Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got banded yesterday and few questions

Hi Everyone, I new to the group and just got banded yesterday July 30 and have a few questions maybe some of you lapband vets can answer.

First is that instead of Constipation they said would happen I have the other issue (plus lots of gas). Called and talked to Dr Nurse and she said normal and switch to lactaid milk or soy for shakes (but never had an issue with milk on the 2 week liver shrink). Only took 2 pain pills because it really isn't that bad just like I did 200 situps (which I could never do in the first place!)

Second my upper throat still hurts, May just be irritation from the tube.

Three, I lost 17lbs on the liver shrink (down to 265, ideal is 185 or less for BMI 25). I'm thinking that if I really dug down deep I might have been able to do with without the band (even though I have failed with the diets before. Anyone else felt like that after the surgery, like what have I done?

Thanks everyone for helping this newbe!

I thought the same thing, about possibly being able to do it on my own. But then, I thought that while I tried diets. "This time I will make it. This time I will be strong". And I never was. I'm sure that I would have been able to lose weight on my own. I really didn't think the pre-op diet was that hard/horrible. After a couple days, I wasn't even hungry.

But I know it wouldn't last. I would eat something outside of my diet and then it would have been all over, once I got that taste of it again. And with a large stomach, I would have been able to eat and eat again.

Now.. I feel like I'll be able to eat foods that I want, but I'll be eating much less. And I'm going to do everything I can to stay away from foods I really shouldn't be eating (candy, sweets, breads, ice cream, Cookies, etc...). At this point, sugar purged from my system, I don't even crave them. I'm dying for something salty and solid, though!

As for the bowel question, I wouldn't know. I haven't done anything but pee in.... at least 5-6 days. I don't really FEEL constipated, though. Gas, yes.

I lost 17lbs on the liver shrink (down to 265, ideal is 185 or less for BMI 25). I'm thinking that if I really dug down deep I might have been able to do with without the band (even though I have failed with the diets before. Anyone else felt like that after the surgery, like what have I done?

Sure, if you dig down deep, you can loose weight. But can you keep it off? I know I couldn't. I'm less than 2 months post-op, so far, I can eat most foods (steak, shrimp, pasta). My portion sizes are so much smaller than what I ate before, yet I am full. I couldn't have done that without the band. I know I have to stay away from icecream and certain high calorie foods and drinks, but having a smaller pouch allows me to still enjoy them in small amounts.

I don't think there is hardly a soul who doesn't rethink their decision right after they are banded. I too had Constipation and got kind of worried after a week went by. Finally it came and I am more regular now that I have ever been my whole life. I am sure due to the fact I am eating properly. For me, the band is much more than the physical. It is a state of mind. I know I went through a lot to get it and spent a lot so, it keeps me in check. I have never regretted it but definitely second guessed myself at first. You will be fine. It takes a little bit to get out of the woods after surgery and then it is like your head clears and you think, wow I am so glad I did this!

Thanks everyone, I really can relate to what you are saying. I quit smoking 15 years ago but that was all or nothing, food can't be like that soit is so easy to slip back into your old ways. I'm ready for my new plan and the tools to get it done!

Edited by HeavyK44

Constipation post op is usually caused by the opioid pain meds. You aren't taking that many so you don't have the problem! :) Diarrhea IS common if you don't take the pain meds. I had it; it wasn't milk, it was just aftereffects of the surgery. It passed (oh ha ha) ok went away within about a week.

I agree, the sore throat is most likely from being intubated.

And no I never once second-guessed my band, but I was 53 and think I tried every diet known to man at least twice. I even tried hypnotism and therapy (not concurrently). The band was it for me; I never looked back.

The only time I really second guessed the band was right before surgery. I wasn't really second guessing the band itself, I was just SO nervous for surgery. Sometimes I get concerned about complications down the road (like slippage, or my band breaking or something), but I'm hoping its something I don't need to deal with anytime (or anytime in the near future).

Hi HeavyK, I was banded 7/24 and feel great also. I too had those thoughts and feelings as I lost 16 lbs pre-op. When all is said and done I know I would not stick to any diet long enough. As a matter of fact during the pre-op diet we celebrated my dd b-day. I gave in to bday cake and then kept picking at it all evening. Next day as I reflected on this I realized I need this help. So onward we go girl. Btw I have had diarrhea all week long dr said it was normal and to make sure I have all my Fluid intake. Best to you.

Thanks I guess looking at my history yea I could have lost the weight but never keep it off. I would do exactally like you, oh a little will not hurt and then just a little more until I'm back sitting at the drive though at some fast food ready to super size me!

Thanks I guess looking at my history yea I could have lost the weight but never keep it off. I would do exactally like you, oh a little will not hurt and then just a little more until I'm back sitting at the drive though at some fast food ready to super size me!

Keeping it off without surgery is something very, very few obese people can do. Something on the order of 5-10%.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, all the weight loss really *is* coming from your work. The band will not prevent absorption of calories. All it does is guide you toward Portion Control by making it easier to feel sated and making it painful to gorge. It won't prevent you from consuming 5000 calories in a day, if you nibble at it throughout; it'll just prevent you from eating it all at once.