Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 days left and rethinking procedure

My surgery is scheduled for Sept 24 and I'm on my pre op diet. I am having second thoughts about this whole thing. Anybody else feel this way? I am thinking what am I doing to myself and what my life will be like? It keeps me up at night because I'm scared of what I will have to endure and what I am giving up. How is this going to affect me and me trying to have a normal life. Sometimes I think that I could have done something different like a diet because I really only have to lose 65 pounds to lose. I've tried diets for several years and I not successful because I'm a diabetic:confused:. I've been on diets for several years and can't keep it off. This is my reason for going this route. Please help if anyone else feels this way.

It's perfectly normal to get cold feet. My goal was to lose (and keep off) 65-75 pounds. I had second thoughts, too, right up to the day AFTER I was banded. I knew I could lose the weight, but I also knew I couldn't keep it off without help. The band does more than just help you lose the weight. It helps you keep it OFF.

I really haven't given up anything, except the HUGE amount of food I was eating that I didn't need! My life is so much better now. I feel good! I am more active! Also, I am much more sociable than before. I had reached a point where I didn't go ANYWHERE because of my weight.

So far this Summer I have gotten back on the motorcycle with my husband; gone to Mexico on vacation in Mexico (with a younger group of people) and wore a swimsuit without feeling awkward! My self confidence is through the roof! I would not change a thing! If I feel this great now, I can only imagine how good I'll feel when I hit goal!! I feel SO normal now, and I LOVE IT!!!

Don't second guess yourself just because you have "only 65 pounds to lose". You are taking steps to make the rest of your life better! I wish you all the best! :mad2:

Oh boy do I know how you feel! We are in about the same boat weight loss wise and I have 2nd and 3rd thoughts ALL the time. My husband is being banded on the 30th and is a diabetic too. I think because of the diabetes I am more comfortable with his surgery than I am with my own. We are all cost out of pocket as well and that weighs on my mind very often. He needs it but I want it...is that fair? Then I just go back to being scared. The only thing I can say is that I am hoping I will wake up one of these mornings and just know its right (or wrong) for me. Originally I was going to get mine on the 30th too.....I woke up one morning and just knew it was wrong and I needed to be 100% to get my husband through it first. I hope that happens again.

Pretty much everyone feels like that before surgery -- I know that I did! What I did to help me get through it was to make a Pro/Con List, and whenever I was having doubts, I'd read it and the decision would once again be clear to me. I even brought my list to the hospital with me, just in case I got cold feet when I was there. Anyway, you might want to make one.

Honestly, the changes I've had to make with the band have been so minor compared with how great this whole process has been, and how happy I am with the results and with my health, fitness and appearance.

A few other recommendations -- think about writing out a post-op plan for success, and definitely and write down your measurements and take some "before" photos! You are going to want to be able to measure all of your progress (because it feels so good to do that!) and see the difference as you progress.

Hang in there!

Catherine

I'm not sure if it's totally obvious, but I activated the words "Pro/Con List" and "post-op plan for success" so that you can click on them and see mine if you want an example.

Catherine

Catherine55, I loved your pro/con list especially the one about nylon noises and courdoroy pants.

My son's used to call my courdoroy pants "fire starters" because they swore I could rub them together like a boy scout and start a forest fire.

My surgery is in 3 days and yesterday I had to call my sister in FL and tell her to talk me into the surgery. I was ready to drop out since I have lost almost 20 lbs with teh shakes and my boys are not supporting my decision. They say I can lose the weight if I only tried, I am taking the easy way out.

I am looking forward to playing on the ground with my grandson and not feeling winded when I bend to get a toy.

Catherine55, I loved your pro/con list especially the one about nylon noises and courdoroy pants.

My son's used to call my courdoroy pants "fire starters" because they swore I could rub them together like a boy scout and start a forest fire.

My surgery is in 3 days and yesterday I had to call my sister in FL and tell her to talk me into the surgery. I was ready to drop out since I have lost almost 20 lbs with teh shakes and my boys are not supporting my decision. They say I can lose the weight if I only tried, I am taking the easy way out.

I am looking forward to playing on the ground with my grandson and not feeling winded when I bend to get a toy.

HA HA easy way out... I think not. When I explained to someone that told me that all that we have to do to be successful, she, overweight herself was like Damn.... I can't follow that... I said so where is the easy way out??? Oh maybe it is in the if you over eat you will vomit or your band could slip or you may get something stuck...LOL so I guess she got an education.

I think this is tougher,,,, more accountablity not only to the dr but to the band!