Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

so I just go back to liquids? How long should I? I just hope that it also helps get rid of that feeling in my throat/top of my chest aswell

Sometimes after surgery the opening to the top pouch from the esophagus gets constricted from swelling or from the trauma. It kind of sticks together. Or the constriction of the band itself between the two pouches of the stomach closes off or narrows. This happened to me and they did a upper GI or endoscopy passed a tube with a balloon and dilated the opening. I also had gastritis and pylops in my stomach. So two Nexium a day now but I can swallow!!! I was banded 7/13/09 and just now can eat solid food. Very slowly and small bites also I have no restriction right now with my band. Oh the procedure was painless and over in 45 minutes.

Pay attention to your symptoms. I got dehydrated and it was rough. Dizzy,tingling,numbness and weakness and low grade fever 99.2 to 100. Take care

Karen

Erin -

I just got over swelling (due to a bad PB - I couldn't even keep liquids down). Once I could keep liquids down again (about 4 hours) my doctor's office advised liquids only for 2 days, then soft food for 2 days. They told me people make the biggest mistake by taking in solids too soon after any swelling and forcing the issue.

We really have to respect our bands and try to figure out what they are telling us. (I'm 47 and still learning - some days I think I'm a really slow learner!) If I remember right I think you have an appt next week - but I would get back to the basics with liquids, then slowly work back to your mushy stage. It certainly can't hurt anything to try it. Hopefully by giving your stomach a little rest, even from the mushies, it will help.

I have the dizzy feeling, the numbness, tingling feeling and I kind of feel weak and I kind of feel nauseated, I don't know my temp, this is probably what I need to get done

Erin,

Are you getting in enough liquids? Lots of those symptoms can be from dehydration. It might help you to feel a little better if you make sure you are hydrated.

I was swollen so bad a few weeks ago that I couldn't even swallow Water. I was able to take in broth and the hotter the broth, the better it went down. I pretty much lived on broth and hot Decaf tea until I could see my doc.

Also you can take some liquid children's ibuprophen that will help to reduce the swelling.

Keep us posted on how you are feeling.

Edited by SuzanneG

I have the dizzy feeling, the numbness, tingling feeling and I kind of feel weak and I kind of feel nauseated, I don't know my temp, this is probably what I need to get done

I know that this is going to sound rude, BUT here it goes anyway. Instead of sitting at your computer whining about this minute after minute, get your ass up and go to the ER. You stated earlier in this thread that the nurse told you to do so, so DO IT. Tell them what is going on and they will help you. They can do a scope to see if you have narrowed. They can do an unfill if necessary, they can tell you what is going on, and you don't have to keep posting for the next week what every little thing you might think it is. Honestly its beginning to sound like hypochondria. And so that you don't have to start another thread asking what that is, her is the definition a disorder characterized by an exaggeration of imagined or negligible physical ailment. The hypochondriac fears that such minor symptoms indicate a serious disease, and tends to be self-centered and socially withdrawn. Continually seeking professional help to reinforce his fears, the hypochondriac never feels he is receiving adequate care. Contemporary theorists have arrived at similar conclusions, suggesting that the physical ailments of hypochondriacs were a form of escape from psychological stress. The disorder is technically known as hypochondriasis, and is classified as a somatoform disorder, or one in which a psychological problem manifests itself in a physical ailment.

Thinner, I see no reason for you to be an ass to Erin. She's very young and having some complications. It's only natural that she would be concerned. I've been too tight and I can tell you its a scary thing, even for someone who has been banded for a year and a half.

My mom always says "If you can't say something nice to someone, don't say anything at all."

Dear Thinneranniesoon.....

Erin is 18 yrs. Old and scared. She has made the most incredible decision to take control of her life. She needs US all for support because we understand what she is going through more than her family understands.

Would you speak to your own child like that? NO MATTER WHAT..this forum is for support and guidance.

ERIN I will hold your hand anytime you need it.

G'ma

aww thanks (:

Actually, I would as a parent be there for my child, who would be coming to me with all of this instead of serial posting on a message board.

I would also as a parent, be taking matters in control and taking her to the hospital to get help, instead of watching this unfold day after day. I would also be finding another doctor that would see her, even if it meant driving 100 or more miles away to do so.

Yes she is 18, but yes she made the decision to have this surgery, however I have to question the parents in this situation that are not helping.

I mean come on, I want to tell them at school, but I don't want to tell them at school. Do I have narrowing, do I have a fill already, do I eat macaroni and cheese, please, it as only been a few weeks, give yourself time to heal.

Actually the message board is the best place to ask questions.

First of all, we don't know where her parents are or if she lives at home. I was living on my own at 18. More than likely they aren't educated/experienced with the band anyway.

Secondly, why are you so freaking bitter? She's not hurting anyone, just asking valid questions about her band and her health.

Thirdly, This board is for support, if you feel a need to attack someone, go someplace else.

Erin, How are you feeling? Better I hope.

I feel a little better but when I eat something I feel nauseated, still get dizzy when getting up, and that feeling is still in my throat, two more days till I see my dr, can't come any sooner argh!

I've been going through a similar thing. Severe heartburn when I eat, bubble in my throat that won't let things go down comfortably, I called the doctor after the symptoms persisited for a couple of weeks and I couldn't alleviate it with diet changes, liquids for a few days, etc. I'm not one to run to the doctor unless I am pretty sure that there is a problem. I also had to wait a few days to get an appointment. I am scheduled for an upper endoscopy and upper GI tomorrow so hopefully we will know more then.

You get the best care from your doctor, not the emergency room. If you can't swallow anything, then it is time to run, not walk, to the emergency room but until then, follow the nurse's advice and see your doctor.

My advise to you Erin is to force yourself to drink small sips of Water and Protein (like isopure) throughout the day. When your Protein intake is low and your liquid intake is low you can exhibit symptoms like you are having. Your biggest worry is probably dehydration so sipping small sips throughout the day will help with that. You are seeing the doctor in a few days so try not to worry or imagine things that may or may not be there.

Hang in there and don't hesitate to come to the board whenever you have a problem. There are lots of us here who have been around a little longer than you have and would love to offer whatever advice we can. Just remember, your doctor and his nurse are your best sources for advice.

My advice to you thinneranniesoon is, if you don't like what is written on a particular post, go read something else. We have all had times when we were unsure of how to proceed and questions to someone who has been there are helpful.

the only thing I don't have is heartburn, I can get Water and proteing drinks, sugar free Popsicles down I just can't get food down or even Soups without feeling like I gotta vomit =$ hope the dr finds out what's wrong cause I'd like to be better before school starts which is the 8th =

Tell me if they find anything and if I have to get the upper GI or an endoscopy done does it hurt?

I think I have reflux cause it burns in my throat sometimes

Thanks (: