Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does band size matter?

Is there a doctor in the house that can explain this to us? I will be banded Oct 25th and after reading several posts, I have come to the conclusion that I would prefer the smaller band if I have that choice. My observations from reading these posts over time is that the smaller band provides more adequate & sufficient restriction & less trips to the fill doc. My fill doc is in Mexico, so the scheduling & $ to get there could get costly. The other good question asked by someone earlier is how crucial is the preop dieting related to the size of the band?

The size of the band installed is a medical decision made by the doctor. There may be some differences in restriction/fills and so on, but the effect is the same--you eat less. If the surgeon feels one size is preferable to another for your anatomy, he has his reasons. Doctors in other countries have more options, since only a couple of sizes of bands are approved for use in the US.

My doctor said there are three sizes (small, medium, large) and with most all of his patients, he uses the medium. He also said the Inamed band costs him close to $4,000 ea. (We were discussing the possibility of Medicare eventually allowing payment for LapBand surgery.) He said the small amount Medicare would pay would only cover the cost of the band (that's how we got to talking about the price of the band.) I have a friend who's waiting for Medicare to cover her surgery...not good news for her.

I have the VG 10 ml band. My Dr only uses that one now. I really wasnt happy about getting it a few months ago with trips back to the Dr for top ups to try and get some decent restriction. After this conference I learned that 2 yrs out, ppl with the smaller band and larger band are equal in their weight loss. Some with the small band find restriction with no fill or 1 or 2 small ones, whereas with the large one it can sometimes take around 5 or so (8 for me :) ). They also explained that the big band is more forgiving than the smaller band. Overall, whichever band suits your insides the best is the one you should get, because once you have restriction the weight comes off.

I am not sure how accurate this is either, but my Dr said the big band is now recommended because of less chance of erosion or slippage.

PS I am not putting any bands down in this post - or saying one is better than the other, just my experience and what I have learnt.

Hugs

This is all so very confusing to me. I am 5'3 and weighed 230 last May at my initial appointment. At my last pre-op I weighed in at 213. I've already been cutting back on my food intake to the point were I am still hungry all the time but telling myself I can do it until I get the band. My surgery date is October 11. From what I understand, my Doctor is only using the large size band. I work in a building w/5 other lap-banders and they all had the size 4 and have had very good results. I go to a support group meeting at the hospital and have been going weekly for months. From what I have hearing, the restriction is much better in the size 4. Some have had much success w/no fills at all. The newer, larger band patients are experiencing little restriction even after 2 or 3 fills. I emailed the support group leader who is also my surgeon's wife, by the way. Here is part of the response I received:

"Dr. M will be the one deciding which size band you will have. It will most likely be the larger band. I know it must sound out of control to hear Linda being hungry. You will be ok and if you are hungry, you do have options to help you feel betrter without the weight gain. You can have thicker Soups. You may not be hungry, you just don't know. The advantage with the bigger band is that you have less of a chance of the band coming up through the stomach if you have too much fill. You will have more flexibility with the fill. We have had less complications an good weight loss esults so far."

(By the way, Linda is good buddy of mine and has been very, very hungry since her surgery on the 22nd of September)

I've been waiting for so long to finally get here - probably shouldn't worry about band size but can't help thinking that the smaller band is more effective.

My concern with the smaller bands is that I had been reading and hearing about people being almost filled and nowhere near goal weight or feeling restricted. I thought a larger band would give me more to work with. My doc says the same as others, that he will decide once they get a look inside but he uses the larger band with great success and says slippage possiblities are less.

Just my thoughts.

I've got a big one!............................Band that is ! The VG band is perferred by my Doctor for all men in general. He says that a guys abdominal anatomy (perhaps a kinder way to say more belly fat) is a litte different than some women's, in terms of roominess. Ive only had one fill of 3cc's and really don't have alot of restriction yet. I really don't want an extreme degree of restriction.....where I couln't enjoy a variety of foods. I hear some say that they can only eat softcarbs or liquids......................well that aint for me! I've been banded 2 months now and have yet to have a PB. I have lost about 30lbs., so I think that band is well suited for me! I am very happy with it!

Is there a doctor in the house that can explain this to us? I will be banded Oct 25th and after reading several posts, I have come to the conclusion that I would prefer the smaller band if I have that choice. My observations from reading these posts over time is that the smaller band provides more adequate & sufficient restriction & less trips to the fill doc. My fill doc is in Mexico, so the scheduling & $ to get there could get costly. The other good question asked by someone earlier is how crucial is the preop dieting related to the size of the band?

Check out the following thread, especially the link to the article by Dr. O'Brien in message number 10 in that thread.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9192&page=1&pp=15

In that thread take a look at figure 3 which shows the diameter of the stomach opening for the three Bands based upon the volume of the fill.

Also, figure 2 shows the difference between a VG band and a 10cm Band.

Dr. Hekier,

Thank you for responding to my question regarding the differences in band sizes. After veiwing your suggested article, it simply confused me even more. So, I conclude it will no doubt be my surgeons decision. Dr. Hekier, you are so young & handsome! It is such a pleasure and it is greatly appreciated that you are here for us!

This smilie is just for you! 36_18_1.gif

Dr. Hekier,

Thank you for responding to my question regarding the differences in band sizes. After veiwing your suggested article, it simply confused me even more. So, I conclude it will no doubt be my surgeons decision. Dr. Hekier, you are so young & handsome! It is such a pleasure and it is greatly appreciated that you are here for us!

This smilie is just for you! 36_18_1.gif

(Blushing smiley) My wife went to Yale and graduated with honors, got a perfect 800 on the SAT verbal (she missed a few on the math) so I tell everyone that between us, my wife is the brains, and I am the beauty!:)