Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any women have PCOS? relates to overeating

PCOS stands for polycystic ovarian syndrome

it is linked to an increase in the hormone gherlin that makes you still hungry after a meal...

just wondering if anyone knows if they have it and how it works with the band- if you still struggle with hunger with it

From what I've read, ghrelin levels are normal in women with PCOS who are not overweight, or are overweight but don't have any insulin-resistance issues....so

I'd think that banding or bypass can only help the disease, but I think its a little easier to loose initially with bypass. (i don't have the disease).

Besides anecdotal evidence, your doc can probably help you. There are many conditions (like being post-menopausal, which I AM) that can make it harder to lose weight, but it still comes off! :smile2:

Hi Justbanded,

I have had PCOS for 28 years. I have struggled with my weight and all the other "wonderful" things that go along with PCOS -- insulin resistance (and then, type 2 diabetes), Hair growth, weight gain, infertility...

I was banded to help with my insulin resistance/type 2 diabetes, because my understanding, after talking to my PCP and bariatric surgeon, that weightloss will help correct that issue. Once my weight is down and my diabetes improves (which it already has!) or resolves completely, the hormone, ghrelin should not be a problem.

I am always hungry -- but it is as always -- head hunger or food-seeking behavior. It is my hope that once I am filled and find my "sweet" spot, that my body will get into the groove and my head hunger will lessen.

Also, there is a forum for PCOS on here that is pretty good. Good luck my "soul cyster"!

Great question! I have PCOS as well. I will check out that forum!

PCOS stands for polycystic ovarian syndrome

it is linked to an increase in the hormone gherlin that makes you still hungry after a meal...

just wondering if anyone knows if they have it and how it works with the band- if you still struggle with hunger with it

I had that but had my only ovary and my uterus removed 10 years ago. My eating got way out of control after my hysterectomy but I don't know why.

I am interested to hear about this hormone that causes hunger.

I have been banded 19 months now and have had five fills I think. I don't have any problem with my appetite now with the band. I can sometimes only eat a couple of bites and feel full. I may eat more often but only small amounts. I don't really have to watch what I am eating but I try to eat healthy ie Protein first, then veggies, fruit, ...

It is working great for me. I finally feel in control of my eating. I eat to live now not live to eat.

Lynda

Thanks to OP for posting this, I have PCOS as well.

Hi! I too have PCOS. It certainly makes losing weight harder. I've had PCOS for about 20 years, but was only diagnosed about 10 years ago. I'm 31 days post-op and I've lost 20 pounds all together. (Including pre-op). The hunger issue I think is mainly mental; however, cravings are still tough. I've determined that life is just not fair, and so I just deal with the PCOS as it comes. This works for me anyway. I know losing is going to be harder due to the PCOS, but I also work in the medical field and I know that weight lifting helps the most with buring calories and fat and adding muscle, which ultimately increases the metabolic rate. Good luck!

weight.png