Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Started and Already Discouraged

Hi everyone,

This is my first post even thought I've been lurking here for a while now. I've been looking into the lap-band for over a year but never got the courage to speak to my doctor about it. I have BCBS HMO of Illinois and when my PCP changed and I finally spoke up. She sent me to the weight-loss classes at the clinic which is to last a whole year. I also got a 1200 calorie diet to follow which is really not helpful to me at all. So now I'm in limbo and getting discouraged. One class a month for the next 10 months feels like forever! The funny thing is my insurance program doesn't require any classes or waiting. They base it all on the doctors referral. I just wish I could be referred to the actual surgeon that does the procedure to find out what is really needed and or required. I know I need patience but I guess in my mind I've already waited over a year and I want action now! I just want to feel like I'm moving towards my goal.

I would have a talk with your current PCP and tell her you do not want to wait a year as you've been researching and considering the band for a year already. Ask her for a referral to the bariatric doc (if you need one). If she won't cooperate, I'd switch doctors.

Have you been to any seminars? Usually, you can meet the surgeon at them. I would definitely try and move things along. It can be very frustrating to wait that long but I would definitely talk to my PCP first and see if they are willing to move you along.

Surprisingly I didn't even think to ask for another doctor! Right now my appointment is in September with my next class scheduled for next week... Thanks for the support

Go to the surgeons icon and then click on your state, See who the surgeon's are close to you and then call and see how to be referred. I dd not go through my PCP. I went to a information seminar and went from there.

Thanks CB another great suggestion....

Good Luck on surgery tomorrow

Thanks... I am a little scared. Less than 24 hours left and I will be banded. Good luck and keep us posted.

Well I followed cb's advise and attended a seminar with Dr Stanish. Just before the seminar I had a conversation with my PCP and they wrote the referral. The insurance department at my PCP's clinic replied that I had to wait for 18 months before they would even consider me for the procedure. Lucky for me I had just attended Dr Standish's seminar or I would have been in tears and so depressed. Now I am waiting to hear from the seminar's insurance person as to weather or not I can go forward.

I am so scared and nervous. She called yesterday and I missed her call... I dont know what to do if it comes back negative...ARRRGGGG!!!!!