without any additional fee.

You also get unlimited band adjustments for life, fills and unfills if necessary. One year worth of nutritional & psychological counselling, and physiotherapy. According to Nisrine at CIBO, they're a little flexible with the one year thing so that if it takes you a little longer, so be it.

Signing up at CIBO, you'll have to plunk down $1800 before the operation to cover the pre-op testing and whatnot, but if they decide you're not a lapband candidate, you get it back in full. You can put the deposit on your credit card. You have to pay 100% by two weeks before the surgery by cashier cheque or money order. There was no extended warranty option.

I have nothing to say but good things about the surgical team at CIBO. The support staff I'm still reserving judgement as I haven't had enough interaction with them yet to really give a verdict.

I received my Fr. Midband from TLBC and I was told the band company gives a warrantee of ten years. I was given the necessary form upon discharge. I mailed the registration to the company and received an e mail back confirming receipt. At the time I received my band, I was told I had lifetime aftercare with the clinic. There was no written contract given at the time, but Dr. Yau has fulfilled the promise of lifetime support by fixing my port at no charge. I have never bothered to find out if that support includes fills as I am too far from Toronto and must pay for my own fills. If I had to do this over again, I would ask for a written contract. Circumstances change over a long period of time and if nothing is in writing there is no way to prove what was said at the date of banding and must rely on the word of TLBC. So far so good.

Doddie, my thoughts exactly. Some clinics say they will cover any problems with the band, but I cant seem to find anyone who actually got this in wiriting or as part of some sort of contract etc. I'm sure clinics will keep their word but like you said, circumstances change over the years and the Lap-Band would be a lifetime committment for most people hopefully,..... so that really is a long time.

On the other hand, those clinics that only have 2 or 3yr limits on their coverage also dont seem to provide anything concrete in writing to that effect, which you think they would.

I guess I was just hoping to get to the bottom of this issue from people who have been banded. I have also contacted some of the clinics mentioned but have yet to hear back.

Thanks to everyone who responded :thumbup:

Edited by cando29