Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fifty,...fat and fed-up!

I'm 50. Weigh 248 with a BMI of 37. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea and feel like I'm a heart attack waiting to happen. I can always lose my weight but it always comes back. I love to eat and I'm a volume eater. My diet is horrible. What I am hoping the lapband does for me is force me to get serious about getting healthy. I'm hoping it will be the tool that helps me stay on track with eating less, learning about heathy eating and making exercise easier. I know that if I don't change, my life will be shorter, marked by obesity related illness and just plain lethargic. I want to get active again. Right now the highlite of my weekend is a big lunch followed by a 3 hour nap. I know life has much more to offer and am excited with the prospect of getting active again.

I was in the same boat. Had surgery July 31st. The amazing thing for me is that I feel satisfied-not hungry- and the cravings I had in the past have disappeared. I am very aware of the foods I eat and making good choices. These choices satisfy my food needs and I have no "munchies" anymore. I also became aware of the difference between being hungry and just plain bad habits. I know I am rambling here, so let me just say this...I needed to become aware of and practice good eating habits. Having the lapband as a tool to help me with this has been a godsend! If you are ready to commit to making this total lifestyle change (and are up to having major surgery)...then this path may be just what you are looking for. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. This wesite is great for information and support!

Welcome. I am 60 (a young 60).. Had the band done in feb, was the best thing i have ever done, i feel so good now, i am down aprox 50 pounds, 3 sizes in shirts and 2 almost 3 in my pants. I have dropped several medications. I would probably be down more but it is hard for me to exercise as i have a bad hip. But i do what i can. Good luck to you and i will hopefully see and hear less of you soon.

T-rose

WTG!!! congrats on your success

Paul,

It sounds like you are ready to make the change to a healthier lifestyle. Good for you!

Donna

I'm 50. Weigh 248 with a BMI of 37. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleep apnea .

I was 49 weighed 273 with a bmi close to yours, I was on two blood pressure medicines and had severe sleep apnea. Now just months past 50 I'm off all bp medicines and no more CPAP. It is wonderful and it can be done.

I also started my highest weight at 262, a BMI of 45. High blood pressure, and border line diabetes. Just mere weeks after I had my surgery I was taken off my blood pressure medication, and have already dropped my BMI down to 37.2.

Deciding to have this surgery was the best decision I have ever made in my life. The band is a tool that does help me control the amount of food I eat, and I have a mind set after putting my body through this surgery to eat only the healthiest of food. Low fat, fat free, sugar free, high in protien.

If you decide to have this surgery and stick with the program, and follow your doctors instructions I think you will be very happy with the results. Amazingly I do not feel the hunger pangs I did before the band.

Good luck in your journey.

Hi Paul, so glad you joined us! And believe me I am not trying to put a damper on your enthusiasm but I just want to say that the band is just what all the above posters says it is. As well as you said yourself. It is just a tool and it will not in itself force you to make better choices. You have to be ready to do that yourself. You will want to research and possibly go to a nutritionist if you are a person that cannot stay away from bad food choices. Now, with that said, I am like all the other posters here, I love my band and don't regret a minute of my decision. I truly hope you begin this journey with us and will do what it takes to make the band work for you! Good Luck and keep us posted.

i am 60 also and really want the lap band..........how can we talk or e-mail i am new to this and should i put my e-mail on this???

ooops i am terri :0

HEY TERI. I DONT KNOW HOW OTHERS FEEL, BUT I DONT MIND ANYONE HAVING MY EMAIL ADDRESS AND EMAILING ME ..I LOVE EMAILS AND I CAN USE ALL THE FRIENDS I CAN GET, DONT REALLY HAVE ANY, I AM NOT WORKING RIGHT NOW SO IT IS REALLY HARD TO MEET ANYONE, I HAVE BEEN OUT OF WORK 6 YRS AND I AM TRYING TO FIND SOME NOW,, AND IT IS NOT EASY..SO YES, YOU MAY EMAIL..IT IS.....dknowl1@tx.rr.com

LOOK FOWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU OR ANYONE ELSE..MALE OR FEMALE

T-ROSE..DEE