Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about Zoloft and weight loss?

I am just full of questions today...

So, I met with the behavior therapist last week to get the psych clearance for surgery, and during the discussion, we talked about the daily dose of Zoloft I take. I have been on 50 mg of Zoloft per day for anxiety (and trust me, with my job/kids, I really need it LOL). She asked me if I had any trouble losing weight while taking it and no light bulbs came on, so I'm really not too sure. I have tried to wean in the past several times (all unsuccessful obviously).

I am going to try to research this on the Web now, but everyone is so knowledgeable here. Is anyone (either pre-op or post-op) currently taking antidepressants? Have your docs told you that your weight loss will be slower due to taking it? I just want to be prepared if that is going to be a small obstacle to the weight loss.....

I believe weight gain/weight loss are pretty commonly listed as possible side effect sof SRI type anti depressants. I have taken 50mg of zoloft for years and prior to that I took 20mg of prozac. I have found that those times when I "decide" to lose weight, these medications have no real impact on my ability to do so. I have lost 18lbs since January. Good Luck!

I currently take 200 mg (yes, 200, not 20) of zoloft--and have for about 10 years. I'd probably be even fatter if I didn't take zoloft-- because I overate to calm myself and to lift my spirits. I've never had any health-care professional say anything about my weight-loss efforts being harder because of the zoloft. Zoloft removes my depression so that I can find the energy to carry on with the business of living. Good luck.

I took 40 mg. of Prozac for a long time (no longer) and I remember distinctly being told that it MIGHT suppress my appetite some. Not so much, LOL. But I did successfully diet when I was on it once.

I have taken Zoloft 100 mg in the past for about 4 years. I now have been taking Lexapro for 1 year. I had LB surgery on July 13, 2009 and it does not seem that the meds have any effect, I am losing weight pretty good without a fill yet. I also took Prosac for about 6 moths and gained weight also weight gain with Welbutrim. My Zoloft I loved but seem to do better with Lexapro 20mg.

I am still hoping this surgery will help me lose weight which in turn will make me want to get out of the house I try to hide-a-way in. I would not suggest trying to wean off the Zoloft until after you go through Surgery process. I have weaned off a couple of times and it is too much to deal with while dealing with getting use to new things. Once I weaned off and stayed off for 6 months, worse 6 months of my life.

My Surgeon knew about the Lexapro and I also take Xanax for Anxiety. He told me to take it as normal before surgery.

BUT THAT IS JUST MY EXPERIENCE, ALWAYS CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR. Hope that helps some.

I take Effexor XR and Abilify and don't feel like it has had an impact on my lap band journey. You are on a small dose of Zoloft, relatively speaking and should do just fine.

Mimi

I take paxil, which has a tendency to cause some people to gain weight. However, when I have tried to diet in the past, I don't believe it affected my weight loss. I agree with willowcat, that id the meds ghelp your frame of mind, you will be more likely to have success with your weight loss.

This is kinda off topic but I was wondering do all these meds work? I think I may need one. I took Zoloft in the past and stopped cuz it did nothing. Im down in the dumps most of the time. I have anxiety and Im crabby to my kids. I blame it on being so obese but could it be depression?And is it some miracle pill that can make me happy cuz if so I would love to get on something:)

This is kinda off topic but I was wondering do all these meds work? I think I may need one. I took Zoloft in the past and stopped cuz it did nothing. Im down in the dumps most of the time. I have anxiety and Im crabby to my kids. I blame it on being so obese but could it be depression?And is it some miracle pill that can make me happy cuz if so I would love to get on something:)

i have to tell you that these are NOT MIRACLE PILLS! they wont fix everything bad in your life. but they will make you feel better. and sometimes you have to try more then one kind before finding the one that works for you. and it takes about 6 weeks to get in your body and for others to see a happier you ( i say others because they are the first to see a change then you will) trust me i should know ive been on all kinds for over 10 years!!! right now i take 150mg of zolof a day. hope this helps. and talk to your doc about it!!!

Yes, it could be depression. See your doctor (general practioner) about it. There are many different anti-depressants out there now. Doctors know to try different ones if one of them doesn't work. Also, the dose you're on needs to be high enough for you (everybody's body is different). Zoloft doesn't reach full effectiveness until 4-6 weeks so you have to stay in touch with your doctor. For me, zoloft works extremely well (for me it truly is like a "miracle pill"). I will never stop taking zoloft--without it I probably wouldn't even be alive today. See your doctor. Untreated depression makes life unbearable and there's no reason to live like that now that there are effective treatments. You may also want to look into therapy. Depression is most successfully treated with a combination of medication and therapy--you want recovery not just relief. Good luck.

Marmar, if you were prescribed an antidepressant previously, it could be depression. A couple of things to remember....the first pill isn't an instant fix. The medication can take 4 to 6 weeks to build up enough in your bloodstream to make the difference you need. So you start feeling better in bits. It can even be diifficult to say "I'm better" without thinking about where you really were the day you started taking the medication. If one doesn't work for you, move on to another one. There are lots to choose from, different doses and it might take a little experimentation to get to the right amount of the right medication. But it is definitely worth it to wake up in the morning glad to see the day and feeling that you are prepared to cope with whatever it may bring. Sometimes, counseling must be combined with medication so if your doctor suggests that at some point don't be afraid of it.

Ya know My life is pretty good I have a great husband whom I love and nothing in my life is sooo bad so Im thinking I may need something. When I was on Zoloft in the past I was on it for 6 months and it didnt do anything maybe I needed a bigger dose. Thanks everyone

I am just full of questions today...

So, I met with the behavior therapist last week to get the psych clearance for surgery, and during the discussion, we talked about the daily dose of Zoloft I take. I have been on 50 mg of Zoloft per day for anxiety (and trust me, with my job/kids, I really need it LOL). She asked me if I had any trouble losing weight while taking it and no light bulbs came on, so I'm really not too sure. I have tried to wean in the past several times (all unsuccessful obviously).

I am going to try to research this on the Web now, but everyone is so knowledgeable here. Is anyone (either pre-op or post-op) currently taking antidepressants? Have your docs told you that your weight loss will be slower due to taking it? I just want to be prepared if that is going to be a small obstacle to the weight loss.....

Different antidepressants affect people differently. I am not currently taking anything and haven't in probably 3 years, but 5 years ago, I was on Zoloft for about 4 months. I put on 25lbs without eating more. I told my doctor that I didn't think gaining the 25 lbs was good for my mood in the long run, so I switched to Welbutrin, actually lost a little weight, and it helped my depression.

im currently on 50mg of zoloft and have put on 10+ pounds from it. i love how this happy pill makes me feel, i take it because of how ugly i was getting from menopause. so i am in the beginning of appealing my insurance comp to let an awesome surgeon do my lap band but since he is 18 miles more in distance than the place they have in our policy its gonna get ugly before its over, but im concerned my zoloft will prevent me losing the weight i need to lose.

I know of doctors who prescribe diet pills to also prescribe lexapro to help and those who took both lost more weight.