Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone know the reason why you cant drink fizzy pop, i had a mouthfull of pop today and i was fine.

Does it cause a problem with the band?

Gillian:bored:

GAS. How long post op are you?

I was told by my doctor that I would never be able to drink carbinated beverages again because yes they cause gas but also when you drink the carbonation it fills you up and makes you less likely to get your nutrients (and protein) from food that you need.

Also all that gas and bloating caused by the pop can cause your band to slip.

I never heard that carbonation can cause your band to slip. I ask how far post op the OP is because at 11 mos I just asked my surgeon about it and he said that now that I'm this far out if I proceed VERY carefully I can have carbonation. He said if it hurts, stop. If it doesn't, you're ok.

I think this is something (one of the many things) we should all get directions about from our banding surgeons. I believe there will be conflicting opinions. My doc also gave me the go-ahead for straws and gum and said the big issue with those two things also was gas (and the concurrent PAIN involved in gas)

There are many things that can cause a slip and eating the wrong things ahead of time (during the immediate post op phase) is a biggie...so follow your docs advice of course

Hi Restlessmonkey,

I had my operation on the 9th June 09,I had a drink of diet coke today mind it was only a mouthfull and i was fine. not that i ever drink much of it but i was wondering it it would be a problem for my pouch.

Gillian

This early on, unless your surgeon says it's ok (like some people's docs tell them to let it go flat first) you're probably safest to just pass on it. Once you've had the band a while, been at your sweet spot, learned how your body responds to it and so on, maybe revisit it. You are just under 3 months out...so I'd give it another 3-6 at least (again unless your surgeon says "go for it") :crying:

Hi, Yes i think you are right i will wait its not if i really need it i was just one of those things that i sometimes fancy now and then.

Thanks very much for your reply.

Gillian

I hear you. Unfortunately, I'm that way with beer. I enjoyed a couple about 3 times a year. When I was about where you are now I had a swallow. Good grief I burped for 5 minutes! It just wasn't worth it! :crying:

My doc said he preferred that his patients did NOT drink soda (because of the gas and nutrition issues) but if I decided I wanted to, I would need to wait until I have made the full transition to regular foods before I try it and then proceed with caution: don't overdo it, if it causes discomfort -- STOP, and ONLY drink diet soda.

I used to drink 3 - 4 cans of diet Pepsi a day. I just started having them again last week and my goal is to have only 1 or 2 a week.

Check with your doctor, because they are all different!

I found Irn Bru at the grocery store today, a treat that I cannot pass up.

I'm going to let it de-carbonate a bit before I drink some.

I was banded in Jan of this year.

Just wanted to give my opinion on this real quick. My md and nutritionist said no soda or carbonated beverage for the rest of your life. B/c the carbonation is the drink in your pouch can cause your pouch to swell, thus undoing the whole point of the surgery. They said it's the #1 reason why people fail after the surg. I have just made peace with not having it anymore!!!

I always say to listen to your surgeon over ANYTHING you read here. I also believe in questioning pretty much everything. That can be a little schizo, i admit. BUT..just thinking this thru since my surgeon (whom is also smart, experienced, learned, knowledgable, and compassionate, as are many other surgeons I read about on here) said the issue is gas (and pain..but NOT stretching out your pouch)

I had, before that, without much thought bought into the "stretch your pouch thing". Now I wonder, how can a very stretchy pouch made out of LIVING tissue with openings at BOTH ends stretch because you drink a soda or other carbonated beverage? Especially if it is true, as I've read, that the pouch CAN stretch out OVER TIME if you CONSISTENTLY overeat.

So Say I grab a diet coke and chug 1/2. It's going to go down (into the rest of my stomach) or come back up out my mouth (hey, PB a diet coke!) but the odds of it stretching out my living tissue POUCH are pretty, well, astronomical.

I guess if I chugged mountain dews for a while and kept them down I could do some damage. I suppose if I consistently drank (too quickly) anything carbonated I might, over time, hurt my pouch. But if we are prudent and don't chug, and don't abuse it, I don't really honestly see how it could stretch it.

I don't know that I'm right, but I'm not so sure I'm wrong, either.

Even the gas shouldn't stretch it out unless you let it become a way of life. Shoot if gas stretched it out we'd most of us be doomed just from the gas we make post op as our stomachs heal and get used to the new configuration.

So I think that "stretch your pouch with carbonation" is an, um, "urban bandster legend". I don't think it will unless you REALLY throw back the soft drinks or beer. You'll have to keep ahead of how quickly they can drain (or come back up)...and keep that pace up for a while.

I think I'm with restless on this. I don't think an occasional or even daily soda will hurt as long as it's well tolerated. And also completely healed. I used to drink 3-4 diet mt dews a night at work. Now I think I'm down to maybe 1 a week. The desire for them is just no longer there. But I do work 3rd so there's still the need for an occasional caffeine fix. I would also recomend letting it sit for a few minutes to let some of the carbonation fizz out. And drink very slowly. And I wouldn't recomend it right after working out either. I tried it once. I was so thirsty I started to chug it the way I used to. Not a good idea. But besides that 1 time i've never had a problem with soda or with beer. I'm not a big beer drinker. I'm more of a rum and diet coke. But I've had beer a few times this summer. I highly recomend bud light lime. Tastes really good as far as beer goes and went down smooth every time.