Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

risks of anethesia?

What are the real risks of anethesia for a surgery like this? I know that it is actually a very short procedure, around 30 minutes or so? I have this irrational fear of having anethesia and not waking up from it. I also know that it is a rather common fear for people going into surgery. Being cut open, foreign object in my body, recovery.....those dont really worry me. I worry about the damn anethesia, lol! Does anyone actually have any info or statistics on the safety of being under anethesia for a surgery like this?

I don't mean to scare you at all - but someone posted on here a few weeks ago about their dear friend who just went to get the lapband - and died from a heart attack while undergoing anesteisa - again - just wanted to be honest with what I know - I will try to find the link - it was very sad.

ok nevermind - I never went back and read the entire thread - as you can see I was the first one to post condolences and never checked back - apparetntly the entire thing was bullshit and someone has a vendetta against MX dr's. NO worries - disregard - I just went and read through the entire posts - feel free to do so - its all bullshit - no one died - sorry for my mistake as again I never read through the rest of the posts as I was the first one to post. go take a look if you want to feel better - it was someone playing a horrible prank.

Anesthesia CAN cause death in patients with weak hearts - but that is why you have to get and ekg and all that other pre-op testing. The docs have to certify that you are medically fit for the surgery.

Really - If your tests are all good, then you are good to go.

:]

If anaesthesia is really going to be a risk to you due to the condition you're in, you'll find you probably wouldnt be able to undergo surgery unless it was for an immediately life threatening condition. Anaesthesia today is really very safe and people dont just spontaneously die on the operating table.

Usually when they do its a long complicated surgery and is putting their bodies under incredible stress.

Even with gastric bypass as well as with the lapband, deaths that occur are more often a result of some complication of the operation, such as internal damage and bleeding, not from spontaenous death on the operating table for no particular reason.

Truly, the risk of being obese outweighs the risk of the anaesthetic.

Thanks for the reassurance. I did some checking myself and found that in barriatric surgery the risk of "serious complications OR death" is 1 in 250,000 (mind you, that is including complications such as aspiration or blood pressure spikes). Also the complications are the usually the result of some other underlying condition, not the anesthesia itself. There were no statistics I could find on lapband specifically, and I am sure that the duration of gastric bypass is where the above statistics come from. I actually feel much better now.

As for the hoax thread you were talking about CandySmooch, I didnt even check it out. I dont want unfounded fears. Why would someone even get a kick out of posting something like that? Thanks for telling me it wasnt true before I read it!

Anesthesia today has got to be very safe today, as opposed to years ago. I know that I had the surgery after I had a heart attack, quadruple by pass surgery, diabetes and heavy smoker for over thirty years. Talk about your high risk patients, kinda hard to beat my track record, and I swear I breezed through the whole thing. Was home in less than 24 hours, no pain meds were ever needed, no complications whatsoever. And to beat a dead horse into the ground, everyone is different, but I really believe this to be a very safe surgery. IMHO It's good that you're asking questions though, especially on a board that will get you a lot of responses. The more info you have the better off you will be. I think that's true for anyone considering elective surgery. I wish you the best of luck in both your research and your surgery, should you choose to have it done.

Cindy

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches