Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The nightmare never ends!

I was banded on 3/19/09. I had researched and studied the banding process and where to get the band, so I knew the problems that could occur afterward. I felt pretty good, only had to have two fills to get to my "sweet spot" and was losing pretty consistantly (about 10 lbs./month). In July, I started to become very consitpated and not having a movement for like two weeks. I would take stuff to help, but nothing really happened. The thing was that I didn't feel like I had to go at all. I just thought that maybe since I didn't eat so much with the band that I was metabolizing all of my food. Well, on July 24th, I was eating dinner with my husband and started to have a pain on the lower right side of my abdomen. I no longer have an appendix or gallbladder so I knew it wasn't that. It continued to get so bad that I went to the ER. They admitted me immediately and took a CAT-scan of my stomach (I first got a much needed pain shot). They watched over me for the next day and the doctor couldn't figure out why I was in so much pain and why I had no waste (they had given me three enemas that produced nothing). The doctor kept coming in and looking at me like I was a puzzle and would occassionally tell me they might have to do exploratory surgery. On the evening of the 25th, I was alone in my room and all of the sudden I had the worst pain of my life hit me in my upper abdomen and in my shoulders. It was like fire and pain so intense I could barely push the nurse button. By the time the nurse came in I looked so bad that she ordered a crash cart immediately. My room was filled with people and they gave me an x-ray in bed, a few minutes later my doctor came in and said he has to operate. I broke down and told him I was scared and he told me if he didn't, I wouldn't survive.

So, what he had found out on the x-ray was that my band had somehow moved and killed off the blood supply to my stomach which in turn killed almost half of my stomach. In the process it wore a hole in my stomach the size of a silver dollar making most of the food I ate go through the hole and into my abdomen and organs and not my stomach. That was the reason for no bowel movements, there was no food to digest, it was contaminating my organs. The surgery removed the band (of course), removed almost half of my stomach and the surgeon had to clean my organs of debris.

He had to leave the 16"suture in my stomach open and stapled in two places so the wound can heal from the inside out for fear of infection and contamination, so my husband has to change my bandages and pack gauze into my wounds every day.

I went to a very nice, respected and knowledgeable hospital that does this procedure. It just shows that anything can happen to anyone. I had no reflux, no vomiting, no problems whatsoever until July.

I am posting this so people can know that even things that don't seem possible can happen. Never feel afraid to ask questions and be proactive in your case. I never thought anything would happen to me and I almost lost my life.

Not trying to scare, just inform.

i am so sorry you had to go through all that i cant imagine the pain you've been through. and thank you so much for sharing your story. Thank god you are still here to share it with us. I wish you the best and hope you heal quickly.

I am so sorry that this happened to you! It must have been so frightening and painful!

It is very wise advice to give to people to not let things go, and to check right away if things aren't normal. Thanks for your story! I hope things get better soon!

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 0 replies
    • Mr.Kantos

Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      · 0 replies
    • Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches