Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Heat and workouts

After a week of working out 30 min a day on my brand new elliptical trainer, the weather decided to thwart me. We've had three days of 90+ degrees and another on the way with all sorts of air quality warnings and such. As I don't have AC, I am certainly not getting on the elliptical.

I feel bad for not exercising, but I c.an't really do anything in this heat. I am afraid this break is going to make it difficult to get back into exercising again. And I am afraid of how not working out for a week as I make the transition to mushees is going to affect my weight.

I know I am being silly, but hey...

So anyway, what do you all do when it is too hot to breathe let alone exercise?

get a floor fan & prop it up right in front of your elliptical.

while i'm from NY (Long Island) - been in TX for a while now & it being 90+ for several months is the norm (we do have AC & pool). i recall my trainer having me run in 107 degree weather many a days - you just manage. as you lose, you become more fit & you can handle the heat a bit more. it's a short window (depending where your at in NY) - be fall in a blink.

all the best!

Lol, I dont call 90 degrees, hot, it gets much hotter here in Melbourne. I've got a floor fan that I get out in summer, so if its over about 35 (95 Fahrenheit) I will run on the treadmill instead and have the fan blowing on me.

We're lucky becuase it rarely gets cold enough to stop you running outdoors in winter, certainly doesnt snow or anything here and there's been a freaking drought for 12 years, so hardly any chance of it raining either. But summer is regularly over 100 degrees. I have learned to deal with it, its hot, you drink a lot but you still go out for your run. I go either early in the morning or later at night than I would on a milder day. I only go on the treadmill becuase I *DO* have aircon, it would be cooler to run outside than in if I didnt.

Try going for a walk or going to a class at an airconditioned gym or something instead perhaps? Working indoors on a hot day with bo aircon is about as hot as it gets.

i always wondered what i could do besides being outside in the heat and its been up in the high 80s the past few weeks and today it was actually up at 100 i wanted to go swimming sooo badly but people said i shouldnt but my doc said i could so i dont know, i tried walking in the morning but its still hot, i live in ny and it just started getting hot this month, i have ac so im going to go on the treadmil twice a day every other day and on the other add in a seventeen magazine workout. im 2 weeks post op my doc said i could exercise now, im going to wait for acouple more weeks to add in the biggest loser workout. and a few weeks after school starts im going to start going to my school's weight room and use the eliptical (: but one of the nurses that did one of the classes before surgery said that you can walk up and down stairs or dance to music but like someone said you can get a floor fan and thatll keep you cool i have one for the treadmil and i have one for when i do a workout or play DDR or wii fit in my room and i dont have ac in my room but we have one in the living room (: maybe get a ac? :) oh dont forget to have your Water, i wouldnt want to workout out in the heat either but i did when i tried losing weight before and i handled it pretty well but now we have a fan and its so much better

Do it really early. Ive been on a self imposed bootcamp and have been getting in a hard 60mins every other day for a week all before 9am. Its awful but worth every minute. Make sure you are drinking more than enough.

Thank goodness my off day is tomorrow. But I will be getting a workout in...at the POOL!

Go to the local mall. Most malls have walking programs in the morning, otherwise you can use the side to side movement getting aroung the crowds to build your hips and core during mall hours.

After a week of working out 30 min a day on my brand new elliptical trainer, the weather decided to thwart me. We've had three days of 90+ degrees and another on the way with all sorts of air quality warnings and such. As I don't have AC, I am certainly not getting on the elliptical.

I feel bad for not exercising, but I c.an't really do anything in this heat. I am afraid this break is going to make it difficult to get back into exercising again. And I am afraid of how not working out for a week as I make the transition to mushees is going to affect my weight.

I know I am being silly, but hey...

So anyway, what do you all do when it is too hot to breathe let alone exercise?

Sorry to get off topic but how much and where did you get your elliptical?

Sorry to get off topic but how much and where did you get your elliptical?

I did an awful lot of research and two brands that consistently came out on top in reviews were: The Nordic Track Audiostrider 990 for the medium price range (about $900) and the Smooth CE 7.4 Elliptical for the higher price range and more "gym like" ($1600).

I went with the Smooth CE 7.4. I figured if I was going to invest money, I should get the best I can. It's all metal and noiseless and has 8 programs, 16 levels of resistance and a really great display. The foot peddles are padded too so it is really comfortable to use, more so than the one at the gym. And the warranty was the best out of all the machines. It's also slim - only 27 inches wide, but it is taller than me (I'm 5' 3") and it supports up to 350 pounds.

I bought it directly from the manufacturer. For me, it is worth every cent!

If you get one, I highly advise paying the $99 to have them bring it into your place and put it together. The box is huge and weights over 250 pounds.