Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2-4 TBS are they NUTS

well I am 3 weeks post op and eating more than the 2-4 TBS. per meal . Im eating a cup of mushys per meal and still want more.I have been losing a pond a day but I am wondering can I hurt my band doing this? I called the nutritionist and she only advised I should be eating 2-4 TBS per meal GRRRR she sound like a broken record.I just wanted to know if Im doing damage. She never answered that question. Im starving now but I am going to start eating less food. I feel like maybe he forgot to put the darn band on LOL.

It's perfectly normal to start feeling a little more hungry now that you're advancing to different food stages. From what I understand, as long as you don't eat to the point of vomiting, you're band will be fine. I've had the same concerns considering I haven't had any fills yet (I'm 3 months out from when I was banded) and am able to eat close to how much I was eating before I was banded. Maybe try and call your doctor and see what he/she suggests? Until you're able to talk to your doctor, I would stick to eating no more than what you've been eating and just continue to monitor what you're eating and how you're able to handle it. Stick with it!

Starving is a horrible feeling! I'm sorry you are so hungry and are told to limit your food intake so much. My doc wanted me to progress with my food as I felt comfortable, if I was starving and felt like I could eat more, he said to eat more but obviously do not over-do it. I found that about a week after surgery I was able to eat a pretty decent amount of food, way more than a cup or so. I would wake up in the middle of the night just starving and frantic to get something in my tummy.

Perhaps they are stressing such little food to allow you to heal properly. I was told not to worry about losing weight the first six weeks(which I only lost a few pounds) and to just take care of myself and heal. I am now two months out and just last week got my 3rd fill and FINALLY have some restriction.

Every case is so different and well as each doc.. it's just too bad that you are so hungry and are told not to eat anymore than a few Tablespoons.. ugh. How soon do you progress to the next food stage? And how long are you limited to such little food?

at 6 weeks I can start eating soft foods and then about half cup. Thats 3 weeks away.in 8 weeks I can start introducing food to my diet and can eat about a cup of food. I cant wait for some restriction. I want to follow the rules but 2-4 TBS is crazy.. Thanks all for the info

You will find that these first 6 weeks will be the hardest for you.. they are for just about everybody. Once the swelling goes down you are probably able to eat more. After a few weeks I was able to eat a pretty decent amount of food.

Just try to follow your docs orders as best you can, but try not to feel guilty if you slip here and there. If it gets too bad, just talk to your doc and tell him you simply need more food. I hope everything goes well for you!

Wow! My doctor said when I start mushies I can eat the smallest amount necessary to feel satisfied but no more than 3/4 cup. His nurses - many of who have had the band - said 1/2 to 1/3 cup.

It's amazing how different it is for each doctor. My nutritionist guidelines said 1/2 cup to 1 cup max per meal, but at the same time said 800-1200 calories a day. I eat no more than 1 cup per meal, but rarely eat as little as 1/2 cup. It's working for me.

Youre going thru bandster hell which is the weeks after surgery when the swelling around your stomach goes down and hunger comes back. You havent been filled yet during surgery or a little put in . Once you get a fill, you will not be so hungry and sometimes the fill takes 2 or 3 times before you feel the effects. Its normal. Fornow, its ALL willpower. Something we all lack. Good luck!

well I am 3 weeks post op and eating more than the 2-4 TBS. per meal . Im eating a cup of mushys per meal and still want more.I have been losing a pond a day but I am wondering can I hurt my band doing this? I called the nutritionist and she only advised I should be eating 2-4 TBS per meal GRRRR she sound like a broken record.I just wanted to know if Im doing damage. She never answered that question. Im starving now but I am going to start eating less food. I feel like maybe he forgot to put the darn band on LOL.