Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric bypass or Lap Band???

I am 5' 10 and weigh 309. I was not always this big, I weighed 210 in 2004, and that use to be my biggest ever. Anyway I am thinking of going for the lap band, is the band worth it? I was leaning toward the lap band, but now am thinking more of going with the Gastric Bypass RNY. Now that you all had your bands remove what are your thought on my choice. Should I get the Lap band or go with the RNY?

My insurance on pays for Lap Band or RNY. I have been approve for one or the other I just got to pick one.

does not matter if you respond, I called my Dr and switch my surgery from Lap Band to Gastric bypass.

Hey,

I responded on another post you had, sorry! I'm happy you've come to a decision on your surgery. Since it's a lap band forum most people here are not going to tell you which surgery to get as they assume you'll go for the lap band. I had it and found it to be just as difficult as any other diet I was ever on and ended up gaining weight as opposed to losing, then developed GERD and it was removed 14 months after I was banded. Most people who post here seem to like and do well with their bands. Just remember to still get as much info as you can on RNY and try to go to support group meetings prior and after as they really help and there's also a good forum for RNY peeps called obesityhelp.com. Good luck, Nancy.

does not matter if you respond, I called my Dr and switch my surgery from Lap Band to Gastric bypass.

First, congratulations on being lucky enough to have insurance pay for either procedure. . .secondly, the choice is strictly yours. The band or gastric bypass is a personal choice. . .however, i've seen a lot of folks have a lot of problems with the RNY. . .infections causing tons of hospitalization, increased depression (hope your insurance can pay this if it should happen) higher mobidity rates (one person I know died 2 weeks after having it from complications - sorry) But again, the choice is definately yours to make, your the one who has to live with it. . . Good luck and the best to you!:)

First, congratulations on being lucky enough to have insurance pay for either procedure. . .secondly, the choice is strictly yours. The band or gastric bypass is a personal choice. . .however, i've seen a lot of folks have a lot of problems with the RNY. . .infections causing tons of hospitalization, increased depression (hope your insurance can pay this if it should happen) higher mobidity rates (one person I know died 2 weeks after having it from complications - sorry) But again, the choice is definately yours to make, your the one who has to live with it. . . Good luck and the best to you!:blink:

Well, that's kind of a nasty thing to say. As somene who is married to a bypass patient and is considering one for myself, I have to say that what i have observed is totally diffrent from what you are describing. "Tons of hospitalization"? I doubt it. "Increased depression"? any surgery does that.

you're painting a picture of bypass that is very,very incorrect. You need to get your facts straight.

Miss Bandy,

I didn't think the reply was nasty at all. While many people are very successful with the RNY, it has a lot of complications. I know of two women that died from complications associated with the gastric bypass. I also personally know several people that had it done several years ago, and wish that they had done the lapband instead, but it was not available at the time. Problems like severe Vitamin deficiency, and chronic diarrhea, are the most common. According to information available, it is much safer now than it was even 10 years ago. Most people will lose all the weight that they are going to lose within the first 18 months with the RNY. That was my determining factor for the lapband was that whether it is 18 months or 18 years I can always go back and have it tightened to help with weight loss if I gain anything back. Good Luck Haku with your decision and your weight loss. No matter what you decide I hope that you are successful.

Thank you Damomb. . . it surely wasn't meant to be nasty, but it was taken out of text of course. . .yes, I've seen first class the amounts of hospitalizations infection from RNY has caused as well as death. . . but as i said those are personal choices and those folks who chose either is a choice they have to live with. . personally after doing MY RESEARCH and getting the "FACTS" I have chosen lap band. . .have a great week all and an even better evening!!!!

I think the comment was nasty and mean. You can all step away from the statement an cover it up, but I think it stinks/speaks for itself. The only thing you can speak from is what you have, which is lap band. I was hoping to get folks of both proceedures.

I think the comment was nasty and mean. You can all step away from the statement an cover it up, but I think it stinks/speaks for itself. The only thing you can speak from is what you have, which is lap band. I was hoping to get folks of both proceedures.

You asked a question about lapband vs RNY, and got mad when someone answered you with their opinion. If you only wanted opinions that were pro-RNY, you should have said that. However, with that said, I still wish you luck on your journey. :blink:

I did not get mad, I stated my opinion and you all can't haddle it. You all are anti RNY because this is a band forum. So please if you don't anything to add about the original topic, please shut the F up. Still not mad, just my military training. I don't think you wish me luck, plus I don't need it, just the skill of my surgeon.:blink:

What you lose with your band 35 pounds in a year, Please, that is a failure.

As a veteran of the US Army, I too have had military training, and they did not teach me to be rude. You have more issues that the RNY is going to fix. And I do, in fact, wish you luck. You are 309 pounds for heavens sake! I hope whatever you choose works! And btw.. I have lost 42 pounds in 9 months.... and I consider that a great success!!

Must have been a different US Army than the one i deployed with. I did 23 year an retired, and the VA has rated my 90% disabled. 30% of the rating is for PTSD from the war. Thanks for the Luck. I out, good by.

The one thing I have learned at this site is not to take things too personally especially when it comes to choice of weight loss surgery! The main thing is to be proactive with your health care no matter which procedure you pick.

I've had both procedures done and know with each procedure there is aftercare in order to stay healthy and to lose the desired amount of weight. So far I have only been successful with RNY and like most people was a bit fearful of having it initially and that's why I went for the lap band first.

I personally have a 21 year old daughter who had RNY a year before I had mine, a niece who had it three months before I had mine and her sister will be getting hers done next month. So far we've all be successsful, knock on wood, and know that it take a lot of work and also working with a good bariatric team and taking our vit/supplements and having our bloodwork monitored for deficiencies. We're basically in charge of our own health and should be aware of what we need to do to stay healthy and also what to look out for that could be a problem and be treated for that asap.

With either surgery you can have problems, RNY does not equal "death sentence" although everyone seems to have some horror story to share of someone they "know" but usually are not very specific as to what caused it or even if it really was RNY related. Many times assumptions are made. So far I feel great and am happy and even amased that I am finally losing weight for the first time in over 20 years! My daughter has dropped 150 lbs and is a different person now. There are success stories and RNY has been around for quite a while and things have improved a lot.

All I know is without this surgery I would not have lost the weight, it was the right procedure for me and it's up to me to continue the work to get off the weight, maintain my health by taking all my supplements, seeing my doctors and getting my blood work done when needed. I also have rules to follow so that my pouch doesn't enlarge or my stoma doesn't enlarge in order to keep the weight off in the future. All weight loss surgery requires work and dedication but we are all different and not all weight loss procedure is right for everyone. Figuring out which is the right one for you is the first and most important step. Good luck to all of us as we all are in the same boat! Nancy.:mad2: