Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

almost 2 months out and at a stall

Hello, I am almost 2 months out of surgery and have lost 13lbs. I have had several suggestions and opinions as to why I may be at a plateau already and they all make sense, possibly eating too many carbs, not getting enough veggies in etc. I am going in for my first fill on September 3rd and I definitely need it. I am just asking for a second opinion, has anyone hit a plateau this early on in their journey, and if so did the weight loss start up again once they got their first fill? What types of meals did you guys eat almost 2 months out of surgery..i am not the greatest cook so ideas would be great...thanks =/

I think almost all of us tend to hit plateaus at one time or another. What usually breaks a plateau for me is varying my exercise routine and my food. Sometimes i get in a rut with doing the same food day in and day out due to lack of inspiration in cooking.

Maybe if you could describe your exercise routine and an example of your meals, someone could help you with a change in plan.

Sometimes the plateaus break for no good reason at all....(in MY case). I was on a plateau last month for amost 3 weeks. I'm 4 months out of surgery. Yes, it can be very frustrating, but just hang in there and don't comfort yourself with poor food choices. All of a sudden the weight just started falling off again.

Hang in there....hopefully someone will have some good ideas for you.

Oh sorry....I didn't answer one of your most important questions. YES, my last fill helped to break through a plateau.

Thanks Julia..I think my main mistake was eating solid foods too fast. I started incorporating solid foods after about 2 weeks after surgery, and that is when my weight loss has stopped ever since. On a typical day I eat too many carbs, and since I am not the greatest cook, all of my meals are based on having a carb dish on the side or having my Protein mixed in with my carbs such as hamburger helper (as we had the other night)...It's like, I know what i am doing wrong, but cooking is my hardest challenge on top of school and everything else. The past week I have been cooking healthy, but i need more spice in the kitchen department lol..i'll learn eventually i guess.

As for exercise, I go on the treadmill for 20 minutes, on an incline at 2.3mph..i go on whenever i can usually on a daily basis but not for the past 2 days.

Edited by Maloo

Just to reassure you, weight loss does slow down once you start eating real food (at least, it did with me). Are you able to vary your exercise routine? Maybe do some aerobic videos every other day when you're not on the treadmill? Each one of my fills has been a God-send.....I'm due for one on Sept 8 and i can't wait !! My stomach talks to me all the time. I find that i can fill my times between meals with liquid and it quiets the voices within.

I personally do better with weight loss when i have fewer carbs. I'm not an advocate of all Protein diets, but i seem to do better when i'm focusing more on Protein and veggies.

My favourite dish that i made recently was baking about 10 chicken parts (breasts, thighs, legs, etc). Then i pulled it all off the bones and put it in a big pot with about 3 cans of diced tomatoes. Added a ton of garlic, onion, green pepper, carrot, cauliflower, zucchini, and any other veggie that was about to expire in my fridge. Used a decent amount of dried oregano and basil and some salt/pepper (i put in some hot chili flakes too). This made a big batch of delicious protein/veggie topping. I froze it in small portions in freezer baggies....took the air out of the baggies and sealed them. That way they lie flat in the freezer and not take up as much space.

That's how i have ready-made lowfat/high protein meals. Makes it easier when i'm having to cook for the DH who refuses to eat low-fat. Most of the time, i'll just defrost my "slop" and put it on a small (very small) bed of brown rice. I'm not a big fan of brown rice, but with something so tasty on top, you don't even notice it. (*note: not everyone can eat rice, so be careful if it's your first time*)

I hope others see your thread and give some tips for you too. But do try to mix things up a bit with the exercise....and hang in there until Sept 3 for your fill....You've done well so far with 13lbs lost. :thumbup: Just be patient....like my DH tells me...."honey, you didn't gain it overnight, you're not going to lose it overnight". :crying:

Oh, and to give Restless Monkey credit.....it wasn't until her constant reminders to KEEP HYDRATED did i really start feeling better. I'm drinking more Water than ever since i started reading all her posts and constant reminders.....even my skin looks better.