Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My first post op meal

Got banded yesterday, and have just had my first post op meal. 2 tablespoons of white fish liquidised, along with 2 tablespoons of boiled potato liquidised.

I feel like I have just finished a banquet at a chinese restaurant. Even though I took it easy, I feel like I have eaten way too much.

I have no fill yet, and my doctor told me today before I left the hospital that the restriction I may feel will be caused by the swelling, and once this goes down I will feel no restriction at all until I get a fill in 6 weeks.

There is so much to learn with this banding lark. I hope the restriction I feel after I recieve my fills will be the same as I am feeling today.

The hardest part of eating the "meal" was having to remember not to gulp it all down in one go. I believe that slow eating is going to be the hardest thing to change as far as I am concerned.

Thanks for listening, and thanks for all the great posts that have taught me so much.

Edited by john47

I felt some restriction from the swelling until I started on mushies and then for 3 weeks I was hungry all the time. I still manage to lose some weight on mushies. But after I had my first fill only 2cc at 4 weeks post op. I could still eat with no problem but there was no hunger at all and that has been almost six weeks ago and I still have no hunger. I eat 2 or 3 small meals a day. No Protein Shakes because my Dr. wants us to eat protien not drink it so it stays in the stomach. But if you can just get through until you have a fill you will start to feel so different. I go for a second filll next Tuesday and we will see what that will bring. Good luck recovering it will all be worth it.

Congratulations on your successful surgery!

John,

It sounds like you're doing really well! I wish that full filling would last until the first fill. For me, it lasted about 2 weeks. I still have 5 more weeks until my first fill because of my doc's vacation schedule. Aargh.

Ditto..after the 1st couple days I was hungry all the time. I finally just got to where I'm not at about day 10- getting used to being hungry I think.

I went from 1/2c of watery Soup to 1/2-3/4c of stout soup like uber thick homeade split bean and black bean. It worked- they are full of protien and Fiber. I also drank a LOT of tea. I did the flavored herbals like haute chocolate ( a roobios and gingerbread spice. They were warm and great with a bit of milk and sweetener. They made me feel like I was eating a treat. I use agave necter in them too. It's some calories(like honey)but I read that unlike other sugars - you have no insulin response to it which then does not spike your hunger. I also started putting 2T of wheat germ in my more runny Soups and told myself they were pulverized crackers! I also put wheat germ in my yougurt and make sure my yogurt is greek yogurt(thicker and 2x the protien as regular). It does help to fill you up, the fiber and bulk and it's good for you. I saw the nutritionist today for my 2 wk. f/up and she gave me a big thumbs up on continuing that.

I assumed , however, that since I had bariatric vitimens I paid good coin for that they had in them all that I needed-[ WRONG. I am going to have to really watch that too.

It does get easier every day though! I had to go to the store for my groceries for the week...$32.00- how kewl is THAT! And I got all high end organtic foods even! :tt1:

Thanks for all the kind words and advice guys. I have to say, if I never read these boards before my surgery, a lot of what I experienced would have been a big shock.

The advice and support you get here is a really big help.

wow you can eat that soon after? My doctors recommendations are clear liquids//full liquids//pureed and then mushies.... I don't get to eat till probably 6 weeks post op!

I'll find out my date September 30th so looking at an October date for surgery.

So happy your doing well and keep up the good work.

wow you can eat that soon after? My doctors recommendations are clear liquids//full liquids//pureed and then mushies.... I don't get to eat till probably 6 weeks post op!

I'll find out my date September 30th so looking at an October date for surgery.

So happy your doing well and keep up the good work.

Thanks, yes, I have gone straight on to mushies. Just a couple of tablespoons of Protein, carbs and veg liquidised 3 times a day for the first 2 weeks. Then soft food like fish, mash potato etc for 2 weeks then normal food.< /p>

I think the principle is the same as the liquids only diet. Thats to say you dont wont your new stomach to have to do any work for the first couple of weeks and be left to heal.

I imagine what I am eating at the moment just goes straight through the band like a liquid without the stomach having to work.

It is funny how each doctor has different rules, however, its best to stick with your own doctors advice because if things go wrong he/she will want to know why you didn't listen to advice.

Good luck with your surgery in October.