Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not even 2 weeks out and...

I'm so freakin' hungry! I was banded on the 6th and didn't crave or even want any food until last Friday. All this week I've been so hungry, the Protein Shakes just weren't cutting it so I added in some soft foods even though I'm supposed to be on just liquids. I'm supposed to go to 1-2oz of mushies starting Monday every 3-4hrs for two weeks and it's just not enough. I don't know what to do. If it wasn't for the port area still being a little sore when I cough or sneeze I would think I'm not even banded. I do get full when I eat about a half a cup but it only lasts about a half hour before I feel hungry again. I'm frusturated and don't know what to do!!!

I can so relate. I am 3 weeks out the first 2 weeks went good but this third week has been awful anything and everything goes down. I don't really think I am that hungry as much as it is head hunger. And my choices went from bad to worse when it comes to the food. I am sitting here really disgusted with myself, but I know that this is suppose to be the rough times when you have no restriction and but your hunger comes back once your healed. What I have been doing this week since I am eating more than I should, I really have been hitting the exercise hoping that will keep me from gaining. Good luck to you it is tough but I know it will pay off.

Once the swelling from surgery goes down and you're feeling more like yourself, hunger can return.

I was so lucky that this didn't happen to me and I was easily able to stay on the diet from my doctor.

Even though it's rough, I hope you'll do everything you can to stick with the diet. While the side effect of the diet is losing weight, its real purpose is to allow the stomach and surrounding tissue to heal.

Hang in there...it gets better. Really.

i'm 5 days or so out and i'm hungry. just stay strong and stick to the diet.

Cheating on your post op diet (advancing foods too quickly) is a major cause of band slippage. You aren't the only person who feels fine. I came to in recovery hungry and had senior year of nursing school to contend with while on liquids for 2 weeks and I made it so I am sure you can too...because I didn't get to 405 pounds by dieting frequently and easily, you know?

Get back on your liquid program and HANG IN THERE. call your surgeon monday, tell him/her you are hungry and that you advanced your diet and how and when. Odds are he'll tell you it's ok and you can eat more than what's prescribed but let the pro guide you, ok? A slip is nothing to fool around with.

Hang in there is right! I felt EXACTLY the same way two weeks before my first fill. I went for my first fill yesterday and my doctor asked me about my hunger levels and I was honest and told him that I was hungry all the time--not like the first 3 weeks after surgery when I always felt full.

He gave me 1 cc in my band and I felt an immediate difference. I was almost exactly the same as the period after surgery when I could only eat a little at a time. Today I've had all my Protein in my meals (only about 800 calories were eaten today) and feel full. My dr. did not put me on any food restrictions after a fill and I get to go back for fills every two weeks, so I am NOT panicking about the in-between times.

I'm 10 days post op, onto mushies and I'm starving too. I have good days and bad ones with hunger. I have to stay focues....3 more weeks of mushies to go.

That is why they call it "bandster Hell". That time in between before you get that first fill. It is hard to stick with it but so very, very important to follow the guidelines you have been given. They don't just make them up for no reason. There is a method and a reason for everything you are told to do. Even though not all surgeons are the same and some may vary in their instructions, they have their own reasons for it in the way they care for you.

omg i cheated today!! i had a slidder ( mushie food). i feel so bad. should i call the dr. to tell him? that will be the harderst call i will ever have to make. I ate a little more than a 1/2 a cup of cottage cheese ( i dont even like cottage cheese) ,.. i wonder if my bad will slip,.. i'm so scared,.... ( maybe i will send him this post)

Calm down and get back on your diet. I had a totally different regimine than some of you and was allowed to eat mushies on day 6 so I dont think that some cottage cheese is going to hurt your band. However, if your doctor has you on liquids for two weeks than I would try to stick to that. It is very important to follow your doctors suggestions to avoid a slip but I dont think you have to lay awake at night because you ate cottage cheese.

I am 5 days post op and having hunger pains head and stomach . i do feel satisfied if i drink my Protein Shake every hour . maybe you need to up your Protein Shakes thats what will keep you from being hungry. good luck hang in there. I keep telling myself not to mess up diet because I dont want slippage ot erosion to be a problem .

so i want to the Dr. and everything was fine. I had a GI scan to make sure there was no slippage, and there wasn't. everything was A, OK. i just was too scared. ( its like tellin you mom and dad u did wrong,.. u know) anyway. I''m back on track. things are all liquid,... ohhh the dr. did say one of the reasons i was so hungry was b/c i didn't have enuff carbs.. i was drinkin all Isopure which is 40 Protein but no carbs,.. so i have to add a few shakes to the mix. 7 more days till i go mushie,....

Edited by 85robinson

so i want to the Dr. and everything was fine. I had a GI scan to make sure there was no slippage, and there wasn't. everything was A, OK. i just was too scared. ( its like tellin you mom and dad u did wrong,.. u know) anyway. I''m back on track. things are all liquid,... ohhh the dr. did say one of the reasons i was so hungry was b/c i didn't have enuff carbs.. i was drinkin all Isopure which is 40 Protein but no carbs,.. so i have to add a few shakes to the mix. 7 more days till i go mushie,....

I think you were very very smart to tell your doc! And apparently he didn't take it lightly because he checked you out to make sure you're still ok! AND...he gave you some tips to help you stick with the diet but not gnaw your own arm off in hunger! You slipped up but caught it, and are back on the "path". I know it was hard to call your doc but be very proud of yourself for seeing your error and correcting it instead of being flippant and thinking "oh well it didn't hurt me so I am fine" or whatever.

You will make it now! :smile: Way to go!

Calm down and get back on your diet. I had a totally different regimine than some of you and was allowed to eat mushies on day 6 so I dont think that some cottage cheese is going to hurt your band. .

Many docs have different post op regimens. They (gasp!) prescribe what works for THEIR clients/patients :smile:

Docs have different "touches", different surgical techniques, different ways of suturing, etc. If your doc tells you "have a cheeseburger on the way home" then if you aren't a vegan, go for it! But if he tells you "stay on Clear liquids for 4 weeks" then you'd better do that. To judge your band experience by someone else's is just about impossible.

We're always best to follow our surgeon's advice...and if in doubt, ask him/her for clarification/rationale/help.

I think you were very very smart to tell your doc! And apparently he didn't take it lightly because he checked you out to make sure you're still ok! AND...he gave you some tips to help you stick with the diet but not gnaw your own arm off in hunger!

Note: Gnawing your arm off too early after surgery can cause slippage. It is not recommended until safe to do so. :smile: