Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I CAN'T BURP... and I think it's hindering my success!

Ever since deciding to give my band another shot, I've been wracking my brain, trying to figure out why this isn't working for me.

My dillema:

I do seem to have restriction when eating, but I never feel "full" or "satisfied", just sick. Anywhere from 20 minutes to a few hours later, I'll be hungry again.

Backtracking a bit, I have NEVER, EVER been able to burp. I'm not sure why! As a child, my dad would make me laugh by burping really loud, and no matter how hard I tried and how much he explained how to burp, I could never, ever do it! I can only think of one single time in my life where I had a real burp. I get little airbubbles, but that's it. Usually the gas stays trapped and causes hiccups.. I get hiccups more than any human being should.

I realized- the "sick" feeling I'm getting after eating ISN'T restriction- it's air! This is gross, but the only way I can make myself burp is to stick my finger down my throat (not to the point of vomiting, just enough to burp). After that I feel better and can continue my meal. If I get up during eating and continue to burp myself, I can finish my meal until I feel satisfied & full, and then I remain full for several hours. If I don't do this, I end up "grazing", which I know ISN'T reccommended for lap-banders.

I know I know, this is weird,lol. Has anyone experienced this??? Does anyone know what I can do to aleviate the burping situation???

I know bandster aren't supposed to have coke (although my doc says I can have it 4 weeks out) but a swig of carbonation always makes me burp when I need too! Might be worh a try.

My doc just yelled at me during my last fill because I had gas in my stomach and hadn't eaten or drank anything since the night before. She knew it was drinking carbonated drinks and explained all of the complications from them which I don't think I ever had because my band was not tight enough. She scared the crap out me, and I haven't had a coke all week, unfortunately I have now traded my addiction to caramel mocha frappachinos from Starbuck's.

So to the point, "NO CARBONATION LADY!!" as my doc said. As for the burp, you can't burp because there is food in your pouch and leaves no room for air to come through. If you were to burp while you were eating your food would come up with it. You are supposed to stop eating when you get this feeling, (all of this from my fill doc, whom I have been very close to this week). It does feel different, but I'm told that is just band life...hope this helps.

I get this too! Here is my process for every meal I eat. I take 2 or 3 small bites. I sit for 2 minutes while my food gets cold. A ball of air forms in my pouch. I get up and walk around for 2 minutes until the blessed burps come to release the pressure in my stomach. I return to the table to eat a few more bites of cold food until I feel full.

The burp sensation (for me anyways) is different from feeling full. It occurs no matter what I'm eating, how slowly I eat it, or how well I chew it. I think it may be a sign of a too tight fill, but I'm able to eat a small portion as long as I take my burping break so I'm going with it for now.

I've never burped much either. Instead of sticking your finger down your throat (which I would think would cause gagging) try getting up after a few bites and walking around the house for a few minutes. It always brings my burps eventually. Good luck!

Like Anwyn said, the trapped burp sensation is way different than the restriction. When I need to burp, I get a lot of annoying gurgles (gross) and bubbles. Sometimes if I stop eating for about 5-10 minutes, I'll suddenly hear/feel a bubble going down from my pouch (the gas moving through) and then I'll feel relief. And like I said, if I burp myself (by gagging), I feel relief. There are times where I don't get this, and once my restriction hits, I notice a very different feeling in my stomach, and I feel full and don't want to eat any more, and remain full for hours.

I've tried a lot of different things, and the only thing that works is gagging myself. I've tried taking really tiny bites, twisting, turning walking around, chewing everything super super thouroughly...

Oh well.

Lisa have you ever had an Endoscopy?

I had one and it was determined I had gastritis..and I got great relief from making myself burp also

2 of the symptoms, was " feeling of fullness" and the air sensation you explain.

The most common symptoms are abdominal upset or pain. Other symptoms are belching, abdominal bloating, nausea, and vomiting or a feeling of fullness or of burning in the upper abdomen.

I was told many bandsters have gastritis and do not even know it, since there is no reflux or heartburn. I had zero symptoms until I was unfilled then I had all of the symptoms..I was suprised to know I had gastritis. I only found out from the endo they did during my bowel obstruction surgery.

Not saying you have gastritis, but if this continues to be a problem call your D.r and have an endo, it for nothing else but good measure and band care.

Hmmm - before surgery I could burp really well. Since post banding?? I've maybe had a handful of burps - I just can't do it anymore even when I feel the need. IN place of burping I now get single hiccups periodically throughout the day - I just figure its my body releasing air in my tummy - its so common now - sometimes its a loud one and people tease me about "drinking to early in the day huh?" - I've gotten used to it now.

very interesting..

I do (or did) the same thing for like the first month after my fill..

Before I knew when to stop exactly,,.. I would take a bite too many and get this feeling that could only go away by putting my finger in my throat to releive it..

Sometimes saliva or slime came up or some of the liquid I drank (like a tsp of it)

Its hard to explain.. I HAD to do it.. like you describe.. and its funy too cuz I could never burp as a child either..and rarely did on my own.. its been a known fact in my family,.

now.. i STOP drinking or eating before I get to that feeling.... I learned when that was in about 3 weeks..

I am sorry your so hungry though.. I surely WANTED to eat or drink more, but that feeling SUCKS... lol (I call it 'pain' even though its not)