Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2-3 weeks post op and gained weight

Hello everyone! I had my surgery on sept 1st... My doc moved me to soft foods, and haven't lost any weight... in fact I gained 4 pounds... I feel like I am a failure :blushing:...

well, to start with the first 2 weeks I was so swollen, I couldn't get anything down, not much Water, no Protein shakes at all. Then I started eating nonfat Dannon plain yogurt and the swelling went away 2 days later. Now I'm on soft foods and I feel like I don't have any control. I gained weight!

I eat 3 meals a day, no snacking even though they say to eat 6 mini meals a day during this stage... for instance for Breakfast I would have a light babybel cheese with 4 kashi tlc crackers or have a Protein shake, lunch I have a cup of nonfat cottage cheese, and for dinner I would have 2 pieces of gefilte fish (quick and easy)

yesterday I went to the renaissance faire and had a scoop of muscle milk Cookies and cream with 2 cups of nonfat milk for Breakfast, and for lunch had a bread bowl of brocolli and cheese Soup minus the bread,and a bite of my husbands turkey leg, and for dinner we went to applebees for and i had a whole french onion Soup and about 5 tbs of loaded mashed...i got on the scale and gained 2 extra pounds... yesterday, i had no control and didnt feel full at all...

now, im depressed:frown: and don't know what to do, where to begin... I feel like Im the only one in this situation and I'm not even 3 weeks out... I see other people posting that they are losing weight, i need some motivation and some tips, help!?????

You are making some high calorie choices, but never fear you will catch on. This is a marathon of learning not a sprint. I gained over 12 pounds between banding and first restriction, but after that it was easier to stick to the rules. This healing period is often referred to as "Bandster Hell" and there is a reason for the name. You are not alone. Make sure you are drinking your fluids and exercising and the rest will come.

Best wishes,

Mimi

Funny I was just going to post a thread on this!

I haven't made high calorie choices and have gained around 2-3 lbs overnight from going from liquids to mushies. I was banded on 9/11 and since aug 28th when I was on (Protein only) liquids I lost 21 lbs which I figured was more than I should have even if I am eating 300-600 cals a day.

A few observations - my first mushy was yogurt (greek thick no fat) and right away the gas settled down (which means that more comfort means more room for hunger). But I am feeling much more normal now thank goodness.

I did have 2 scrambled eggs this morning with an oz of cheese done on the griddle - ie very little fat - about a teaspoon.

Once you do get food into the mix its harder to not think about food. The liquid keeps you focused food starts being distracted but hey we need to learn to live with that aspect.

I am going to have flaked lemon sole later.

I was banded in May and also gained 4-5 pounds in the couple weeks following.

Don't sweat it. This isn't about this short term thing - this is a marathon. Let yourself HEAL first. THEN do the work, make the right choices, etc. If you do that, it will come off. While you're just out of surgery, you are limited on what you can eat and how much you can move. This is OK - let yourself heal. In a few months, if you're making bad choices, not moving, and you gain, then you can kick yourself (not the band, yourself). But for now? Go easy on it, maybe even avoid the scale if this sort of thing sets you back...

Thank you everyone for your support, I was very emotional this morning! So today i ate 2 soft boiled eggs with .5 an ounce of light feta... and i had about 8 ounces of baked Bass fish and a cucumber with a tablespoon of sour cream... I am noticing that I am also eating fast, but how do you not when the food is already mushy/soft? Im going to push myself harder into going to the gym...mon, tues, wed and thurs and sun... probably walk on the treadmill for an hour at a high incline each of those days, unless there are other suggestions????

what really helps is if people can post their meal plans so i can get an idea of what i can do...Im not that creative...

Hi all. I was just banded on Sept 4th and so far so good. I can not complain. Do beat yourself up about the gain. Like others have said this is a Marathon no a sprint. My Dr. says it is going to take me 2 years to loose 100 pounds.

The main thing that I am doing to keep myself in check is drinking Water. If you are not try really hard to get in your 64 oz of Water a day. I am not there yet but close. Don't forget to take your Vitamins and Calcium twice a day also. The Viactiv Calcium is a really nice treat to have twice a day with its chocolate taste and Tootsie roll feel. I even find it satisfying for a night snack.

The other thing that my Dr told me is to make sure i stick with the 4 oz or less for each meal so I do not stretch the pouch. Also to make sure that I am picking foods that are less than 60 cal per serving.

Protein is so important. We are suppose to get 70 grams of Protein a day. I am not there yet but trying. Someone on Obestiyhelp.com <another great site> suggested that I get a Isopure powder that has no taste to sprinkle on everything to supplement protein.

Let me leave you with this. You are not alone. We are all here for you. We all know what you are going through being we have been there. If you ever need to talk or anything add me to your friends list. We can do this together.

Thank you everyone for your support, I was very emotional this morning! So today i ate 2 soft boiled eggs with .5 an ounce of light feta... and i had about 8 ounces of baked Bass fish and a cucumber with a tablespoon of sour cream... I am noticing that I am also eating fast, but how do you not when the food is already mushy/soft? Im going to push myself harder into going to the gym...mon, tues, wed and thurs and sun... probably walk on the treadmill for an hour at a high incline each of those days, unless there are other suggestions????

what really helps is if people can post their meal plans so i can get an idea of what i can do...Im not that creative...

You asked for a post of meals. Today this is what i have had.

8:30 Breakfast: 1 egg scrabbled with a little bit of FF milk to make it moist.

12:30 Lunch: My Dr has Protein Soups that i bought at his office. I made it and added pastina to it. I had 1/4 cup for lunch.

4:00 Snack: Sargento reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese stick. 60 cal and 6 grams Protein.< /p>

7:00 Dinner: 1 oz of mashed potato's and 3 oz of Talia. As you probably know i am doing 1 oz in measurements and weights of everything i eat.

I have had also

48 oz of Water today so far.

2 Vitamins

2 Calcium

Diana...Thank you! you are right! i am not drinking enough water!!!!!! and therefore most likely eat too much... bc 8 ounces is quite alot, when it should be no more than 4 oz... well tomorrow is a new day, i will plan out my meals...

probably a Protein shake (scoop of eas with ice , nonfat milk and a teaspoon of Decaf instant coffee) in the morning, lunch-cottage cheese, dinner- can of salmon with teaspoon of mayo

let me know how this sounds????

I am just starting mushies. How much are you all eating? My instructions say 1/2 cup to 1 cup strive for 2-3 meals a day. I am able to do a cup w/o a problem but I am trying to slow down my eating (ie maybe i would be full w/ less).

Today I had the following

B:2 scrambled eggs 1 oz cheese (my highest fat entree)

lunch - 1 cup of fork flaked sole made w/ a pat of butter and lemon

dinner - the rest of that sole 1/2 w/ 1/2 cup potato leek Soup blended (that was good!)

Diana...Thank you! you are right! i am not drinking enough water!!!!!! and therefore most likely eat too much... bc 8 ounces is quite alot, when it should be no more than 4 oz... well tomorrow is a new day, i will plan out my meals...

probably a Protein shake (scoop of eas with ice , nonfat milk and a teaspoon of Decaf instant coffee) in the morning, lunch-cottage cheese, dinner- can of salmon with teaspoon of mayo

let me know how this sounds????

Sounds good. for myself I do Protein shakes. But i tend to do them for a snack if i need one because i find that an hour and a half after i have it i am hungry. but when i do the shakes i do 2 oz for a snack and 4 oz for a Meal Replacement. In my mornings I have 1 large egg scrambled with a little milk to moisten it. I don't cook it dry just fluffy. I measure the cooked egg in a 1/2 cup measuring cup to make sure that i am not going over the 4 oz. That holds me 3 to 4 hours.

Sounds like you have a great day ahead of you tomorrow.