Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how much cardio

Hi, Andy;

You know, that is a question that will get you a lot of different answers. I'll assume that you want to figure out what would be the right amount for YOU.

That is really variable. It depends on your physical condition, and numerous other factors. It would also depend on what KIND of cardio you are looking to do.

You need to talk to your Doctor first about it. You might also consider speaking to a Doctor who specializes in Sports Medicine. They are really "keyed in" to what it is that you will need to acheive your goals.

Also, consider hiring a Personal Trainer. That has been a HUGE factor in my overall health. Meeting with a Trainer on a regular basis will keep you ACCOUNTABLE, and they will help you monitor your progress.

One thing that some people do when they find that a trainer is too expensive is to "Group Train". Some trainers will do this. Get several friends together who want to work with a trainer, and find one that will work with you all at the same time. The cost is MUCH less than if you do it alone. And, the attention you get will be quite individual, if you keep the group down to 5 or fewer people.

Give it some thought.

But, DO see your Doctor first, and make sure that you are in proper physical condition for Cardio.

HH

I do anywhere from 30mins-60mins. Lately Ive been alternating:

Mon,Wed,Fri 30min Cardio+30min Curves Circuit

Tues,Thurs 45-60mins cardio only

But most if my weight was lost doing 45-60 mins on the elliptical ONLY. Pretty sweet.

But, DO see your Doctor first, and make sure that you are in proper physical condition for Cardio.

HH

probably the best idea - get all the clearnce you need; then enter at your own pace.

on a good wk - i do 45-60min of cardio 5 days; 2 of those i include weight training.

i had a hard time finding my niche' in cardio & it's spinning for now. i tried to want to run, and nah......not for me.

i mix speed walking / spinning / stairmaster into my routine - but i think it's best to find something you don't feel is a chore & your more inclined to do it more consistently.

i used a personal trainer for about 1.5yrs - i can FINALLY motivate myself to incorporate weights w/out one now.....i did though sign up for another boot camp to start next wk - :) i do much better w/a nudge w/those dumbells:ohmy:

good luck!!!

I'm not sure, it's either 15 minutes or 1 hour. I jog on a treadmill for 15 minutes, about 7mph and a target HR of 140. Then I do 45 minutes of weight training with 2 sets of 20 reps at a pretty quick pace which keeps my HR up.

A trainer is good. I don't need one hovering over me, but I hired one for 2 sessions to write out an alternating day A/B plan for me to follow. I find I do better if I have a plan and stick to it, or else I'll get distracted or find excuses to skip something. With the checklist I have to do everything on the list.

I do 45 mins of cardio (hard,sweating cardio) 5 mins,of cool down 5 days a week. My surgeon wants me at 60 mins 7 days a week,but I'll take that as a goal i'm working towards..lol I do circut training (strength) 3 times a week for 30 mins (every other day)...

I think the more you can do without pushing yourself so hard that you won't stick with it, the better. I have heard that to really see a difference you should do at least 45 minutes. I try to do an hour a day, but I don't always do that much. You should increase the intensity as much as possible without sacrificing duration. People say that to burn more fat, you should stay at a lower heart rate, but I have recently been informed that this is a myth because the higher the intensity, the more calories you will burn. And the goal is to burn as many calories as possible. So basically, you should do as much as possible at the highest intensity you can consistently do!

About 45 minutes five or six days a week.

I do only minimal strength training, I just dont find that at moderate levels I get much from it. My body likes cardio, when I strength train I have a harder time controlling my appetite, and weight. I have muscle tone and strength that's quite good anyway, so I focus on running. I love it.

I find for me, when I'm busy 25-30 minutes is maintenance level, I can get away with that little, but to lose I needed that 45 to an hour and I still prefer to do that now.

30 minutes maintains my base fitness, but my speed and ability to run longer distances drops. Which is only a worry if you care about that, lol.