Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I read a statistic that banded patients on an average, lose 55% of their excess body weight after 2 years.

I've also read that gastric bypass patients have a window of opportunity to lose weight during an 18-24 month period. After that, the weight stops coming off.

My question is this, can banded patients continue to lose weight after 2 years or does the weight loss stop like gastric bypass patients?

I don't think I can go through surgery and accept a loss of 55% of my excess weight.

Is there more hope than that?

Thanks in advance if you can offer me some personal insight!

I read a statistic that banded patients on an average, lose 55% of their excess body weight after 2 years.

I've also read that gastric bypass patients have a window of opportunity to lose weight during an 18-24 month period. After that, the weight stops coming off.

My question is this, can banded patients continue to lose weight after 2 years or does the weight loss stop like gastric bypass patients?

I don't think I can go through surgery and accept a loss of 55% of my excess weight.

Is there more hope than that?

Thanks in advance if you can offer me some personal insight!

Hi Drasan

It's up to yo on how much weight you lose not the bands.

I lost 100% of my excess weight in 1 yr. I did the work by changing my eating habits and exercisings

I hated those statistics - But again food is our drug of choice and what are the statistics on drug addicts not relapsing

I eat healthy now and go to the gym - not high fat - sugar and no physically activity like I did 2 yrs ago..

The reason that bypass pple lose weight faster is that their bodies don't absorb the calories from their foods due to the rerouting of their intestines... Bander absorb every calorie that the put in their mouth...

The reason that bypass pple quit losing after a time is that their intestine adapt to the surgery and start absorbing calories again..

So if a bypass person doesn't change their eating habits they are going to start regaining the weight back..

Just like a bander can eat around their band even when they are at their sweet spot (perfect restriction)

I'm at my sweet spot and have been since 1/08 - I could choose to eat candy bars all day long - they are a slider food (slide right thru the band) I could drink milk shakes all day too - but if I chose not to do those things.

I wouldn't have lost the weight if I had and If I went back to eating high fat high sugar and not exercising I could gain my weight back too..

Any weight loss surgery is just a tool - none of it is the magic cure all to our issues with food.

To lose the weight and keep it off you have to change your eating habits - you have to exercise - It's not about dieting cuz they don't work cuz when you go back to eating normal you gain the weight back - Our normal eating is what got us fat in the first place.

So don't pay attention to those statistic - I know a lot of pple here on LBT who have lost 100% of their excess with the band and they have done it in 1 yr - again how much you lose is up to you - not the surgery...

Good luck on your journey.....

Ok statistics are just that stats.. SOme people dont work their band.. that is for sure.

I personally had orientation november 4 2008 surgery the 3/31/09 and i am down 85 lbs already... It does take a lot of Drive and dedication but it can be done. I have lost already more then 75% of my excess, and expect to loose the rest.

It just ALLL depends on you:D So yes tehre is hope!

I agree stats can be manipulated to say whatever you want them to say!

I am 3+ years. I lost all of my excess weight and work my band. I choose not to eat candy bars, fattening foods because I know what it feels like to be healthy and I want to stay here.

Is there hope--I say YES! Good luck.

I agree about stats. You can argue them all day on here and it seems as though everyone has a different take on them. I had never heard of gastric patients not losing weight after 2 yrs. That is new to me. I know several of them personally who have lost 100% of their weight and are still keeping it off after 5 years. I have also seen the same with band patients from here who have lost 100% of their weight. I am sure there are sleeve patients with the same results. Just like the others said, it is really up to you and how much you put into it unless you have unforseen complications which can happen with any WLS. It is difficult to make the decision. I have said many times, research and research again and try to make the choice you feel is right for you. I went to several seminars too. It helped a lot. I also contacted my potential surgeons office and checked on aftercare and to see how the support staff treated me. I can say I am extremely pleased with my choice and my aftercare. Good Luck and keep us posted.

I agree with the above posters about statistics. Remember, they are a compilation and average of what other people accomplished, not a prediction of what you will achieve.

Thank you so much. Your posts are encouraging.

My hope was that the band would be a working tool for the rest of my life. I was confused by the stats and felt very defeated. But what I'm hearing from all of you is encouraging.

I've lost weight before using diets, but the weight always came back plus. I've identified my main problem and that is Portion Control. I've often said that I don't have a mechanism that tells me that I'm full before it's too late, then I feel uncomfortable from eating too much. It's like I don't have an off switch.

From what I've read, it sounds like the band will help me with the over-eating issue. I was hoping it would work beyond the two year mark and from what your posts tell me, it does.

Thank you again! I'm moving closer to making a decision.

My BMI is 39, with 2 co-morbidities

Insurance is a go

Primary Caregiver has given the go ahead

I attended an information seminar

I think I'm on my way!

I agree with the other posters. I'm 10 months post-op and have already lost 73% of my extra weight. In fact, today I went to The Gap and bought a pair of jeans in size 12! I was wearing a tight 20 when I started this process.

If you are willing to follow the rules of being banded (within reason -- you don't have to be perfect all the time), you are going to lose weight and you are going to keep it off.

Funny -- I just put up a video on my blog about this (how mind-boggling it is for me to realize that the weight isn't coming back). Feel free to check it out if you want!

Good luck with your decision!

Catherine

you can definitely lose all of your excess weight if you put your mind to it. It's not always easy but if you're willing to work the weight can come off.

I remember hearing the same thing in a consult and worrying that i wouldn't be able to lose what i needed to. But i just decided i was gonna do this no natter what. Well i am happy to report that i'm 6 months out and have lost 86% of my excess body weight already. i've already exceeded my initial goal of 160. I"m off my diabetes and all of my BP mesd besides a Water pill. i i was an 18 to start and i just bought my 1st size 8 pair of jeans. They're stretch but gosh darn it they fit!! LOl. So yes you can lose all the weight. Good luck!!

I'm so glad to have found this forum.

Thanks again for the responses!

Catherine, I took a peek at your blog and video and I was surprised to recognize your site! I've visited it before and even pointed out some of the information to my husband as a "look, see!"

I'm very encouraged now! I think I can do this. I too can't wrap my mind around the weight staying off once I lose it! But wow, I could certainly learn to live with that!

Thanks bunches!