Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Night eating problems...anyone???

I am so sad :cursing:. I have been doing ok with my eating during the day. But at night, I lose control. I am so sad and dissapointed in myself. I got rid of my scale and my ticker.... It's like the pressure is making me eat worse! I eat well during the day... Protein, protein, protein. But, then at night, in the middle of the night, many times every night, I get up and eat anything half asleep.

Then, the next morning, I see the evidence. Some stuff I don't even remember eating! I don't keep "bad food" around. But, I do have a son, so I do have some food that I shouldn't be eating. I ate half the box of Frosted Flakes the other night!!! There was a trail of Frosted Flakes from the kitchen to my bed. It's embarassing and I feel horrible about it.

Does anyone else have this problem? I would appreciate any suggestions. I feel like I'm spiraling down :confused:. I am hating myself right now!!

I did do one good thing today... I got on the treadmill for 15 minutes and broke out a sweat.

Maybe if you are only eating Protein during the day your body needs and is crying out for carbs. Try including some healthy, low GI, high fibre carbs with your protein and you may find that you are more satisfied and may not eat at night.

If you're really doing this in your sleep, you need to talk with a doctor. Not only could you end up eating something that could be harmful to your stomach/band, but you could have an undiagnosed sleep disorder.

Thank you.... I started taking an antidepressant about a month ago. So, I have an appointment with the psych. next week. I will tell her about it. I've had this problem on and off for years. It just seems to be at an all time high right now. I am worried that I could eat something that doesn't agree with the band and have serious consequences/complications. Thanks for the advice!

I agree with Enchanted, you need to see a doc pronto, and I see you plan to do just that. Good for you and good luck; I think you're right to be worried and I hope they help you figure out how to stop it.

Just wanted to add...yes be worried but don't be ashamed. Sounds like you have a little deeper issue than just "plain old" overeating going on.

Edited by RestlessMonkey

Suzette,

You will find that people will do either one or two things: support you or judge you. You cannot worry about anything right now other than adapting from your weight issue. After all, every one of us who is banded, or who has some form of bypass has a problem with food intake, some admit it...some don't. Do not beat yourself up about it. Best advice I can offer is keep your drs. involved. Just because you see a psych doesn't mean you are any "crazier" than any of us. I personally think it is a good idea...the psych I saw for pre op is who I choose to continue to see because eating disorders (whether minute or extreme) are issues that should be discussed with a professional. Stay encouraged and do your very best! :smile:

Good luck

Are you taking Ambien or any other prescription sleep aid? They are known to cause night time eating that you don't remember. Definitely talk to your doctor about it and all the meds your are taking. Good luck.

I have to eat at night or else I wake up after i start gettin ghungry with a horribel pain. the only time i really hurt is when I get hungry adn my sotmach starts to growl

Well, I was going to suggest grabbing a low cal popsicle or sugar free fudgesicle until I read through the post again.

It's good you plan to see your doctor.

I also like the comment that you may want to investigate what some of the side affects of your anti-depressant is.

Also, on a side note, and it probably doesn't apply, but here goes, you may be craving carbs, and your daily calorie intake (before bedtime) may be too low. So you many want to down a 100-calorie carb snack once or twice during the day.

Good luck to you. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for you!

I agree that you need to talk to your doctor about it...if you are doing it in your sleep and not even remembering, except by finding evidence in the morning, then you cant get mad at yourself. its not like you are making the conscious decision to eat those foods. there is an underlying problem that needs to be addressed--its NOT your fault, and the more you beat yourself up about it the worse your moral will be causing you to loose sight of your goals.

good luck, let us know what the doctor says!

Yes.... I've been taking Ambien. I've stopped as soon as I found out that it can cause night eating. But, I'm still eating at night....

I don't know how long ago it was that you stopped taking it, but it's my understanding that medicines such as those need to be weaned off. They take a few weeks to begin working (to build a level up in the body), and will take a few weeks to be completely out of the system.

But it's best to check with your doctor regarding that AND the proper way to stop taking an anti-depressant.

Good luck to you!